Something Random

ddrueding

Fixture
Computer related...but random.

8 Samsung 1.5TB drives in RAID-10 on an Areca 1280 w/2GB RAM will burst to 1GB/sec and average 400MB/sec with a minimum 200MB/sec.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm on a limited budget.

No, sorry, my mind was much dirtier than that. I don't know what exactly has given me the impression, but I have this vision of you being incredibly upright and proper, almost British, and a little naive when it comes to the dark side of things. So the vision of you indignantly saying that you haven't blown anything (anyone?) in Vegas, just made me explode.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I get the part about going far away from your current resident to try and feel something new. I also agree with MaxBurn that a lot of times there are plenty of local gems that are missed. For example, if I drive north for about 3 hours to the white mountain area in NH, it feels far enough away from my home area and there is lots of nice stuff to see and it isn't that similar to where I live now.

I drive 18 miles to work. When I get there it is like being in Bizarro Land. Coming home is like a vacation.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Sorry for that. It happens if I post too late at night. It used to be when I was drinking, but now that I stopped drinking, sleep deprivation seems to do the same thing.

Why? I just did not get the joke. :)

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
At first it was because of a conflict with some medication, then because I was working too hard. Finally I did have a couple glasses of red wine one night and woke up feeling like crap. Now that I'm out of practice, it isn't much fun anymore.

When was your last full physical?

ddrueding

Fixture
When was your last full physical?

About 6 months ago, it even included an EKG. It was also my first ever (no health insurance).

I do have some random issues, and a multi-day heart monitoring system is probably in order, along with a sleep monitor to diagnose apnea or similar, but I haven't got the time.

Handruin

Administrator
My friend pointed out this new gui automation tool called Sikuli from the geeks at MIT. You can automate guis using screen captures and images. Might be useful to some.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
It's a great piece of technology, but not at all original. You should take a look at eggPlant. That really rocks, you can test anything with it. We wanted to use it 18 months ago but the product we wanted to test ended up being terminated.

The Sikuli demo is a bit yawn-inducing, but try to focus on the possibilities.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I took a huge pay cut last year at my salaried job. I have no benefits or retirement plan. I love the job I have; it's well-suited to my skills and talents, but I hate where I live and I'm not sure how much longer my company can stay afloat given current conditions anyway.

Last night someone hung a job opportunity in front of me. It's a five year contract. I'm massively overqualified for it. The pay is about the same as what I'm making now or even slightly more, and I'd probably have to move, but there would be benefits. I've never had benefits.

I'm still turning over in my mind whether or not I want to pursue this.

Handruin

Administrator
Sounds like the change in your life might be a good thing. It's a challenge to uproot your complacent life for a job, but you seem to have some reasons to continue seeking it and even mention it here. The one concern I'd have for you is that you'd be massively overqualified for it which means you might get bored quickly. Will you be able to do the job and be really bored for 5 years?

How far away from your current location would you have to move? Are you talking a new town or a new state?

Handruin

Administrator
It's a great piece of technology, but not at all original. You should take a look at eggPlant. That really rocks, you can test anything with it. We wanted to use it 18 months ago but the product we wanted to test ended up being terminated.

The Sikuli demo is a bit yawn-inducing, but try to focus on the possibilities.

I'm trying to find some example of eggplant to see how it works in comparison to Sikuli. I noticed it doesn't yet support windows which is a bummer. It doesn't look to be the same type of tool though, but maybe I'm missing something? I know it costs money, but at least the price is very reasonable at $35 USD.

I agree, the demos that Sikuli have are not at all complex, but I was able to get some basic and fun things done last night while playing with it. The IDE is still in need of some work. I encountered several bugs while trying to do basic operations. I was impressed with such minimal code that I could automate web log in and different tasks.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I took a huge pay cut last year at my salaried job. I have no benefits or retirement plan. I love the job I have; it's well-suited to my skills and talents, but I hate where I live and I'm not sure how much longer my company can stay afloat given current conditions anyway.

Last night someone hung a job opportunity in front of me. It's a five year contract. I'm massively overqualified for it. The pay is about the same as what I'm making now or even slightly more, and I'd probably have to move, but there would be benefits. I've never had benefits.

Well, given that you hate where you live, and could be laid off in the not too distant future, the choice seems pretty clear to me. Granted, relocation is hard even in the best case, but I'd imagine not liking your present location at least gives a positive spin to the idea. When I was out of college, I had been told by relatives that I might have had more job options if I had been willing to relocate. Now I don't know whether or not this would have been true, but I do know that I was cold to the idea on account of liking where I live ( and I really didn't have the money to move, anyway ). I think in the end whether or not relocation is successful depends largely upon both the individual and the differences in their present/future locale. Some people love change, might not have much trouble adjusting to a radically different environment. For others the reverse is true, although relocation might still work if the new location is similar to the old one, or if they're not that crazy about where they live.

The major downside I see here might be not being close to a support system of some type ( i.e. family, friends ), if you're relocating a great distance.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
I love the job I have; it's well-suited to my skills and talents, but I hate where I live and I'm not sure how much longer my company can stay afloat given current conditions anyway.

Last night someone hung a job opportunity in front of me. It's a five year contract. I'm massively overqualified for it... and I'd probably have to move, but there would be benefits. I've never had benefits.

What others said + I could have swore I saw a gazillion rants about how much you hate the people/situations you had to work for, consulting I suppose it was part of your salaried job too? You wouldn't need to rant and rave anymore on SF if you changed jobs :D (at least not about the people/clients you deal with...not for a while at least :p ).

Most people are finding out the hard way, losing their jobs without knowledge you possess, and then finding new opportunities very difficult. So many would feel nearly blessed to be in your present 'dilemma'...we should all be so lucky in this current economic environment which likely will get no better, anytime soon. So given that I'd say jump ship when opportunity lies right in front of you. It also *might* lead to another opportunity further down the road, whereas you've already considered your present job may become a dead end without notice...then you'd really be more up sh*t's creek, miserable, depressed, yes?

Hope you can get moving costs covered as part of *benefits*? Then get to a better place to live. SD would say "jump on it".

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My parents are moving away anyway. I never see any of my friends in person, either, I know internet people in all three of the possible locations I might move. My biggest doubts come from the fact that I'd be giving up my private contracting, which I've come to think of as a safety net (these are long-established relationships, too), and the fact that if I left my current job it'd be the nail in the coffin for the company.

Handruin

Administrator
If you left your current company and it causes its demise, I don't really think that's your fault. The company shouldn't collapse because of one individual if it's functioning correctly. I would never suggest burning bridges which is pretty obvious. Do what you can to help them but they'll have to know that you have to look out for your own well being. One thing that has been very evident to me is that my company doesn't really care about me, my coworkers, or how good they are and I suspect most major companies will be the same way. If they don't make their profits, the little guys get the cut.

You can also build private contracting again, in fact you may even have better luck with new people. You can probably still use old references to get you going in a new location. It'll be some work, but from what I've read about you, you seem to do a lot of work, so this shouldn't be any more than normal.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm trying to find some example of eggplant to see how it works in comparison to Sikuli. I noticed it doesn't yet support windows which is a bummer. It doesn't look to be the same type of tool though, but maybe I'm missing something?

Try watching this demo. It does support Windows, it's just that the controller runs on Unix, either OS-X or Linux, and there's a native version for Mac. Our prototype system just used a Mac Mini as the controller, but both the system under test and the tester's console were Windows boxes. You also need to see the demo of RiTA in Action - which is a hell of a lot more concise BTW.

Although the underlying principle is the same as Sikuli, the target market is quite different. eggPlant allows you to test against, for example, a dozen VMs and automatically log and deal with raised exceptions. The critical advantage over unit testing is that you're testing the product as it's deployed, i.e. from the user's perspective.

Also, your testers don't have to be familiar with the product internals, and it's a lot faster to create the scripts.

ddrueding

Fixture
Random: I came very close to being the owner of a small arsenal of weapons tonight. Assault shotguns, .308s, .22s, and a pink .17. That was the weirdest fundraiser auction I've ever been to. I'm used to winning wine, or golf, or a cruise...I did end up coming home with a serious collection of knives, some only good for skinning stuff.

Interesting combination of guns, knives, and _lots_ of booze. Not a bad time, to be honest.

ddrueding

Fixture
Sikuli is already helping me out. I like how it is installed and runs on my machine, but can control machines I have RDC'ed to or connected via other methods. I already created a simple one for windows updates on whatever machine I look at.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
ddrueding, sounds fun where did you go for that? Something I have learned is that guns, knives etc hold a decent value and can turn a profit if you unload them in the right places.