Silent Cooling

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've read that stock, non-overclocked Core 2 Duos will run with the retail heat sink and no fan without incident. Why is this Abit/Asus-recommending idiot using a Pentium D?

ddrueding

Fixture
He recomended a core2Duo as well, I think it was a budget issue. But then again, if it works with a P-D, it will work with anything.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I find the Pentium-D choice to be really not-good, but maybe that is simply because the project designs were set in stone before Core2Duo.

Secondly, I don't trust their statements about no heat issues; mainly because they didn't supply any test data supporting it, instead, they supply a chart showing assorted different 120mm fans with their CFM and loudness numbers. It really shouldn't have been difficult to load up the prioccessor and give some temp readings off something like speedfan. Since it would have been so easy to do and they didn't include the obvious testing: I just don't believe them when they say no heat issues.

ddrueding

Fixture
I agree with Mark that testing should have been easy, and results equally easy to provide. They mention installing temp monitoring software, but give no numbers at all.

Fanless cooling is almost a moot point at this time. The newest 120mm fans are truly silent when soft-mounted and undervolted, any case with 3 of them across the front (like mine) would have no troubles at all competing acoustically with this one and with much better results.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I have to agree. The moving air in my case makes more noise that the fans themselves.