Something Random

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I might be OK going down in a military sub but I wouldn't have gotten in something like this if you paid me a million dollars. The only solace is they probably died within milliseconds, before any pain signals could reach their brains, or they had a chance to even realize what was happening. Not the worst way to go I guess.
Lets see:
  1. Instant crush
  2. Slow crush, (death in 30secs)
  3. Loss of engines and comms, but oxygen ok for 4-5days and have lights.
  4. Lack of oxygen with lights, no engine, no comms
  5. Total loss of power, no oxygen, lights, engine or comms
I think most would choose option 1...

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
One reason I've avoided carbon fiber bikes is their failure mode. Unlike metal frames which bend a lot before they break, giving you some warning, carbon fiber tends to just suddenly shatter when it fails. Basically, your bike is fine one second, then in pieces the next. There's an entire website devoted to the failure modes of carbon fiber bicycles. Not sure it's a great idea to make a pressure vessel out of carbon fiber.
Don't they use the carbon fibre bikes in the Tour de France, Giro d'Italia, La Vuelta a España, etc.?

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Don't they use the carbon fibre bikes in the Tour de France, Giro d'Italia, La Vuelta a España, etc.?
Yeah, but they're going for minimum weight, plus the bikes are new and constantly inspected. It's one thing to trust a carbon fiber bike under those conditions, versus after 25K miles on NYC's potholed streets.

ddrueding

Fixture
Carbon Fiber is amazing in tension, I use it all the time for drones and such where that is the primary load. And it is the reason that it is the go-to for pressure tanks (check out the tech on "COPVs"). But if the pressure is all on the outside, that would put it mostly in compression? And the temps are low enough down there to cause changes in properties of most resin systems....

I don't know enough to know, but it doesn't align with what I do know.

LunarMist

Carbon fibres work great in tripods and monopods if the parts are glued properly. It's not too unusual for the legs of the cheap Chinese tripods to fall out from where they are attached to the metal sockets on the spider.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm not a materials expert either but agree that the carbon fiber as a composite material of epoxy and woven carbon fiber have greater tension capabilities and lesser compressive capabilities.

Even looking close at the raw material without the epoxy/resin component, its a woven fabric which, when layered and stretched or tensioned, holds together very strong but if you try to compress it, it will just bundle up into a ball offering less contribution to the composition of the epoxy. That means to me that under compressive forces, the carbon fiber part is relying more on the epoxy's structural attributes versus those of the carbon fiber.

Comparison of tensile and compression strengths of interlayer hybrid composites is shown in Figure 4. It was found that the tensile strength is superior to the compression strength, moreover, the tensile strength increases obviously along with the carbon fiber content while the compression strength only changes slightly. Fiber-reinforced composites consist of fiber and resin matrix; while subjected to the tensile loading, fiber along the longitudinal direction mainly assumes the force, and the tensile strength is determined by the tensile properties of the reinforced fiber. However, when composites are subjected to a compression loading, the fiber and the resin assume the force, which will affect the compression strength of composites in common, therefore, the tensile and compression properties of composites exhibit a difference.

LunarMist

The more one reads about it, the worse that whole concept was. I can hardly believe that anyone would go into that deathtrap if they had enough of the information.

LunarMist

Sure, but many of the legal issues will be over any misinformation presented to the participants.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Chicago has the worst air quality in the USA today because half of Canada is on fire right now. The air smells a little funny and visibility out my window is about a third of what it normally is. I usually have a small joke that the southern tip of Lake Michigan is probably one of the safest places in the USA for forthcoming climate change but I wasn't prepared to wake up and do battle with Rictus Erectus and the Bullet Farmer while I ride shiny and chrome on my way to the grocery store this morning, but here we are.

And just to continue the Mad Max references, Sunday night, we got an emergency notice that everyone in my part of Indiana should close all windows for a day or so because of a horrific sulfur smell and also to quit calling 911 about it. Turned out that the oil refinery in Whiting, Indiana dumped a bunch of effluent into the atmosphere that it shouldn't have.

BRB gonna at an M2 and some spears with skulls on them to my Honda.

Handruin

Administrator
That poor air quality and smoke hit here in Mass several weeks ago before the mainline news stream picked it up and it smelled like a bad burnt electrical smell, almost similar to a dirty oven that's under a cleaning cycle.

Before I knew it was Canada causing the smoke it was at least validating that the smell was actually reflected in my DIY Airgradient air quality device. Among the various sensors is a PM2.5 that normally reads in the range of 1-5 ppb inside but on that day it got into the 120-150 range before I closed windows and started circulating air to clean it.

A couple weeks later I travelled to New Jersey for vacation and the smoke followed there. It smelled terrible and similar to you, visibility was low when looking out into the ocean.

I definitely enjoyed your Mad Max references.

LunarMist

So what; they are going to kick him out? He's not living there forever.

ddrueding

Fixture
You're not worried at all that the recent change in government in Finland might spread through the rest of Vikingland?
Nah, Finland is....weird. There is certainly some anti-immigration sentiment after letting in so many immigrants during the Ukrainian invasion. As a percentage of the countries population it is quite significant and the impact on culture and society is obvious and negative. But "Taking one for the team" is kind of what Denmark does.

If Norway also swings I would be more concerned.

Mercutio

Apropos of absolutely nothing, I downloaded the demo and then almost immediately bought the full version of Amid Evil (It's probably on Steam if that's your thing). It's a bit like Heretic or Hexen from the early days of FPS shooters, with a fantasy vibe, fast character movement and no particular need to duck and cover. I have a sense that the people who made it really, really love 90s-style FPS as a genre. The maps are vibrant, the enemies are distinct and all the weapons are fun and useful. My usual go-to is Unreal Tournament 2k3, but the people I used to play with are all invested in Valorant or Fortnight these days, so I wanted a single-player FPS title and Doom 2016 and Eternal are off limits since they're gated to Steam.

I know there are zillions of weird games on storefronts now but I found it just browsing through GoG. I have no idea how anyone finds anything that doesn't have an ad budget behind it, but I was very happy to see that there are a crap-ton of inexpensive, small studio options I could've purchased.

I really like that GoG's game launcher supports that freebies I've gotten from Epic and can also pick up HumbleBundle and Amazon games with a trivial mod for each. Insofar as I completely hate the concept of launchers, at least GoG's was written to deal with everyone else's storefronts as well as its own.

LunarMist

I did not see anything new there. At this point it is pretty obvious that the submersible was a flimsy POS.
Maybe I just assumed that there were safety regulations for any vessel that is used for commercial purposes.

Mercutio

I did not see anything new there. At this point it is pretty obvious that the submersible was a flimsy POS.
Maybe I just assumed that there were safety regulations for any vessel that is used for commercial purposes.

They bragged about not seeking regulatory compliance. There is a global standard for submersibles, but it doesn't have any specific rules for super-deep dives. They called their craft a research vessel and all passengers were said to be employees conducting research. A dead billionaire's family is undoubtedly going to sue them out of existence, so it probably doesn't matter now, but the people on the dive really, truly did sign away their lives for the dive.

LunarMist

Well obviously the company will not be selling that trip again.
Every time I go on vacation, I sign at least one waiver. It doesn't mean that it cannot be challenged because information was withheld or misrepresented. One doesn't have to be a billionaire to take a $250K vacation. :LOL: That should not be relevant to the case.
The best we can hope for is that there are some lasting marine safety improvements that save lives in the future.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
The irony here is the same billionaires who are happy to cut costs and safety in the name of profit if it only affects average people ended up a victim of their own philosophy. Maybe they'll finally see the fallacy of profits above all else.

I have a feeling you're not going to see much of this deep sea tourism in the near future. It's going to be a hard sell telling people they should pay big money to get in a cramped sub and go down three miles after this. The fact the thing didn't even have a bathroom would have been a showstopper for me, never mind the myriad ways things could go wrong.

There's a reason most hulls for this type of diving are made of titanium.

I used to want to be an astronaut when I was a kid. Glad I didn't make that career choice after seeing two shuttles destroyed. We know even less about surviving in the deep sea environment than we do in space.

Last edited:

LunarMist

As a child I wanted to be in the Mission Control command center with all that equipment, not in the spacecraft. ;)
We used to hear Rocketdyne testing rocket engines back in the 1960s. Even from miles away it was a distinctive roar.

Mercutio

I used to want to be an astronaut when I was a kid. Glad I didn't make that career choice after seeing two shuttles destroyed. We know even less about surviving in the deep sea environment than we do in space.

There's a twitter or tumblr or something post from the spouse of a NASA engineer about how thoroughly space wants to kill humans in space, and the exhausting efforts needed to keep the ISS running.

This is something that makes the billionaire hobby of building rockets and, in some conjectures, funding a Mars colony, extra hilarious. Billionaires really can retreat to private habitations even on an entirely different planet that will keep their descendants alive for centuries, but the costs for building something like that are not dissimilar for, you know, actually keeping the entire planet habitable. Guess which one they're actually working to do?

Africa, the Middle East and a decent chunk of Indochina will be uninhabitable very soon. Humans will not be able to live there. 130F+ daytime temperatures and limited access to water mean that we're going to have a migration crisis in our lifetime. Europe is already endlessly mad about
North Africans, Turks and immigrants from Ukraine and the former Soviet client states and those will be a fraction of what happens when Mumbai doesn't have drinking water any longer, and even in the USA, everything west of the Mississippi has basically drained 1000 year groundwater aquifers and every drop of water coming out of the Colorado river.

I have a feeling we're going to eventually take a note from the Simpsons and wind up building an orbital solar shade since we refuse to do anything meaningful about carbon emissions.

LunarMist

It's human nature to explore. Whether the frontiers are way out there in space or deep down in Maryannis Trench, some people are visionaries and some are not. There are plenty of them that are not high profile like a few of well known ones.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
So, with the 5600X3D being a wet fart, I had to look elsewhere for my plan to upgrade my main machine so I could kick the 5500 downstairs to give my server a competent memory controller.

Newegg has 5700X's for, like, 170 bucks. I think with tax and shipping I paid 190. That'll do.

I also finally procured a dual-display setup and dock for my work laptop, and took a spare table from the office so I can close up the RDP settings and stop triggering our SOC. Separating work/nerd projects by desk will hopefully also help my headspace.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Finally plunked money down on my trip to Chicago in October. Supposedly arriving at MDW around quarter after 7pm on the 5th, coming back the 15th. I used a coupon code and got both ways and a checked bag each way for ~180 bucks, which isn't bad at all. I could probably have done it maybe even a little better if I'd planned a little better, though.

LunarMist

Finally plunked money down on my trip to Chicago in October. Supposedly arriving at MDW around quarter after 7pm on the 5th, coming back the 15th. I used a coupon code and got both ways and a checked bag each way for ~180 bucks, which isn't bad at all. I could probably have done it maybe even a little better if I'd planned a little better, though.
I assume you have a good reason. Chicago is one of the last places I'd visit for personals, but I've suffered for decades at the ORD. I maybe went to MDW once in a DC-9 or MD-80.

Mercutio

There's a whole lot of nothing out by Cicero but you can ride the Orange Line in to downtown if you want to get downtown. I don't mind going to O'Hare myself, but as obnoxious getting there can be, I have actual mental scars from going to Midway: my father decided the perfect driving lesson for someone who had gotten behind the wheel twice before was the drive to and from Midway, leading him to scream at me the entire time. Unsurprisingly, it's not a place I've been willing to go since.

LM's complaints aside, Chicago is a great place to visit. The museums downtown are amazing, particularly the Art Institute. Science and Industry is great as well, but it's substantially far away from the other big options. I don't think Shedd is worth the visit personally. Most weekends, there's some kind of outdoor event in Grant Park (I'll be at Lollapalooza on 6th, actually). I'd direct people to ride the Red Line up to the Belmont stop, Wrigleyville/Boystown, instead. Those neighborhoods are home to a lot of the inexpensive live entertainment options like comedy clubs and small theaters, although my favorite small theater is the Chopin, which is right off the Blue Line at Division.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Well, as it happens, I don't travel for fun usually. I have family in the Huntley/Elgin area and my mom's always picked me up at Midway. She doesn't like O'Hare for some reason.

Mercutio

The event my roommate is working this weekend, Windy City Smokeout, physically blew away event areas from wind gusts, has been damaged by hail and is also dealing with an expanding sinkhole in the United Center parking lot. She's a plague of locusts and a sea of blood away from full on Book of Revelations nonsense.

LunarMist

Have you ever seen devastation up close, like from the hurricane? I don't see anything like that in your region this week.

Mercutio

Have you ever seen devastation up close, like from the hurricane? I don't see anything like that in your region this week.

This part of the USA primarily has tornados and ice storms.

When I was little, I experienced a near miss from a tornado. It traveled through a corn field that was less than a mile from my house. The same tornado wiped the next town down the road (all ~three dozen houses, church and school) off the map. No building was left standing. That particular tornado I did not see for reasons of self-preservation, but I have seen them many times and the resulting devastation, just as a byproduct of living in central Illinois.

Ice storms are a special kind of hell because they can lead to power outages for actual millions of people when poles and lines snap, pipes to freeze and possibly burst, cars being flatly too cold to start and for people outside of major cities to be completely trapped due to the priorities of snow removal. They're every bit as devastating as a hurricane.

Chicago had 50mph wind gusts and hail this weekend. It's a big city, but there are in fact news stories about the crazy weather.

On another topic, I razzed dd about the size of the games he has installed on his game PC a couple weeks ago.
I just reinstalled Baldur's Gate 3, which I paid for all the way back in 2019 and which will finally be released in a couple weeks, this evening. It's 90 goddamned gigs. It's been in early access for years and years but I've been trying to avoid messing with it until the final product is ready.

Last edited:

LunarMist

That's terrible. The mold and fungus was the issue I remember from hurricanes, like Hugo, and the 1-2 punch of Irma and Maria. :cry:
At least there is advance notice to evacuate yourself but not with the toronado. I assume most of you guys all have generators?
I know a few northern and upper midwesterners that migrate to a southwest or southeast 2nd home for a few winter months to avoid the bad weather.

Last edited:

Mercutio

I've also been avoiding all the Baldur's Gate 3 stuff, but will immediately buy it and disappear for a while once it is ready to go.

I don't know how much you know about this, but Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 edition branched off down two paths. One of them is the TSR-WotC-Hasbro IP that is currently 5th edition D&D. The other is a continuation of the 3.5 edition rules and completely separate lore and now a newer but VERY SIMILAR game product called Pathfinder.

There are two fantastic Pathfinder CRPGs, Kingmaker and Wrath of the Righteous and they are well worth playing if you like that sort of game. They are both staggering on the scale of how much of the game they implement, up to and including "epic level" play.

Baldur's Gate 3 is something else entirely. There are 175 hours of cutscenes. There are apparently more than 15,000 possible endgame states. The game implements the ability to speak to animals and to dead people, so if you run across a corpse, you can talk to it if you want to. You have physics mechanics, so you can knock things off ledges, jump around on the maps and set things on fire, which can then spread to other flammable objects, while the smoke from that fire impacts the area around it.

During the pandemic, my close friends and I played Baldur's gate 1 and 2 and Neverwinter Nights in multiplayer, and BG3 supports that as well. The support worked so well that we had one person playing on an iPad, another on a Chromebook and two players on PCs, all in the same game. We're going to run this game as a full multiplayer game (once player 4 gets a decent PC, which I'll send to her if I have to). I am absolutely jazzed about doing that. We mostly play tabletop games over Skype right now but I'm really looking forward to getting back to something with easier visualization.

I fully expect BG3 to be the only RPG I need for YEARS.

For what it's worth, Hasbro is trying to promote a subscription service for an AUTHORIZED 3D engine for the tabletop game as well. I think that's a terrible idea because it'll be the end of imagination in the game for a lot of players, but I don't mind inhabiting a game for a while.

That's terrible. The mold and fungus was the issue I remember from hurricanes, like Hugo, and the 1-2 punch of Irma and Maria. :cry:
At least there is advance notice to evacuate yourself but not with the toronado. I assume most of you guys all have generators?
I know a few northern and upper midwesterners that migrate to a southwest or southeast 2nd home for a few winter months to avoid the bad weather.

For the most part, if you've lived in the midwest for a while and you're outside a city, you'll be able to see and feel the atmosphere change and to be wary of tornados, even if you can't quite articulate the change. It just "feels like something is coming." City folk aren't in as much danger, but tornados still touch down in big cities, too. They cut a path of destruction that might be hundreds of meters wide, but that's just a fact of life for us. My office was 100% in the path of a tornado about 10 years ago. The tornado in that case lifted off the ground less than 200m from where our building is and still did pretty substantial but also relatively localized damage.

Ice storms are a different deal and they're different from blizzards or just being cold. Minnesota and North Dakota have far more brutal weather in terms of cold and snow amounts, and if you like far enough north, your car will actually have a heather in the engine compartment to get it warm enough to turn over when it's cold, and if you have any kind of money, you probably also your own plow as well. Ice storms are a set of conditions that start with relatively warm weather and then brutal cold and probably snowfall. We had one where I live around April 4th of 1998 or 99 that left entire cities without power for a couple weeks because so many power poles snapped from the rapid temperature change. They're a nasty sort of event.

I'm aware that hurricanes are massive combinations of nasty weather because of flooding and strong-but-not-tornado-class winds, but most people who live where they happen either drive elsewhere or know how to board up to stay safe. The problem is mostly a matter of scale, since hurricanes are so damned big. Buildings usually remain standing. The biggest question becomes a matter of adequate drainage and waterproofing, power availability and what services are getting cut off from roads washing out.

The west coast also has Earthquakes but every Californian I know kind of shrugs and says "Yeah we don't put glass stuff on ledges" and "We don't even feel them if we're in the car!" but who knows when that big one will turn Vegas into oceanfront real estate will happen? I've felt a few in my life, but they were all little ones. No one even really talks about anything below a 6 on the Richter scale. That's crazy to me.