Solid State HD next year.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
SWell, I could usde a small one maybe 4-8 BG for the DSIK, but not storrega. ;)

ddrueding

Fixture
I keep thinking that all I need is a small drive for the OS, but then the OS keeps growing! Just my "Windows" directory is 3GB...I don't want to think about Vista...

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
It's even worse when you realize that all of OpenSuSE 10.2 fits in a 3GB ISO file.
Not quite
openSUSE download page said:
1The downloadable DVD contains the packages of the 5 CDs and the Add-On CDs. The retail DVD being a double-layer contains more packages.
... (besides the fact that the d/l DVD is 3.7GB)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
When you install SuSE (or any other full linux distro), you don't need to install any other applications, which was more specifically my point.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Vista Ultimate takes up ~13GB of hard drive space. ~10.5GB without the Page File.
( I just finished a clean install as I was reading this thread )

Bozo :joker:

Sol

Storage is cool
On the up side if windows stopped bloating up like this the the demand for increasingly large drives could well dry up in the business market. The need to increase the size of hard drives for business should help drive down the prices on large drives for everyone... Maybe...

O.K maybe the up side is that I have no reason to install Vista at in the short term...

Handruin

Administrator
With fatter internet pipes becoming the norm, we'll need larger and larger drives... I'm running out of space from collecting music and shows...but I'm no where near what other people have. Then it all has to be backed up which consumes even more space. I'm in agreement that 13GB is far too big for what it is, but at the same time, that's a tiny amount of space for any machine in the last 4 years.

ddrueding

Fixture
I agree that normal people, with normal computers will need larger drives because they only have one drive. I, however, could really use a bunch of 36GB solid state screamers for my workstations.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I could use 4GB for the 2nd PS scratch disk if it could achieve 300MB/sec. STR.