Site downtime- July 5th, at what time?

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
http://www.storageforum.net/forum/announcement.php?f=10

" Site downtime
We're moving servers on July 5th and the forum will be offline during this time for several hours.
"

Can you give us any additional info about this server change? You mean you're switching services, correct, not merely the physical box that your current host was talking about earlier in the year?

Best laid plans of mice & men (hurry Merc, hit 10k before the site goes down)?

Just a few hours of downtime to switch/move servers, really? You're that optimistic?

Can you set up the SF home page to redirect to an news update link on another linked page you have access to, just incase you run into problems? So you can give people an idea of what's going wrong when the site is down for longer than expected? ;).

I hate when SR goes down for some update or something that neither Sivar or Eugene think is worth even mentioning beforehand, and you get that damned standard ubiquitous Apache error message:rant:

Handruin

Administrator
Umm, wow man...no need to be upset. :) For now we must switch servers internally until I can locate us another home. We'll be moving to a newer faster system that actually DOES have RAID 1 implemented along with Core 2 duo goodness.

The move "should" be fairly easy as they've had months to perfect it with others. The old site will remain up, but I will take the forums offline so that no new posts are lost during DNS propagation.

I need to change our name server IP addresses so that we resolve to the new server. Once I put in the change, they will begin the move one to two hours afterwards.

When I've updated the forum in the past, I turn it offline and leave a message as to what is happening.

I don't presently have another HTTP server outside of this company to post a news page, but the old site will remain online for a while until the transfer has completed.

Once we've moved, I still am working on finding a decent place for us to be hosted. I may also need to wait until I'm out of my current housing situation to do so, because I have certain funds tied up (for several months now) paying for storage that I won't need after I move. Once that is done, I will reallocate it to (hopefully) some type of collocation service with our own server (which has yet to be built). That's my ideal plan at the moment, but is only at a continued research stage right now.

Handruin

Administrator
The site was down for some unknown (but seemingly not too uncommon) reason. Coug mentioned the downtime to me in e-mail. We'll move tomorrow at some point, but I'll let you know.

Handruin

Administrator
I know...it took longer than expected. Hopefully we will only have to do this once more in the future.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
And I'll be in good shape tomorrow (well, today) since I slep early in the evening : I had nothing else to do.