Something Random

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
No, but sometimes ellies stand on their hind legs and reach up into the trees with their trunk. Total reach is surprisingly high. Obviously they don't do that unless there is a food shortage or something interesting up there. Something is reminding me of Amarula tonight. Wish we had some.

LunarMist

Well this thread started with Thai food once upon a time. :cherry:
That will do it too. :)

LunarMist

No, they just don't work that well as stools. One failed during window installation, the other during sheet rocking.

Heh. Around 1977 I stood on a closed toilet while trying to do some interior finish work. The seat broke and rotated, and I hit a glass partition with the full force of my body. I was in pain for three days and damaged it in the process. Of course now I'd probably be in hospital. :)

LunarMist

Thinking of Thailand, does anyone go there on vacation? I'm kind of bored for 2011 travels.

paugie

Storage is cool
The farthest I have been into Thailand has been the airport, which is beautiful. I was enroute to a meeting in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, which is not remarkable. But I am not a good person to ask because I just compare it to my place.
I am now in Ho Chi Minh City - formerly known as Saigon. Now let me say this place is going places. (what I meant was, it is progressing ay leaps and bounds). Compared to my place it has wide streets. The economy seems to be growing at a high rate. But that's not the type of info you want.
BTW we are here to visit the eldest daughter and my grandson who live here. She started working here in June.
The daughter says if you want to vacation, the Philippines offers better exotic destinations. And most speak English in our country.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
The local Nissan stealership wanted ~$1k from me to fix a bad MAF and change the "$25" air filter. :rofl:

The part has a MSRP of ~$560, but it can be bought for ~$425 from other dealers. Swapping it out should be a 15 minute job. So, I guess they figure they should get $400+ in labor for 15 minutes of their time (ignoring the profit on the parts).

I'll be retrieving the car later today, paying them their outrageous $130 diagnostic fee, and limping away. The 2000-2001 MAF is $90 and with the addition of a $1 Honeywell Thermistor (135-202FAG-J01) you've got your $425 2002-2003 part. :beer:

Well done, you find this on a car forum somewhere? Really like tricks like this, these parts don't cost much and no reason not to hack it.

paugie

Storage is cool
I am now in Siem Reap, Cambodia. It's part of my family's vacation. Yesterday we spent the whole day walking through several ancient Buddhist Temples in various states of restoration. There are a lot more temples clustered in this region of Cambodia. Many tourists take a 3-day pass to take in all of them. The architecture is a photographic challenge. My problem was the high contrast situations in the outdoor scenery.

Phnom Penh is a short plane hop from Bangkok, Thailand. And Siem Reap is a 5 hour bus ride from Phnom Penh. The hostels are clean enough and comfortable. Not luxurious though in our/my price range. USD9/night for fan, USD12 for airconditioning. That's for a double room. Hot water and good toilets.

Of course, there are 3-5star hotels.

paugie

Storage is cool
I am now in Siem Reap, Cambodia. It's part of my family's vacation. Yesterday we spent the whole day walking through several ancient Buddhist Temples in various states of restoration. There are a lot more temples clustered in this region of Cambodia. Many tourists take a 3-day pass to take in all of them. The architecture is a photographic challenge. My problem was the high contrast situations in the outdoor scenery.

Phnom Penh is a short plane hop from Bangkok, Thailand. And Siem Reap is a 5 hour bus ride from Phnom Penh. The hostels are clean enough and comfortable. Not luxurious though in our/my price range. USD9/night for fan, USD12 for airconditioning. That's for a double room. Hot water and good toilets.

Of course, there are 3-5star hotels.

ddrueding

Fixture
The closest I ever got to there was taking the night train from Bangkok to Chiang Rai to do some trekking near the Cambodian border. Rode some semi-wild elephants, made a bamboo raft and took it down a river for the better part of a day, smoked some opium and hashish, kissed a cobra. Ah, to be young and stupid. Shame the stupid has lasted longer than the young...

LunarMist

When I went to work (6AM) it was 38F and dark. When I came home from work (9PM) it was 46F and dark.

I'm told it was a lovely, sunny day. :(

Years ago I worked in enclosed or semi-underground buildings. In some winters I rarely saw the sun for weeks on end. In Europe there were some crazy laws about access to daylight, which made facility design difficult. It was my second facility and first that I had full control over the design, but what a hassle.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
When I went to work (6AM) it was 38F and dark. When I came home from work (9PM) it was 46F and dark.

At least you were consoled by your 6500K fluorescent lighting. :diablo:

The End comes soon enough. I realize you wasted your youth in hedonistic pursuits, but perhaps you should still try to smell the flowers? :)

Step outside for two minutes every couple of hours, or go for a walk in the middle of the day. It will likely increase your productivity.

LunarMist

Yep, plumb crazy. What were they thinking? If it's good enough for moles ...

Normal staff were only working ~40 hours, not on weekends as I was. Access to daylight was a ridiculous requirement for every room. In some cases it just was not possible, e.g., a tiny 6 m2 final process room, so procedures required that nobody could be in the room more than 2 hours per day or something like that. Security was also a problem with all those windows and often permanent equipment backs up to outer walls in a typical US facility.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I work in a windowless room. My classroom is a windowless room. It's very common for me to not see the sun for four days in the winter time.

ddrueding

Fixture
Is it ever a 5 minute fix?

It is. This particular piece of equipment has been failing for a couple weeks, and is backordered all the way to the factory. Typically simply cycling the power will get it going for another couple weeks. This time I cycled the power and it didn't come back up at all, so I got to rebuild a power supply myself.

ddrueding

Fixture
Sorry. Scrambling to get the laundry working. Had to change the orifice to run on natural gas instead of propane, plumb the natural gas, plumb the water, drill through the stucco for the dryer vent, run the electrical, etc.

LunarMist

Damn that sounds complicated. Normally I just have the guy come with the units, hook them up, and take away the old ones.

ddrueding

Fixture
The house had a laundry room, which was wired for an electric dryer, and which we are turning into a bathroom. Our washer and dryer were too large to fit there in any case, so I had to put them in the garage. Because this is an older house, and we plan on fitting both cars in the garage, space was at a premium. Therefore I relocated the water heater to the back wall along with the washer and dryer. Since nothing had been there before (actually, there had been a door there, long story), all the utilities needed to be run from scratch.

What started as a simple modification of one room (removing a non-load-bearing wall) turned into a major project including replacing all the plumbing, electrical, sheetrock, insulation, windows, roof, doors, flooring, some framing, bathrooms, and kitchen.

Stereodude

Not really a
What started as a simple modification of one room (removing a non-load-bearing wall) turned into a major project including replacing all the plumbing, electrical, sheetrock, insulation, windows, roof, doors, flooring, some framing, bathrooms, and kitchen.
This is your trademark. Turning the simple excessive for 20+ years.

ddrueding

Fixture
I have many friends with contractors licenses who are helping me out, and hopefully, they know what they are doing. Also structural engineers, electricians, plumbers, roofers, etc. I'm doing the work, but to their specification and with their inspection and sign-off.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I enjoyed True Grit on just about every level. The Coen brothers don't make bad movies but it was easily the least Coen-y movie they've ever made. Still, it's well worth the couple hours.

If you go, know that there will be gentle, manly tears. It's that sort of movie.