Slow downloads from Asus

time

Storage? I am Storage!
For the past few hours, I've been attempting to download drivers from Asus. I average maybe 1.5kB/s and tend to give up.

I've also tried their "P2P" option, which went as low as 250 bytes per second (!) before ultimately timing out.

I must have experienced even shittier service from other major players, but I can't recall right now - it's been a while.

What about other people here?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Back when I had an Asus I had the same problem, not good to see they have not changed it in a couple of years.

A side note, asus is one of those sites that is mirrored for different regions. I think they have a US site, a Taiwan site and a Europe site at a minimum if not more. Try them all and I think once you figure out the file structure on their ftp downloads they are laid out the same even though the web page on top were different.

Oh and also try to get the latest drivers in other places, intel inf from intel, lan and sound from those companies direct etc.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks Maxburn, I didn't realize they still operated FTP servers; there's no mention of it on their website.

I tried ftp.asus.com and was successful. ftp.asus.com.tw did not have the same directory structure and I couldn't find drivers.

IMO, navigation was easier and faster than their website. Download speed soared to the dizzying heights of 10kB/s, enough to actually complete the transfers.

Another tip (at least when I tried) is to select the mainland China server rather than the other options.

Out of curiosity, I just tried the same thing with Gigabyte. Can't tell you how much faster it is, because my 1.5Mbps connection maxed out ...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've always had problems with downloads from Asus. Including a whole bunch of times when their whole tech support site was 404-ing.

I've also never successfully completed an RMA with Asus, and that's not for lack of sending them hardware.

Gigabyte's download service also sucks. I get faster downloads from their European servers than I do from the US, but transfer rates that are still barely in two-digit numbers of kilobytes per second. However, Gigabyte's web site never actually disappears from the internet, so I guess I can't complain too much about that.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Supermicro and Intel have always been there when I look for them. Intel's site navigation leaves a little to be desired though, not sure why they don't mention the driver you are downloading has updates elsewhere, or why the search led you to the older one in the first place.