Small TVs

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Is Samsung still a good bet in the 22-26" size? I've been thinking about giving this one as a Xmas gift for a workroom. It will be right next to the desk, replacing an ancient 20" Sony. 26" is the largest LCD that will fit and the viewable area for SD is the same as 20". Thoughts?

ddrueding

Fixture
It is only 720P, but I imagine that is usually enough for a 27" viewed from some distance away. I suppose it also depends on the source.

LunarMist

The distance will be ~4 feet away with SD cable, broadcast network TV, and some commercial DVDs in that order of usage. Are there 1080 26" TVs of similar cost? I'm trying to keep the price reasonable.

Stereodude

Not really a
Maybe look at the Samsung LCD monitors that have HDTV tuners in them? They have 'em in 22, 23, & 24" sizes and they're a lot cheaper (and 1920x1080). link

time

Storage? I am Storage!
They're cheaper because they use TN panels. :nono:

I don't think it costs much more to build a 32" over a 26", so the smaller ones are poor value. Unfortunately, Lunar says he can only fit a 26".

LunarMist

What are the panels in the HD TVs, IPS or PVA? I bought a 32" Samsung two years ago and the viewing angle was quite good. Now some day I may by a TV for myself. :lol:

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Most are PVA or equivalent technology. Panasonic uses almost exclusively IPS. LG/Phillips supposedly also uses IPS, but I don't know if that applies to some, all, or none at all these days.

LunarMist

The 22" Panasonic has a TN panel. They have no 26-27", though the 32" are IPS. 31.5" wide is too huge for the table (old one is 20" wide).

LunarMist

Is Samsung still a good bet in the 22-26" size? I've been thinking about giving this one as a Xmas gift for a workroom. It will be right next to the desk, replacing an ancient 20" Sony. 26" is the largest LCD that will fit and the viewable area for SD is the same as 20". Thoughts?

The speakers look hidden or practically non-existent. Would it help to get some cheap mini computer speakers to clear up the sound? I think a pair could sit right behind the TV.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Would it help to get some cheap mini computer speakers to clear up the sound?

Abso-bloody-lutely!

Here's my tip: I've found far better value for money in lesser-known brands, i.e. NOT Logitech/Altec Lansing/etc. As a rule of thumb, check the weight of the subwoofer (and to a lesser extent, the size of the driver). Even $50 carefully spent will probably improve the sound; $150-250 will better many so-called Home Theater systems from the mass-market manufacturers.

I'm talking 2+1 BTW.

LunarMist

There is a large window nearby so no wall mount is feasible.

It is a shame that the old 26-27" CRTs had quite decent and loud sound and now there is nothing but a tin can speaker with rattling plastic. Even my 20" 2005 VGA LCD TV had side panel speakers with decent volume.

I don't think the bass matters much. I use these with my computer, though they are a little space consuming. I'll have to see if they are in any stores. :cat:

LunarMist

Focus and symmetry are going south. It looks like 3D without the glasses. :)