Smoking toys and heart attacks...

ddrueding

Fixture
So here I am, putting together my new Athlon64 system (the prototype for my new gaming center). Everything goes together very quickly, and I'm installing Windows XP within an hour. Just about the time it boots to the desktop for the first time, I start to smell smoke.

Lesson of the story: Even though the CCFL tubes state that one inverter can support 2 tubes, it really can't. And if you try, it will smoke and give you a heart attack.

:oops:

ddrueding

Fixture
LiamC said:
CCFL tubes state that one inverter can support 2 tubes, it really can't

Eh?????

Can you try that in some form of English please?

Alright, here is my best shot ;)

CCFL (cold cathode florecent light) tubes require AC power to operate. Inside your PC, there is only DC available to it. Therefore, when you buy a CCFL tube, you also recieve a little box, that converts the DC to AC to power the light. It states in the directions that you can connect 2 tubes to a single box, and the plug for the second tube is clearly visible on the box. When you connect 2 tubes to a single box, they both work fine...until the box melts itself from overload in the usual electronic fasion (sizzling, smoke, a few sparks, and that rancid smell).

Being as this was in my brand-new A64 system, that I just ordered another 21 of, I was most concerned. As it turned out, the rest of the system was fine...just this little $8 POS needs replacement.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
ddrueding said:
CCFL (cold cathode florecent light) tubes require AC power to operate. Inside your PC, there is only DC available to it. Therefore, when you buy a CCFL tube, you also recieve a little box, that converts the DC to AC to power the light. It states in the directions that you can connect 2 tubes to a single box, and the plug for the second tube is clearly visible on the box. When you connect 2 tubes to a single box, they both work fine...until the box melts itself from overload in the usual electronic fasion (sizzling, smoke, a few sparks, and that rancid smell).

What are fluorescent lights doing inside the computer case? Is it like a refrigerator where the lights come on when the cover is opened?

Stereodude

Not really a
LunarMist said:
What are fluorescent lights doing inside the computer case? Is it like a refrigerator where the lights come on when the cover is opened?
Think of it as Rice for your PC. (Rice: as in a car that's all show and no go. It generally has a large wing, a "powerful" stereo, huge RIMs, cut springs, and other useless crap on the car.)

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
OK now I see. Back in the 70s we called the cars low riders. I dunno about the "rice."

The PS for the lights should have some safety device but maybe they are poorly designed. I am glad there was no serious damage. I would not have a light in the case cause dust accumulates easily and components would be unsightly.

ddrueding

Fixture
Well, these systems will be very well taken care of. And they are far from the dusty floor, I'm bolting them to the wall above the 22" CRT monitor. There is a window in the case that shows off the goodies, and the CCFLs will light it up nice.

Considering that there will be one of these machines every 32" all the way down the wall, it should look quite bad-ass.