Solved: Repair install on XP that had IE7/8

ddrueding

Fixture
Problem:

XP SP3 with IE8 installed
Severe malware infection prevented any form of access (BSOD in Safe Mode, etc)

Solution:
Repair install from disk
Prompted for activation before logon - crash to blank desktop
Safe mode also prompts for activation - crash to blank desktop
Boot to recovery console
Uninstall IE7/8
Restart into Safe Mode
Run the following command "rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk"
Reboot, login

What a PITA.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Damn, you guys complicate your lives for dumb people. Once I've tried chkdsk /r and a system restore to a previous check point and it still doesn't boot to let me perform malware scans, I call the customer and I tell him or her that it's time to reinstall. I used to try a Windows repair, but often it leaves some programs crippled and I get negative feedback from the customer afterward (for trying to help them). I have so many jobs waiting in line, I can't try every trick in the hat.

"rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk", where did you get that anyway? Have you learn every possible combo and string out of every executable in the Windows directory or what?

ddrueding

Fixture
Damn, you guys complicate your lives for dumb people. Once I've tried chkdsk /r and a system restore to a previous check point and it still doesn't boot to let me perform malware scans, I call the customer and I tell him or her that it's time to reinstall. I used to try a Windows repair, but often it leaves some programs crippled and I get negative feedback from the customer afterward (for trying to help them). I have so many jobs waiting in line, I can't try every trick in the hat.

"rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk", where did you get that anyway? Have you learn every possible combo and string out of every executable in the Windows directory or what?

This user is one of mine at work. If I did a nuke and pave, I would have to reinstall all the apps as well. That is at least a day's work, as some of the installs are a real PITA.

"rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk" came from a Google search. Pretty neat.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I don't think I've ever (EVER!) fixed an XP machine from System Restore, but I have a whole CD wallet full of different permutations of XP for doing repair installs.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Ditto on system restore. In fact, I disable it these days.

I also disable system restore in XP. But in Windows 7 I leave it enabled as that is about the only way to repair a system. There is no 'repair install'.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I don't know why more people don't use it and simply turn off the MS restore stuff.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
System Restore in Vista and 7 works better than XP's version. And some people think TrueImage is buggy. I suspect those people are using the gimicky "Try it Out" feature or using the program incorrectly.

TrueImage 2010 has a very different UI from previous versions. It kind of pisses me off that they changed the Windows version but not the boot-time Linux version, which is identical to the 2010 version's.