Small Independent Business Owners: Tell YOUR Story

Splash

Learning Storage Performance

If any of you small business owners that visit here would like to tell how or why you decided to go into business for yourselves, I'm sure that the millions of people like myself that scour this site every day would be quite interested in hearing stories of valiant struggle and success and maybe even some clever tips, tricks, secrets into becoming Googley affluent.

Red_Hill_Technology_Logo.gif

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Splash said:
...I'm sure that the millions of people like myself that scour this site every day ...
Surely you mean that in a relative way? You come by once every two months, don't you? :crap:

Thinking of going on your own, Gary? What I've seen is that abilities/skills matter less than a certain mindset that you have or don't have.

Splash

mubs said:
Surely you mean that in a relative way?

Billions, trillions... whatever. :^/

Thinking of going on your own, Gary?

Well..... not exactly. Mostly just curiosity and maybe something to spark some mini-lifestory conversations.

GIANT

mubs said:
I was referring to how often you visit here these days.

Oh, *that* relative.
icon11.gif

Well, in that case, 0.3 visits per day, or about 2 times a week somewhat lately. A while before that, the rate was, oh, 0.0003 times a day when I was basically "unavailable" for playtime ( no, I was not in jail <chuckle> ).

I recall Time becoming "unavailable" more than once, like getting stuck in New Zealand for a week or two working on a server.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
OK, my small business story.

When I got out of college, I was all fired up and ready to go to work as one of the thousands of system administrators obviously needed by the .Com boom. I'd been trained as a programmer, but I'd lost my taste for it before I even got out of school.

I tried to find work, and couldn't. During the .Com boom. Literally went about four months without even any calls for interviews.

I mentioned my employment woes to my barber, of all people. My barber motioned to a corkboard at the front of his store: "Tradesmen who come in here put signs n' business cards up there. They swap service 'r find jobs all the time."

(My barber was a Chinese gentleman named Kim, who learned to speak English from John Wayne westerns, and talks with a texas accent).

So I printed up some fliers and tacked them to the corkboard.

I had a job within 10 days. Custom programming for an environmental cleanup company. It was a lousy job (I worked over a poorly ventilated heavy equipment garage), but over time I moved from programming to setting up servers and doing networking, work I found far more satisfying.

Eventually, one of the companies I had sent a resume to many moons before contacted me with a far better job offer. I went on two interviews, drove all over hell to get to them, and the day before I was to start I got a phone call: "I'm sorry. We've been told by management that there's a hiring freeze for the next two quarters. Can you check back with us in six months?"

So I went back to my barber's corkboard, this time with real business cards. I got small jobs from there: Wire a network. Set up shared dialup service. Configure a batch of new PCs. Sell and install a file server. Eventually I started to get "real" contracting work, but the odd jobs that started from my barber's corkboard are what got me through lean times; on average, I'd have a full-time contract job maybe seven months out of the year.
Over time, the folks I did work for would pass my card on to someone else, and I'd land a new customer. The feedback I got came down to a couple, simple things.
1. I did not charge for every single thing I did. If I saw something that needed a two minute fix, no problem. This was apparently very different from other techs my customers had seen. I'd also help with "stupid problems" over the phone, if I could.
2. I documented what I did in plain language. For a long job, that might mean a 2" binder of details, visio diagrams and polaroids. Originally, I made the binders to justify my billable hours. Later, I found out that one of my customers had employed a couple other service guys to come out and work after me, and both had made a big deal about the documentation, but neither of them left any particular record of what they had done. I got a customer BACK from that.
3. I was straightforward in my dealings. I'd set a price for a service and stick to it. This has come back to haunt me a few times but generally I get it back somehow. Most of my customers have dealt with guys who nickel and dime them on everything. I avoid doing that.

At this point I have 13 "regular" customers, companies that I deal with more often than once a year. Some of these have been customers for 10 years now, most for over six years. I'm not looking for more customers; if I didn't have my day job, I would, but as of now I'm busy enough.

Nowadays I do most work late nights and on weekends, or on my "extra" day off from my trainer job. Sometimes that means driving 45 minutes after I've gotten off work at 8PM. I do not mind doing this. I appreicate that my customers continue to have patience with me and my schedule.

Reasons I have lost customers, over time:

1. Someone's brother/son/cousin is also a computer guy, and he needs work. Sometimes I've gotten those customers back, later, sometimes not.
2. Personality conflict with someone in an office. It happens. Usually some busybody starts in with "There's no way he put in six billable hours..." and I know that I am going to have a problem. I've also been bitched at for wearing T-shirts that don't cover the scar on my back when I bend over (short version of a long story: I have a 3 inch long scar that goes from the crack of my ass, upwards. It looks like I have 3 extra inches of ass-crack), for not giving "proper respect" to various secretaries/bookkeepers and other office potentates, for making calls on office phones when my cellphone battery was dead and for suggesting that people in an office stop playing with my tools and/or talking to me about their home computers while I'm WORKING. In one case I had a customer remove me from their site because someone on-site was convinced I was a spy working for a competing company.
3. If a customer makes my life difficult, I drop them, usually by referring them to another tech and telling the party that I'm busy. If that doesn't work, I double my quoted work rate. There's a doctor's office I deal with sometimes that pays 4x my normal work rate and STILL calls me periodically.
4. I do in-home service at my discretion ONLY. Some people are offended by that.

paugie

Storage is cool
Hello Mercutio,
That is a good story and I am very impressed. AFAIK, very many computer technicians are not like you.
Thanks for the story. Learned a few things. Now, how to implement...

ddrueding

Fixture
Graduated high school at age 16 (1996), and when I informed my parents that I didn't plan on going to college, they strongly encouraged be to go away. I moved to Berkeley and got a dreadful job stocking pens at the local OfficeMax. I became a regular at a local coffee shop (I don't drink coffee, but the cheesecake was good). While I was sitting at my usual seat near the back, I overheard the manager complaining that their computer wasn't printing. I really didn't know anything about computers at the time, but I was bored, so I walked back and offered to help. I was able to fix their problem and went back to my (now free) cheesecake. This event actually got me quite a few odd jobs fixing computers at the local shops (Euclid Ave is full of small food shops).

Quite a few things happened in the meantime, including riding the .com in SF, having some crooked business partners, having some companies go under, and countless layoffs. No matter what I was doing, I was always doing some consulting on the side. Sometimes I'd hear from old clients I hadn't heard from in years, or from individuals who used to work for a client, but now had new jobs and were trying to get me work there. This got me into CNet, Dolby Labs, Intel, HP, and a raft of others that built up a good looking resume. These days I do nothing but consulting, and haven’t actively pursued new clients in 5 years. I have around 10 clients where I am their only IT support, ranging in size from 3 to 200 employees.

Good business practices and honest rates kept most customers, and word of mouth eventually got me into some corporations. Every time someone asked me if I knew how to build an (exchange server / SQL server / AD domain / website) I just said "sure" and then ran home to learn how to do it. I've never said I couldn't do a project.