Soltek SL-75DRV2 -- Failure?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
NEVER!

I had a customer return his computer because "the motherboard was bad". He was having issues with PCI adapters, tried them in other systems and they worked. Suddenly, he received a Check Sum Error, and then no video. He tried different PCI video cards, but to no avail.

My first thought, "A bad Soltek board? Hmmm. Let's try a few things." The first thing I tried was different memory, and voila, everything works. He had purchased memory from someone else (because it was super cheap) and one stick is bad. He forgot that he purchased this memory from his buddy, and so he looked at me and said, "What do I do now?" I said, "Talk to your buddy and get the memory replaced." "Oh yeah", he remembers, "I didn't get the memory from you."

Thanks Soltek.

BR

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Have I ever had an SL-75DRV2 fail? Nope. Must have sold a few now too. Fifty-odd, I guess. All working just fine.

The Epox equivalent - I can never remember the model number - has been equally good.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Oh, and the other classic way of getting that checksum error is a bad CPU. If you ever miss it and think you would like to see it again, just plug in a Duron and don't bother with a fan. (Or an Athlon - matter of personal taste and how many dollars worth of chip you want to destroy.)

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Tea said:
Oh, and the other classic way of getting that checksum error is a bad CPU. If you ever miss it and think you would like to see it again, just plug in a Duron and don't bother with a fan. (Or an Athlon - matter of personal taste and how many dollars worth of chip you want to destroy.)

My next step was the CPU. RAM is easier to change.