Smarter malware

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I remember when my computers never ever got infected. Ah, that was before I had kids ...

As near as I can tell, the victim received an MSN message that encouraged her to download some software; I'm told it appeared to come from one of her friends. :-?

After opening it, the antivirus software had a fit, so she figured the problem would go away if she restarted the PC. :eek:

NOD32 reported an active Win32/Rbot trojan, so I cleaned it. All okay, or was it?

The following day, I found that someone had been using IE and it had prompted to download a supposed antivirus tool. I ran Security Task Manager and found a bunch of scumware based in the System32 directory. I soon found that some of it was using the System attribute to avoid detection. A search by date found backup copies masquerading as ini files etc. I removed them all, except for a file named ssqrp.dll, which was in use. :(

This last file proved surprisingly stubborn - in fact, I had to repeatedly escalate my approach in futile efforts to remove it. It appeared to be registered as both a BHO *and* as a DLL for WinLogon.exe. So yeah, it ran all the time, including in Safe Mode. Killing it with Process Manager etc was impossible because that killed WinLogon which resulted in an instant BSOD.

The latest version of HijackThis couldn't see it at all. Neither could NOD32. Merijn's StartupList did see it but lacks removal capability. Security Task Manager clearly identified it as a threat but removal failed.

Just in case I doubted whether the infection was active, it popped up an Internet Explorer window exhorting me to download some sort of antivirus/antispyware while I was using Windows Explorer to look through my list of tools. :x

I believe the infection was a variant of Vundo. There are quite elaborate manual removal instructions on the Net (which vary according to the variant), but I tried a couple of removal utilities such as VundoFix (which didn't work), and finally VirtumundoBeGone (which did).

It's possible that I could have just deleted the registry entries, but that seems an obvious thing for such a sophisticated nasty to overlook. I'm still not 100% convinced that it's all gone.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
In XP and Win2k you can do a repair without losing all your programs. Boot from the CD. After the EULA, select that repair. It erases most of the system files and copies fresh fom the CD. You will have to reinstall service packs and updates unless you slipstreamed them into the XD CD.
Sometimes programs won't run until the service pack is installed.
But, that should clean out most of crap.

Bozo :mrgrn:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Both Yahoo and MSN's IM networks have some nasty worms going around right now.

I think I'd start over on that machine. I really do. You don't truthfully know everything that was done to your machine, and the fact that there's any doubt at all in your mind should be reason enough.

A couple thoughts:
1. Kids should be using meebo.com or trillian or something instead of official chat clients. Official IM programs all seem to have the same brilliant level of security as Internet Explorer.

2. Er... And make sure your default browser is not IE.

3. And beat them, hard, if you find they've turned on the video chat or any file-downloading features in any chat program. Seriously. Smack the shit out of them.

4. I have a customer who is wealthy enough and has kids that are big enough pains-in-the-ass that I purchased a VMware license for the "kid PC" that I was having to clean up continuously. She didn't have any problem with a once-a-week, $90 appointment to remove all the crap her kids were getting into, but I hate in-home service regardless. I made a VMware image for their IM program and Web browsing, and they get overwritten every single day with a fresh one. Ha! They bitch about how Yahoo IM takes way longer to start (they click the icon on their "normal" desktop, which starts VMware) , but they aren't old enough to know how to break out of the guest session or to figure out what's going on. It seems to work great.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio said:
3. And beat them, hard, if you find they've turned on the video chat or any file-downloading features in any chat program. Seriously. Smack the shit out of them.
Not too hard. Time's daughter is a nice little girl. She even made logos for my company a while ago.

Mercutio said:
4. I have a customer who is wealthy enough and has kids that are big enough pains-in-the-ass that I purchased a VMware license for the "kid PC" that I was having to clean up continuously.
Simpler solution : Make an image of a clean install with Acronis True Image and put it in an Acronis-made "secure zone". At startup, you'll have the option to press F11 to enter the secure zone and restore the clean install (without the CD). Anyone can perform this. I think Acronis cost ~45U$ for personal use.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
On the other hand, I didn't have to teach anyone how to do anything with VMware. It's just there and it just works.