So, who's getting a WD Raptor?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
You guys who for upgrade for "faster" IDE drives are frickin' insane.

OK, *I* can tell a difference between IDE drives in a generation. Sometimes. In particular situations. And that may be familiarity with idle & seek noises as much as performance characteristics. I doubt there are many others who could perform the same trick.

You guys aren't going to see mucho benefit from *JB or *GXP because the big "performance" measure for those drives comes in STR, and most people don't tax their drives in that fashion.

I RAID0'd a couple of 75GXPs. Man, it was fast for opening 8GB MPEG files for editing, but for opening a directory of thumbnailed JPEGs those drives might as well have been a quantum bigfoot.

The guys who talk of the advantages of fast SCSI drives, unless I miss my mark, are virtually all talking about the access time improvements that come from high spindle speeds.

In short, if a "real world" performance jump is what you're looking for, you're probably both going to be much better served with a 10k drive over a *JB than a *JB over a *GXP.

Er, did that make sense? Whatever. I think the Raptor is probably a better drive than benchmarks say.

Not that it matters to me. The absolute bottleneck for me is how fast I can push stuff over my network (does TCP/IP over firewire actually work???)

Adcadet

Storage Freak
what I've been understanding as of late is this:

1.fast spingle speed (10K, 15K) is good for high STR, but very few people really need high STR (few edit 8 GB movies?). What fast spingle speed is good for is reducing access time. For those thumbnailed jpg I need to pull data on lots of little files. I think I disagre with Merc - the benefit of the JB drives is the large cache - they still run at 7200 RPM, and their STR should be the same as their 2 MB cache counterparts.

2. The large cache drives (-JBs for WD's stuff) work very well for desktops due to efficient caching strategies. Perhaps SCSI drives don't need 8 MB of cache since they have other tricks like command queing (though this is supported in SATA, but no SATA drive impliments this yet)

3. I think SCSI benefits are from high spindle speeds and SCSI tricks like command queing that reduce latency/increase access time. And a few people do like the high STR, though few edit 8 GB movies.

4. Therefore, for my next desktop for which I will be doing desktop stuff mostly, I really want an 8 MB cache, and a 10K spindle speed will only help a little bit. Of course, as Merc points out, I may be better off buying a previous generation hard drive and saving my money for little things like tuition payments.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Mickey said:
I don't want to get a new motherboard, since my P3V4 is working well for me.
That is the crux of the matter for me as well. Should I eliminate the sound card or the SCSI HBA and 15K.3 to install a SATA controller? I think not.

LunarMist

Mickey said:
That is the crux of the matter for me as well. Should I eliminate the sound card or the SCSI HBA and 15K.3 to install a SATA controller? I think not.

LunarMist

Mickey said:

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Adcadet said:
what I've been understanding as of late is this:

1.fast spingle speed (10K, 15K) is good for high STR, but very few people really need high STR (few edit 8 GB movies?). What fast spingle speed is good for is reducing access time. For those thumbnailed jpg I need to pull data on lots of little files. I think I disagre with Merc - the benefit of the JB drives is the large cache - they still run at 7200 RPM, and their STR should be the same as their 2 MB cache counterparts.

2. The large cache drives (-JBs for WD's stuff) work very well for desktops due to efficient caching strategies. Perhaps SCSI drives don't need 8 MB of cache since they have other tricks like command queing (though this is supported in SATA, but no SATA drive impliments this yet)

3. I think SCSI benefits are from high spindle speeds and SCSI tricks like command queing that reduce latency/increase access time. And a few people do like the high STR, though few edit 8 GB movies.

4. Therefore, for my next desktop for which I will be doing desktop stuff mostly, I really want an 8 MB cache, and a 10K spindle speed will only help a little bit. Of course, as Merc points out, I may be better off buying a previous generation hard drive and saving my money for little things like tuition payments.

As far as I know SCSI drives have had a standard 4-8MB cache for a while... a year or more...

But I think you have it wrong, I'd rather have a 10k disk with the same STR as a JB drive. Even if the 10k drive had less cache.

The 8mb cache only does so much.. and only under certain senerios does it truely shine... the 10k disk will always give you its best...

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Nice to see you upping your post count, Lunar Mist. :)

Adcadet said:

Your wish, sir, is my command. :wink:

The trouble with relying on an "efficient caching strategy" is that , in most instances, the data you want isn't in the cache until you access it. After that, sure it's in the cache and available more or less instantly, but by then you have already looked at the data and you don't want it anymore.

I'm particularly thinking of large folders full of thumbnails here. Either they are in your OS cache (in which case you don't need the HDD cache), or else they ain't in the HDD cache and they ain't in your OS cache either - in which case you have to wait.

How was it my friend Tea put it the other day?

Accezz time rUleZ!!!

Ahh yes. That was it. Thankyou, Tea.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
For me, the main reason to get an 8MB cache JB, GXP, whatever is for the 3 year warranty. Performance is incrementally better than a 2MB cache drive, but the warranty is of far more value since the drive holds my data.

My X-15 (1st gen) and my WD 160GB JB have STRs that are relatively close to one another. But the X-15 is worlds faster in real-world work. Accezz time rUleZ!!!

- Fushigi

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Fushigi said:
For me, the main reason to get an 8MB cache JB, GXP, whatever is for the 3 year warranty. Performance is incrementally better than a 2MB cache drive, but the warranty is of far more value since the drive holds my data.

- Fushigi

You know better than that. An 8mb cache drive is no more reliable that it's 2MB cache brother... Concern for your data should not be relieved because you have a 3 year vs 1 year warranty. The fact that the drive might die between 1 and 3 years and you can get a replacement that will keep you going should be the reason for getting the 3 year warranty.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Stands to reason, Blake, that, all else being equal, a manufacturer is going to be more wiling to offer a long warranty on a drive that they expect to be more reliable. Or, putting it the other way about, a manufacturer that slashes its warranty can be expected to be concrned about its RMA rate.

Now this doesn't mean that (e.g.) WD 8MB cache drives are going to be any different to their 2MB cache drives ..... But if you were the product manager, and you had a batch of drive media that, for some reason you thought was probably going to be a little better than average, which assembly line would you assign them to? The 3-year warranty 8MB cache line? Or the short warranty 2MB cache line?

I'm not saying that WD (or Maxtor, or whoever) do this. But you have to ask the question.

Me, I'll stick to a company that has enough confidence in their products to offer 3 years across the board.

Bugger the last decimal point in the quoted performance numbers, if the think is in a box on its way back to the supplier, it has an STR of 0.0 and a random access time of three to five weeks.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
blakerwry said:
You know better than that. An 8mb cache drive is no more reliable that it's 2MB cache brother... Concern for your data should not be relieved because you have a 3 year vs 1 year warranty. The fact that the drive might die between 1 and 3 years and you can get a replacement that will keep you going should be the reason for getting the 3 year warranty.
Of course I know better. I back up my systems periodically. However, if I have to go buy a replacement drive after a failure, I'm out a reasonable amount of money just to get to my data. If the drive is still under warranty, at most I pay for 1-way shipping.

None of us can (or is willing to) say how the manufacturing and testing of drives determines which platters go to which lines. It could be that drives that barely pass QC go into BB models while drives that pass with flying colors go to the JB lineup. Or the QC ratings themselves could be more strict for JB models. Or they could all be the same. Maybe the platters are the same but the servos are different. Or better-engineered circuitry (doubtful). Or better EMI shielding. Maybe JB drives are blessed by a priest.

Anyway, as a rule, I put more personal faith in products that are backed by their manufacturers. A one-year warranty shows little faith on the manufacturer's part. Three years is acceptable; 5+ years is ideal.

- Fushigi

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Regardless of what specs say, when I went from a Fireball Plus LM 20GB to a WD 80GB/8MB for my OS & Progs, I noticed a pretty significant improvement.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Maybe it's that I wasn't using more than say 50% of my 75GXP's... or maybe it's taht they had faster access times than the WD... or maybe it's that the average STR of the WD wasn't that much different...

In any event, it wasn't noticably faster... maybe if I timed to copying of really large files I'd be able to spot a few second difference... but doing everyday stuff it didn't prove to be very high performance, certainly not the desktop "SCSI killer" some people have claimed.

But an 800JB retail for $100 (i still haven't gotten my $20 rebate form circuit city to make it an even $80) it wasn't a "bad" purchase. I wouldn't doubt if I could sell it for that (or close to it) considering i still have the box, packaging, reciepts, etc...

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Tea said:
Stands to reason, Blake, that, all else being equal, a manufacturer is going to be more wiling to offer a long warranty on a drive that they expect to be more reliable. Or, putting it the other way about, a manufacturer that slashes its warranty can be expected to be concrned about its RMA rate.

Yes, all else being equal. It is certainly possible for the price difference to be enough to pay for the additional 2-years of warranty with no increase in actual reliability. Aren't the JBs selling for more? Based on Bucks prevous posts we can assume that the extra two years cost $10, at least for WD.

Mickey

Learning Storage Performance
Mercutio said:
Maybe JB drives are blessed by a priest.

I'm an ordained minister. D'ya think I could get a job with WD? :D
Don't forget to use de-ionized water for any blessing purposes. Don't want to cause a short-circuit or leave any hard water stains. :)

I still remember the first time an older engineer told me to run a test drive underwater. I thought he was pulling my leg. Luckily, he told me the trick was to use DI water, not tap water (before I used the water fountain to fill the tub, I mean :D).

If it really only costs WD $10 for 2 years more warranty, then they're making a nice profit on their extended warranty plans. Then again, I've yet to see any vendor whose extended warranty plan wasn't a high margin offering for them.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
YAWN!!!!

YAWN!!!!!!!

Another "newer and better, you have to won, it's the best thing on the planet, according to storage review, drive"...YAWN...

"Scotty! All the cheetahs still firing?"
"Aie, captain. Even the ones that are 7 years old. They are still faster, access wise, in the real world, then any of them new fangled drives."

"Good work. Keep buying those SCSI drives."

s

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I was almost surprized when I saw Santilli recommending SCSI drives.

Question for Santilli - do you believe any of the newer IDE drives approach SCSI performance? Specifically, the 8 MB drives from WD and IBM, and now the WD 10K IDE drive? Just curious to get your take on the way things are going these days.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Adcadet said:

Question for Santilli - do you believe any of the newer IDE drives approach SCSI performance? Specifically, the 8 MB drives from WD and IBM, and now the WD 10K IDE drive? Just curious to get your take on the way things are going these days.

I believe any newer gen IDE drive (40GB or larger platters and 7200rpm) is faster than a 7200rpm SCSI product. And I believe the 10k raptor is competative with 10k scsi products.

In some single user senerios I would believe an 8MB cache IDE drive could be faster than a 10k SCSI drive.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Adcadet said:

Greg has always been a SCSI man. Right from the first gen Cheetah 10Ks.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Problem with the drive is that you have to hook it up to a controller.

The problem with ide, serial, whatever, is it's low cost, and, so are the controllers.

Another problem is I save my money, and buy stuff that I hope doesn't break every three years, or less.

Most of the people here are professionals, and want a product that is proven, and lasts awhile. Between Promise Cards, IBM drives, etc.
it's going to be a LONG time before I buy another ide drive.

I was 3 for 5 on the Quantum LM's I bought at end of life, hoping to get value, and some sort of longevity(probably bad shipping, DOA).

I suspect I would be far happier with a 7200 rpm scsi drive, with a very good controller, then an ide card, and a ide faster drive. In fact, I have a scsi card, with granite digital cable, laying around, with a 7200 rpm
Barracuda, just in case the LM breaks in one of our computers.

I've always been surprised by the snappy access of the slower 7200 rpm scsi drives, and had many wars with people about the same subject.

I've always suspected the superior interface, components, and algorithms
make scsi a better interface, regardless of the drive it's hooked too.

Course that could change, but, I don't exactly see a great rush on the part of the drive makers to obselete a bunch of their drives...

s

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi Tea!!

Wish I had time to get out and visit your friends at Marineworld. :cry:

s

Splash

Santilli said:
I've always been surprised by the snappy access of the slower 7200 rpm scsi drives, and had many wars with people about the same subject.

I've always suspected the superior interface, components, and algorithms
make scsi a better interface, regardless of the drive it's hooked too.

Course that could change, but, I don't exactly see a great rush on the part of the drive makers to obselete a bunch of their drives...

Comparing a 7200 RPM SATA drive with a native SATA interface to the most recent 7200 RPM SCSI drive, you'll find that the performance is virtually the same. Queue depth is less with a SATA drive, but very few are going to hit that limitation with a desktop computer.

Reliability ratings (MTBF) for current SATA drives will be a tad lower only because the mechanism being used for the SCSI drive has a higher reliability rating (MTBF being a statistical calculation derived from Unit-Hours of operation divided by # of failures). The SATA hardware and software protocols are currently completely up to par with Ultra160 SCSI.

SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) will finally allow the SCSI data channel communicate in full-duplex mode, which will be a significant uptick in SCSI performance. SATA is -- and will stay -- half-duplex, just like Ultra320 and earlier SCSI standards are now. The upcoming SAS host bus adaptors will be great in that you can use superior SAS drives and/or inexpensive SATA drives.

My prediction for you Santilli in 2004/5 is that you'll have a SAS host bus adaptor, a 15kRPM SAS drive(s), and likely 1 or 2 inexpensive "high capacity" SATA drives. As for me, I'll be plugging my SAS host bus adaptor into a mobo with PCI Express slots. ;)

LunarMist

Re: YAWN!!!!

Santilli said:
YAWN!!!!!!!

Another "newer and better, you have to won, it's the best thing on the planet, according to storage review, drive"...YAWN...

"Scotty! All the cheetahs still firing?"
"Aie, captain. Even the ones that are 7 years old. They are still faster, access wise, in the real world, then any of them new fangled drives."

"Good work. Keep buying those SCSI drives."

s
Oh Santilli, it is good to know that some things never change. :) Who else would consider an original Cheetah to be fast? :wink:

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Tony and chimp seem to have been similarly enamoured with their Cheetahs.

Myself, I still like the snappiness of my aging Atlas 10k (introduced just before the 4th gen Cheetahs came out), but the noise level has proven to be too annoying. I just don't know how anyone could stand the 1st gen Cheetahs (which are easily several times louder than my Atlas 10k), even if they were satisfied with their performance.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Darn. If Splash thinks it's a good thing, I'm going to do serious research into this topic, and it comes at a REALLY bad time. AS we ALL know, Dolphins, and Killer Whales, are smarter, brain capacity to body weight, then we are...

Law office, small law office, wants me to do a couple computers for his office, and a laptop to go with it.

It was going to be an easy call to go scsi, but now I have to ask you guys for sources to research this stuff, and when you think it's going to be a big deal, and, worst of all, I may actually have to go back and look at bias, www.storageidereview.com, and see what they have to say...
But, I doubt it. :lol:

Splash/Gary: Could you give me a bit more info on this? I didn't see any major improvement in the drive quality, but the interface sounds like it's much better then prior ide interfaces.

Now the snotty part of me comes out( :wink: ) You expect one 15k cheetah SAS to go 110 mb/sec with 16-32mb of cache?

"My prediction for you Santilli in 2004/5 is that you'll have a SAS host bus adaptor, a 15kRPM SAS drive(s), and likely 1 or 2 inexpensive "high capacity" SATA drives. As for me, I'll be plugging my SAS host bus adaptor into a mobo with PCI Express slots."

Gary, you have used prior, IIRC mobos with intergral scsi chips, and, slots that allow raiding 2 cheetahs for a workstation with about 75 mb/sec,
Supermirco, I believe.

What's your standard setup for 'work' now?

Given this is an office setup, that you want to run for at least 5 years, what components would you use?

thanks all

GS

GIANT

Santilli said:
Splash/Gary: Could you give me a bit more info on this? I didn't see any major improvement in the drive quality, but the interface sounds like it's much better then prior ide interfaces.

SATA is a far better interface technically and practically than the parallel ATA/100 or ATA/133. Data skew is probably the worst of the various problems that affects parallel ATA. SATA does not have this problem. SATA’s greater channel bandwidth allows for ECC of all data and commands going over the SATA channel without throughput penalty. Needless to say, the SATA cabling is a major improvement over what is available for parallel ATA. SATA drives have also proven to work quite well in RAID configurations, if that’s of interest to you. You should have no problem -- even with a Promise SATA RAID controller – of configuring a reliable good performing SATA array! :eek:

I can't say that overall drive quality has increased greatly just in the last year, however, Fluid Dynamic Bearings have certainly helped reduce high frequency mechanical vibrations significantly -- which is quite important for 24x7 operations. Native SATA will reduce chip count on the drive controller PCB. Electronics engineers are going to use the latest most economically feasible technologies to design and manufacture a *native* SATA drive controller PCBs, meaning very small integrated circuits designs based on at least 0.18 micron fabrication running at 3.3 volts.

So, with FDBs and low chip counts on the drive controller PCBs, hard drives will be theoretically more reliable. One thing about fluid dynamic bearings, though, is that you really should use active cooling to reduce the 10°C ~ 15°C increase in heat generated by the slightly stronger motor that's required to push the drive spindle on those stiff-but-silky-smooth fluid dynamic bearings.

Now the snotty part of me comes out( :wink: ) You expect one 15k cheetah SAS to go 110 mb/sec with 16-32mb of cache?

Unless Quaxtor or Fruit-jitsu have something meaner at that juncture, there will be no doubt that when compared to the Ultra-320 version of the X-15 that a SAS X-15 will be a deadlier performer -- sort of the A-10 Warthog of hard drives, except far quieter, of course, than a deafeningly screechy A-10 Warthog. ;)

The main thing to remember about SAS versus existing (parallel) SCSI is that they will have similar pure read and pure write rates in benchmarks that measure those parameters, but when it comes to mixed tests like the Office Benchmark or High-End Benchmark, where you have a heavy mix of reads, writes, and seeks, you'll see the SAS (and Fibre-Channel) versions of a drive do measurably better because of its full-duplex interface that allows simultaneous transmission of read and write commands and data.

"My prediction for you Santilli in 2004/5 is that you'll have a SAS host bus adaptor, a 15kRPM SAS drive(s), and likely 1 or 2 inexpensive "high capacity" SATA drives. As for me, I'll be plugging my SAS host bus adaptor into a mobo with PCI Express slots."

Gary, you have used prior, IIRC mobos with intergral scsi chips, and, slots that allow raiding 2 cheetahs for a workstation with about 75 mb/sec,
Supermirco, I believe.

No, most of those mobos in workstations (at work) that you refer to actually use a pair of IBM 36LZX hard drives. Those were the bestest and fastest and -- presumably then -- the goodest hard drives moneys could buy. Since then, I can tell you that the (now aging) IBM 36LZX works decent as a server hard drive in RAID-1, RAID-5, RAID-10 installations, but has turned out to be a rather spotty hard drive for workstation use as far as reliability goes.

Yes, the Atto benchmark showed a RAID-0 array of 2-each 36LZX drives (as setup by me with a 16KB block size) on one of these Supermicro P6DGU mobos attaining 72~75 MB read rate before the middle of the test and holding that rate to the end of the Atto benchmark. The Supermicro P6DGU has an integrated (onboard) single channel Adaptec Ultra2 SCSI channel. The ARO-1130U2 RAID controller is added in a PCI slot that has an extension slot, physically much like a 64-bit PCI slot, which is part of the onboard SCSI channel. The ARO-1130U2 only provides RAID XOR calculations, meaning RAID-0 or RAID-1.

After a combination of IBM 36LZX drive failures and need for more high-performance storage space, almost half of these 35+ workstations that used 2-each 36LZX drives with the ARO-1130U2 had either (over 3 years time):

1.) The 2 drives replaced with 2-each 72 GB Seagate Cheetah 10kRPM drives in RAID-0 array.

2.) 1-each 145 GB Seagate Cheetah 10kRPM drive with no RAID.

Some of the 36LZX drives were simply replaced due to "harvesting" of 36 LZX drives for use elsewhere -- mainly existing RAID-5 or RAID-10 arrays on older servers that had a few drive failures over time, where their spares had been used up.

By the way, these "older" Supermicro P6DGU workstations are still very much in use. When they were procured, the plan was to use them for about 5 years. In mid-2004, they will be replaced with similarly configured systems, except I'm dead sure they will have SAS drives (probably 145 GB 10kRPM SAS for most, a few with 73 GB 15kRPM SAS), 800 MHz FSB, > 3.2 GHz processors, PCI Express I/O expansion bus.

PCI Express will debut next year. Along with Serial ATA Serial SCSI, PCI is going Serial as well: PCI Express. Also of note is that AGP will be history with the debut of PCI Express, as it is more than fast enough and capable enough of doing away with the need of having a dedicated channel for graphics. PCI Express is capable, scalable, AND very fast!

What's your standard setup for 'work' now?

It hasn't changed very much. I may soon build another large scale server based on a Supermicro X5DP8-G2.

http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/MotherBoards/E7501/X5DP8.htm

Given this is an office setup, that you want to run for at least 5 years, what components would you use?

OK, back to the normal world! What would I use for a (added descriptors) high-end technical-user office computer that I wanted to keep for 5 years?

Well, given that the i440BX and i440GX chipsets, though sort of “old” nowadays, have proven over time to be very stable, I would want to go with something that seems nowadays to be equally as stable as the venerable i440BX/GX chipsets have proven to be.

It seems that the i845G/GE is quite good and likely the E7205 chipset will prove to be quite good as well. I would NOT use the onboard graphics that these chipsets provide, though. Instead, I would use a mobo that uses one of these chipsets that also has an AGP slot. In that AGP slot, I would install a Matrox G-550 or inexpensive G-450. Now, if you wanted to install a gamer’s graphics adaptor, you’ll have to choose a favourite of your own, only because I see no use in extensive 3-D gaming power on an “office computer” for the sake of scrolling and zooming speed or the image clarity that the Matrox G-450 or G-550 provides. An optical mouse would be a no-brainer, and I would highly recommend a keyboard with dedicated E-mail and WWW launch buttons, as well as other dedicated application buttons (word processor, etc.) and even web browser navigation buttons if they will be surfing the web extensively.

Hard drive? Oh ya (heh…). Well, I certainly like the Barracuda ATA IV and V drives for a number of reasons, mainly because they are virtually silent but yet provide a good level of read/write performance. I recently built a server (at work) that uses IBM / Hitachi 180 GXP ATA drives. These seem (so far) to be just fine and could very well turn out to be a strong second choice, especially if one REALLY needed the capacity (120 GB and 180 GB).

If you really want to know why I am using 180 GXP drives in a server: I somewhat recently had to build a server overnight (literally, overnight) that also had to have a LOT of storage capacity. It also had to be “as inexpensive as possible,” as I was told. So, I just happened to have a spare 3Ware 8-port RAID controller (Model 3W-6800) in stock. Being that I’ve known from personal experience for years as well as the experiences from a host of others that IBM ATA drives work much better in RAID installations than other brands of ATA drives, I went out and bought 7-each 180 GB IBM 180GXP hard drives and Antec ATA drive bays (1 spare) and built an 6-drive-member RAID-5 array. Even though this is somewhat-old RAID controller (circa 2000), I flashed it with the latest 3Ware BIOS and firmware and it now has the ability to use 48-bit LBA with ATA drives larger than 137 GB. Yes, 3Ware is good! It’s been running flawlessly for over 2 months now, providing almost 1 TB of decent performing storage to a workgroup.