Slow day?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
ddrueding said:
Well my 14-hour day turned into a 20-hour workday out of 24-consecutive waking hours. I now have 2 hours to sleep before Monday starts...this is going to hurt.

Moving for any reason in particular Merc? New city or just new digs?

I am moving out of my house because it was not properly constructed. Even though I am the SECOND owner of a four-year old home, it came to light shortly after I moved in that a number of building code violations had taken place, including a foundation that has at the point literally buckled.

It's a damned shame because I spent a great deal of time running cable for AV and network and because, even though my house is not very big - 1200 square feet - it's still bigger than any apartment I could find.

I decided not to buy another home on the basis of my hopes to move someplace with fewer Americans, and to that end I've secured storage for many of my belongings and a small apartment not far from my current home.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
What a shame to have so many problems with that new house. I remember you mentioning something before about foundation issues - but this awful. They might as well post a 'uninhabitable' sign until the place is remodeled to meet current codes.

I hear Norway is nice, although the language can be a bit difficult to learn. But you're pretty smart, and I'm sure you could learn it quick enough.

Splash

Learning Storage Performance
Buck said:
That sounds like Texas. :lol:

About a million miles from here (figuratively speaking) up in the panhandle near the Colorado / Kansas / Oklahoma / New Mexico border zone, where the Canadian River begins. If I recall correctly, the Canadian River in that area looks a lot more like the Grand Canyon than a normal river.

Otherwise, about the snide "bovines all over the place" comment, I rest my case:

tn_4_July_2003__Canadian__Texas__15_.jpg

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Sorry about the house, but at least you did not move to Candana - wherever that is. :)

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
I am moving out of my house because it was not properly constructed. Even though I am the SECOND owner of a four-year old home, it came to light shortly after I moved in that a number of building code violations had taken place, including a foundation that has at the point literally buckled.

How does it work out with your financing? Do the derelict builders have to pay off your loan? Do you get your deposit etc back?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Also, did you get the house inspected before you moved in? (not that any of it is your fault)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
There were four inspections that I am aware of - the one made during construction, the one made before the original tenant moved in, one made by the mortgage company that bought the house and another by the inspector employed by my brother and I when we purchased the property. I only know who did the most recent inspection.

The original builder's company is bankrupt. As is the developer and both the subcontracted firms involved in construction that I am aware of. The corporate entities no longer exist. There are a fairly large number of ongoing suits against these various entities, and it is thought that some fairly substantial collusion exists between city government (e.g. "building inspector" in my town is an appointed office. A single man "inspects" all construction in town one night a month between 7 and 9PM... ) and all of the above. I don't know about the private inspectors.

My homeowner's insurance paid out for the assessed value of the home, which I note was about $500 less than what I paid for it. I took out paranoid levels of coverage and to be honest they didn't even fight the claim that hard. I hear they're either going to sell it to someone who might rehab it or pursue litigation if they can find someone with enough money to sue. At this point I really don't care.

ddrueding

Fixture
Glad to hear it wasn't a complete financial disaster Merc, that's just one more reason I'll hapilly move into my new apartment next week.