Solid state disc

Dïscfärm

Learning Storage Performance

Hmmm... looks a LOT like some of these (URL below):

A place right here in town has been making the biggest baddest most expensive solid state drive systems available (based on dynamic RAM) for several years.

They were basically targeting financial, manufacturing, and scientific entities using IBM / Amdahl / Unisys mainframe systems -- until somewhat recent times, when they finally soiled their hands by offering solutions for lowly UNIX and NT Server.

http://www.superssd.com/products_sub.htm

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Prices?

I'd like a PCI-X, solid state ram storage card, for the pagefile in XP or windows.
s

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Actually, throw in more RAM and then disable the page file. I have had a glich even when making DVD movies from tape, or playing FarCry.

Bozo :mrgrn:

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Don't start me on that. Disabling your page file is *not* a good idea.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Yeah, I'd have to agree. Better to set a minimal page file, like 64 or 128MB. Running without one altogether produces unpredictable results.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't have the registry address handy, but you also should stop the kernal from being paged. 'Disable executive paging' or somthing like that in the memory management section.

What problems have you encontered?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
My favourite is Windows deciding that it *really* needs a page file and halting all processes while creating one.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
With 3GB RAM, with Windows 2000 Server, XP Pro or XP Pro/64, my Athlon64 still pages. I never even tried to turn it off.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
If Windows stops paging, then it has crashed.

Those who espouse turning off paging to disk are utterly ignorant of how the Windows memory subsystem works.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
If it is so important, then why does MS give you an easy way to disable it?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
You can also deny yourself rights to your own My Documents folder. When has Microsoft completely thought these things out?

If you're interested, there has been at least three very good threads at Storage Review with people who either wanted to remove all page files or put their page files on a RAM disk. They would do a much better job that I would.