SMC 8505T GIGe switch

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Anyone used these?

I got it home last night, it's an 8 port model with VLAN and stuff. Only problem is, it uses 2*40mm fans at one side to keep it cool (it's not even warm when I touch it) and the fans ARE VERY LOUD!

I'll probably disconnect one fan today and see if it helps, so that the unit is still cool. I might even disconnect the other fan also.
Because of this my question, has anyone done this before on this/similar unit? Any problems with heat?

Do I need to put 2 different VLAN's on this, as it connects to three computers with GIGe and one switch/firewall that is FE.

Thanks!

ddrueding

Fixture
Well, I'd reccomend putting quieter fans in it rather than disconnecting half of them. Once you have the chasis open, you should be able to identify the fans that are there now. With that info, you can find a quieter one with somewhere close to the same airflow.

Just be careful, it may have a circut that kills power to the unit when the fans "fail".

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Maybe it would be a better idea to just stick the switch into a closet where it matter how loud it is? That wouldn't void the warranty either.

ddrueding

Fixture
Can't tell you yet, my switch is still in the mail :D

I wonder how good the Gig-E NICs on the A7N8X Deluxe are, anyway. IIRC they are on the PCI bus as well.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Hmmm, maybe I'll just boot with a Knoppix CD, put netperf on a floppy and try the GIGe nic on my MSI Nforce2 mobo........?
At the moment I have win2k with it, and still haven't installed NFS on it, so only SMB testing with it so far.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
This switch uses 2 of the following fans:

Sunon Kd0504pfb2-8

Specifications:

Voltage : 12VDC
Amperage: 0.09a
Power : 0.5W
Bearing : Single ball
Fan speed : 6500RPM
Airflow : 6.5CFM
Noise : 26dBA
Size : 40 x 40 x 10

Which I'll probably change to maybe this:
PAPST 412
40 x 40 x 20mm
5,9CFM
18dB
6000rpm
1W
Sintec

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I had a Nortel 24 port 10/100 switch, rack mountable with three of those cursed 40mm fans. Annoyingly loud. I now have a Dell with no fans.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
A very clean and nice looking unit on the inside.
I took one of the fans power connector off the motherboard, but it didn't help so much in lowering the noise.
The unit has been running all night, so I'll check how warm it is when I get home. With 2 fans the unit and the heatsinks inside were totally cool.

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
I'd just use both fans, and connect them in series. If the fans are identical (same manuf./model), they'd both run at 6 volts. That should lower the noise a lot, provided they start with 6 volts.

Cheers,

Jan

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Installed the Papst fan. It had the 3 pin connector, so I could just push it on the 2pin connector on the mobo of the switch.

Works like a charm. And very quiet. Good enough for me.

Gonna check the chassis temp in the morning, to see if it's warm or hot.