Something Random

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
IN my state of hazy brain functioning yesterday I forgot to rant about LCD HDTV's. I was looking for a small table top model the last couple of weeks. Westinghouse had a good one for ~$400 with limited/integrated DVD player in it's base/pedestal. Looking at a 19in Sharp across the isle, I could see the Sharp, and to lesser extent a Samsung, had much more vibrant saturated colors, and deeper black point (yeah, I know, people the stores screw with the settings, but I usually have enough time to tweak them myself to 'fix' them), higher contrast.

But there is a draw back to that, in lost shadow & highlight details. On a HD trailer for a movie, the actresses dark brown hair became a dark brown solid color, you could not see a single strand of hair! Westinghouse gave better compromise of lower contrast, less saturated/vibrant colors, but still decent enough not to look low contrast/flat. I hate it when every last screen you see in a store has had the color control set near peak levels as you end up with 'wow' colors, but on Caucasian faces they look like some grotesque vibrant pink/fusha skin tone....ewww!

But right before I left Costco, something struck my attention. From over 100ft across the warehouse, I notice the large screen HDTV's perched up at about head level for someone 6ft tall or taller. From 100ft a single screen really stood out for super high levels of vibrant color (and not over-driven, over-saturated color either...you know the kind, like Ken Rockwell likes to get in his images), seemingly the backlight was cranked to top levels as other screens on either side looked so dull in comparison! So I walked over to these screens, and they were playing some HD feed of extreme skiing (a very demanding, super high contrast lighting situation). While some shadow detail was lost along with some blown-out highlights (almost impossible to avoid in skiing footage), it was still as good or better than the truly dull screens to the left or right (and this one was directly underneath the HID warehouse lamp above on the ceiling). Another thing I noticed is the lack of glossy screen which in no way reduced the apparent sharpness of text on the screen or anything else..but which prevented the *ugly* reflections of the inside of the store showing up on all the other screens which were glossy. Those designers who make stupid glossy bezels, and further put in glossy screen surfaces should tortured in front of these sets with bright light reflections environments...until they scream bloody murder, they deserve it.

Anyway, the 52in Philips 1080p HDTV's is one of the more impressive screens I've seen (will LED backlit screens, once they get the bugs worked out, be even more impressive?). Directly to the right and left where a 58in Panasonic Plasma which seemed to suffer from jagged lines/motion artifacts, where you'd think and LCD would be at a disadvantage (true, in these environments, one poor input connection for the source could cause this flaw), and the Panasonic 50in plasma to the right was no better, costs just the same.

[Model 52PFL422D/37]

LOL, you'll notice under the features/spec's the marketing on the matte screen, as if the glossy screens don't have some type of hype to make them sound more desirable...trust me, they are not!

Screen enhancement: Anti-Reflection coated screen

Not sure if the 58in was a low-end older gen Panny, or the more expensive 1080p version

1080p [Model TH-58PZ700U]

Model Th-58PE75U]

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It was fairly warm here in the southland - enough to use the AC a bit. Once it was in the 90s on Christmas IIRC, but not comparable to Christmases I've been in the Caribbean, in equatorial South America and Africa, or in the southern hemisphere such as northern Australia.

Handruin

Administrator
I was nice here as well, the weather was about 40 F and the sun was bright in the sky. Now I'm ready for bed for two early-rising young kids to enjoy their xmas.

ddrueding

Fixture
Last year we went to my grandmothers house for Christmas. Unfortunatly, I failed to book a hotel room in time and we ended up sleeping on the floor in the living room. That wasn't so bad; but my cousin (6) coming in and waking me up at 3, 5 and 6AM asking if it was 'time' yet was a little brutal.

LunarMist

I just finished with the last-minute gifts and it is off to the bedroom.

ddrueding

Fixture
Last night at 7PM I realized I had forgotten one of Olga's gifts. Fortunately, it was available about 100 meters away and the store was open until 8PM. Now I get to wrap it silently while she is asleep. Wrapping silently doesn't sound like fun.

ddrueding

Fixture
Just finished entertaining Olga's best friend and her new guy (she left her husband about a month ago). She was more fun with her previous guy; her was Dutch, the new one is Russian. Coincidence? I think not.

ddrueding

Fixture
Car won't start. I was hoping the battery was just dead, but a jump didn't fix it, either. Tow truck is on the way, I'm afraid it is the starter. I'm supposed to be leaving tomorrow for LA for vacation :(

LunarMist

Car won't start. I was hoping the battery was just dead, but a jump didn't fix it, either. Tow truck is on the way, I'm afraid it is the starter. I'm supposed to be leaving tomorrow for LA for vacation :(

Man, I always fly down here from the bay area. You like to drive or haul a lot of equipment?

paugie

Storage is cool
We had a Merry Christmas.

At the reunion, my brother started talking (he never talks about his feelings)
And his sons mentioned that they had never been happier. (funny that)

Then it comes out that the brother and my sister-in-law had not spoken for a month and it was only that morning that they reconciled.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My arm is sore from playing the wii. I love the wii. Already ordered wii play just to get more games and another wii remote.

I can't find anything on the Wii that I like except for Boxing. I've rented probably 30 titles (at $5 a pop) looking for something. Most console games still have terrible controls and basically nothing else really uses the motion sensor for any good effect.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Well you are a gaming connoisseur. Me, I haven't played any video games since I was still living at my parent's house. And that was probably on a SNES. I've seen a few PC based titles but never played them.

My 5 year old kid had a vsmile that he played games on. The vsmile is not very good. Some games are better than others. He also has some of those plug in to the tv type games (spiderman and nickelodeon). And the wii is for him actually. A gift from the grandparents.

Have you played super mario galaxy? It seems to make excellent use of the controls. Or the metroid game? It was supposedly good for that based on reviews I've seen. We are loving the super mario title. And looking at getting the metroid and lego star wars titles. We also have excite truck. It is sort of hard to control with the wii remote.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Actually, what I am is a person who prefers a keyboard and mouse for input. I thought the Wiimote would be cool and different, but basically nothing uses it in any comprehensible fashion, except the Wii sports titles (and Wii play, but those are pretty dull).

I really don't like most console sorts of gameplay to begin with - 3D platform games and Japanese RPGs are yucky, and I don't like driving games any more than I like actual driving (hint: I don't like actual driving, either).

Still, I was thinking there would be more out there where a swing would be a swing or a jab would be a jab. I kind of think that game programmers just haven't figured out the potential for that sort of play, and/or they are too worried about porting their games to other consoles and/or ruining PC gaming by porting to PCs as well.

Handruin

Administrator
I've been loving Super Mario Galaxy. I just got Guitar Hero III for the Wii and I've been paying all day. I brought it over my friends tonight and we played all night. It's a lot of fun to play on any console system, not just the Wii.

Rock band is by far one of the most fun games I've played with a group of friends in a long time when you have all the pieces (Guitars, drum kit, and voice). I wish they had it for the Wii, I would buy it. I'm considering an xbox 360 just to get rock band.

Handruin

Administrator
Actually, what I am is a person who prefers a keyboard and mouse for input. I thought the Wiimote would be cool and different, but basically nothing uses it in any comprehensible fashion, except the Wii sports titles (and Wii play, but those are pretty dull).

I really don't like most console sorts of gameplay to begin with - 3D platform games and Japanese RPGs are yucky, and I don't like driving games any more than I like actual driving (hint: I don't like actual driving, either).

Still, I was thinking there would be more out there where a swing would be a swing or a jab would be a jab. I kind of think that game programmers just haven't figured out the potential for that sort of play, and/or they are too worried about porting their games to other consoles and/or ruining PC gaming by porting to PCs as well.

Have you tried Wario Wares: Smooth Moves?

ddrueding

Fixture
Turned out the car battery was just really, really dead. The tow truck had to let it charge for 10+ minutes and have his truck attached simultaneously to get it to turn over. But now all is well, except for the $90 fee to jump my car. Shouldn't have let my AAA expire.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Turned out the car battery was just really, really dead. The tow truck had to let it charge for 10+ minutes and have his truck attached simultaneously to get it to turn over. But now all is well, except for the $90 fee to jump my car. Shouldn't have let my AAA expire.

There has to be a reason the battery went dead. The easiest thing to check/fix is the battery connections. They need to be clean and tight.
If the battery is over 3 years old, you may want to consider a new one.
And, it would take days if not weeks for an iPod/cell phone/gps device to fully discharge the battery.

Bozo :joker:

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!

My insurance covers up to $75/incident for a jump, tow or tire change.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
There has to be a reason the battery went dead. The easiest thing to check/fix is the battery connections. They need to be clean and tight.
If the battery is over 3 years old, you may want to consider a new one.
And, it would take days if not weeks for an iPod/cell phone/gps device to fully discharge the battery.

Bozo :joker:

My jetta battery doesn't last long just sitting either. I think it is the alarm system.

ddrueding

Fixture

Radar Detector, and nearly 5 days. I forget to turn it off all the time, but I usually don't let the car sit for more than 12 hours at a time, so it doesn't matter.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Woooohoooo!

It was 6 years ago that the storage world almost ended.

Drama queen ;)

I didn't know LM watched Battlestar Galactica...?

Or were you referring to the ominous blackhole of storage known to all as the Deathstar (from IBM)? :p Pretty soon SSD's will replace HD's in common uses and you wont have to worry as much.

@MacWorld SF in a few weeks, rumors are a whirl that Apple will announce their ultra-thin laptop, which will supposedly use SSD's instead of HD's; Steve-0's usual keynote reality distortion field presentations are usually good for lots of parody. But Apple may have the last laugh as some predict the stock will hit $600 by next year (which would give them greater market cap than current Google & Microsoft...not that these will stay stagnant).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalypticism

It's the end of the world as we know it...Happy New Years, w00t

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Hope most of your 2008s suck less than my 2007 did.

You just won the Superbowl Merc, what are you going to do next? Going to Disneyland?

Well I'm still stuck with my cold virus, though it's almost gone after 16 Effin days, so I'm just about to go to sleep after a few glasses of wine...no partee'ing for me. Tomorrow, if ya didn't go to that Chinese restaurant for Christmas, you can go for NY's...damn it's going to be in the mid '70's for the Rose Bowl, might as well be in Australia, supposed to be winter here in So. Cal., no luck.

On another note Merc, in 2008 you are going to get a MacBookPro, cause you've seen the story in PCMag, MBP runs Vista faster than any other laptop (that they tested). Alright, just to say you have one, maybe the Mac Mini, bastard son of Apple, might not get canned, and will finally ditch the 950 builtin graphics and get upgraded to x3100/Santa Rosa chipset.

Then you can change your world of sux. See, you can then converse on all the Mac forums. Like this female who sent me an unsolicited PM, in response to a comment I made in jest on a thread...said she wasn't a tease at all, that she follows through, lol.

Then I replied she's a sassy lass. to which she replied 'sassy, dirty, flirty'. That 3 words to describe what she likes "couch, on top, leaned back". I replied I need to take a cold shower, a very cold shower :D. and suggested she was in her youth, when she needed the money, the model for this 1997 Macworld mag print ad for Macromedia. Oh, hurt me, hurt me ;)

To which she replied 'showers, control' 'did I tell you what I like to do in showers'

hehe, I tell you Merc, they aren't all like that in California, but you know, if you never want to travel, how are you going to meet our famous California naughty, bad, bad, bad women (like Lindsay, Paris, Brittany & now DUI/drugs mug shot Mischa Barton) :D

Control-macromedia-dom-ad.jpg

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Well, 2007 was marginally better for me than 2006. And up until 2007 all my years were getting progressively worse since at least about 1982. I'll take marginally better over worse any day. Now let's hope the trend continues in 2008. Don't get me wrong. Just so you don't get the wrong impression, my life still mostly sucks big time. It just sucks a little less. Maybe a few years of this new trend and it'll be almost at the point of actually being worth getting up for most days.

LunarMist

My 2007 was OK, but not great. Unfortunately 2008 will be quite bad, perhaps even horrific. The line between denial and acceptance is a narrow one.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Is thar some way I can blick those ofensive images?
Click "User CP" in the top bar. Click "Edit Options" in the left menu that comes up. Scroll down to Thread Display options and uncheck the last checkbox "Show Images (including attached images and images in