Software to control hardware

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Anyone know of a program that can shut off the CD, floppy and USB ports? I need to lock down some computers, but I still want to give full access to privelged individuals.

Bozo :mrgrn:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I spent a while checking everywhere in Windows group policy and security templates, but there's nothing in Windows that'll actually do it based on an access control list. You could do it with a hardware profile, but that's pathetically easy to defeat.

First hit on Google for anything like that is this but I haven't used it and don't know how well it works.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
You can setup windows through policy or somehow to exclude certain drive letters from view. And browsing from explorer will not let you access those drives. But I can work around it to get access to those drives. So it isn't 100% foolproof but will stop novice users.

It is setup this way with one of my clients and I have to get around it all the time. I'm not sure how they actually set it up but it is definitely by user.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
TweakUI exposes that functionality. But anyone who can get to disk management will see that the drives are there...

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks for all your replys :D
I'll start checking the leads as soon as I get back to work.

Bozo :mrgrn: