So Long Old Friend . . .

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Yeah, that one hurts.
What a great line of CPUs.

At least, with the socket outliving the CPU, we'll probably be able to get motherboards for some time to come.

Handruin

Administrator
I've been trying to find out what my abit NF7-S (rev 1.0 I believe) can handle for CPU. The rev 2 boards handle the barton chips, but I don't know about rev 1.x. If they're going to phase them out, I might want to pick one up. I just upgraded to the latest firmware a week ago and abit mentioned my board supporting the sempron, but I wasn't too keen on switching over to it from the XP2200+.

Mercutio

IMO there's no good reason to upgrade from a 2200. 2800s aren't THAT much faster. Cascade it down to a second PC and wholesale-replace board and CPU.

A couple weeks ago I had a 1.2GHz Duron installed in a machine that normally has an Athlon64/3000. With the same 1GB of RAM I barely noticed the change.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Does this mean that my revision A 2200+ is now a collector's item?

Is Sempron the replacement in the mobile sector, as well?

Mercutio

Also yesterday, the last Pentium II rolled off an Intel assembly line. Not as interesting or useful, but I had a "they still make Pentium 2s?" moment.

I guess as long as embedded customers demanded it, they did.

Handruin

Administrator
Yeah, I had that same moment...I had no idea they still made PII's.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Mercutio said:
Also yesterday, the last Pentium II rolled off an Intel assembly line. Not as interesting or useful, but I had a "they still make Pentium 2s?" moment.

I guess as long as embedded customers demanded it, they did.

They still made Katmai cores? Sheeesh. Coppermine, I can see that, but Katmai. Sheesh again.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Phooey. My distributor doesn't have anymore Gigabyte GA-K8VT800 motherboards. Hopefully that will change soon. Most of the alternatives are nVidia chipsets with a lot of bells and whistles that I don't need and that cost a lot extra. I expect that as Sempron takes over in the budget sector, the variety and quantity of s754 boards that my main distributor carries will improve. Right now, the best alternative looks like the Asus K8V-X.