Something Random

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Today my wife went back to work after being off for 12-weeks with the birth of our son. I am now Mr. Mom for the month of Feb. This should be very interesting!

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
FMLA. I am, by law, allowed to take up to 12 weeks off and be guaranteed my job back. For me, it is w/o pay though. Shan's work paid her salary for 6 weeks of disability + an extra 2 weeks because they are nice. I would have taken more than a month but I think I will be ready to go back to work after 30 days. Anyway, we have family who will watch Brendan we're both back to work so that's not a big deal. I figured...when will I ever be able to take a month off work and have my job waiting for me? So, I decided to take the month and bond with my son. First day has been great! I, unfortunately, will have to train him to sleep in his crib. Could be rough. :-(

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Oh crap, I stepped on a spudger in the dark and right foot is punctured.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
As I was closing Firefox to install another program, I noticed that I tend to keep a few tabs open:

firefox_190tabs.png

... and this was after closing a couple dozen tabs because Firefox seemed a little sluggish ;)

I think the memory usage was around a gig, and the commit charge was almost 1.5 GB when I hit Alt+F4.

LunarMist

It's a tool, and an old one at that. Maybe they are called something else now.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Sorry, I meant the memory usage for the firefox.exe process was around a gig, and its commit charge was 1.5 GB.

Overall system... I'm usually using around the same amount as you are or more... 2-2.5 GB mem used and 3.5-5 GB commit charge.

taskman_perf.png

ddrueding

Fixture
Rebuilding the kitchen sink today. The faucet is so cheap that it can't be serviced; must be replaced completely. The threaded gasket on the back of the p-trap had essentially dissolved and disintegrated in my hand. The apartment manager should take care of these things, but I've violated the rental agreement so much* I don't want her in here.

*Ceiling-mounted projector with in-wall cabling, Wall-mounted LCD TV, wall-mounted speakers, track-lighting, dimmer switches, new shower, etc.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
With rental property once you change out a fixture or say put in a ceiling fan it becomes a part of the property. That is, if the landlord knows about it.

ddrueding

Fixture
It is indeed a part of the property, but I don't want it back. The issue is that she doesn't know about it. All changes are significant improvements and are to code, but she doesn't like me and would evict if she had a chance.

ddrueding

Fixture
She is a little old lady that likes to inconvenience other people because it makes her feel important. She is the owner of this 100+ unit complex with average rent in the $1500+/mo range; she could live anywhere, but she lives here on the ground floor. She has owned it since the 60s. She even employs a proper building manager. But she spends her days walking around the complex finding things to complain about. One day she came to my door and informed me that a mop had been left on my deck since 1:30PM the previous day (she was accurate to about 10 minutes). She once evicted someone because their newborn baby was making too much noise (this reportedly cost her $10k+ in a lawsuit). Another lawsuit was filed when she let herself into an apartment without knocking. I've met a few other current and former residents at a Christmas party (held while she was out of town), and have not repeated the information I couldn't confirm. I've already received 4 verbal warnings and one written. Technically she only needs one more written to begin eviction procedures.

Bottom line: She is evil and takes pleasure from making other people miserable. I want no more exposure to her than necessary.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
I ate the fugu and survived. :)

Popular with thrill seekers here in So. Cal., though I live nearby 'The Hump', last time I was there, the overpriced farmed Spanish otoro was uninspiring @$20 for two pieces :(. Not inclined to pay much more for slivers of what kind of looks like halibut carpacio. Besides, I find some women to be more 'toxic'...though the cute thing young thang at the local Whole Foods Market, wears a black cleavage exposing/showing T-shirt that has in dull gold letters across her chest/breasts "Sweet & Toxic" :D...hmm, that sounds kind of tasty.

2pt video of 'Poison blowfish'

http://deependdining.blogspot.com/2005/12/eat-fugu-or-die-tryin-fugu-sashi-hump.html

http://deependdining.blogspot.com/2005/12/eat-fugu-or-die-tryin-fugu-sashi-hump_10.html

Think Merc would more appreciate the AYCE $3.99

http://www.deependdining.com/2007_09_01_archive.html

LunarMist

This was the real deal at an expensive native restaurant, not a Japanese restaurant in LA. ;)

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Mmmm...Thai Orange Chicken...tasty :eek:

I think there was some lemon grass in one of 6 dozen or so of the steamed dumplings I got today for Chinese New Years...I'm sure it was from Empress (regular menu item btw), 'fun gor' (each restaurant will have a different spelling and different ingredients...so YMMV).

Left West LA area (my friend took a whole friggin hour after I called him @8:15AM to finally get dressed and get ready "I work for a living" is what his usual excuse is, to which I say "you party for a living, were out Saturday night clubbing with Paris until 3AM"). Only made it to Monterey Park/Alhambra this time, busier than hell on this weekend. Started in earnest @9:45 at EHS, ordered quickly, walked across the street to Capitol Seafood, ordered some more take out dim sum, told both places we'd be back in a ~hour. Drove to 'The Kitchen' where the only manager that actually comprehends English (the others seem to recognize what you are saying but in the end it doesn't quite register the same with them), was not yet on duty. Ordered, showed them my pix from my tiny 1.5in Oly C50Z PnS digicam of what I wanted, manager said he understood, we would be back in 45min. Went shopping at the local large Chinese super market...too early for hottie Chinese babes to be waken from their blissful slumber, who must have been partying like it was 1999 the Saturday the night before as it hit 83F in Los Angeles Saturday. Bought some water chestnuts, bean sprouts, asparagus, then back to pickup the dim sum from the 3rd place. Arggh, I opened the styro containers only to find the competely wrong items, by which time the only English comprehension manager was there, got our order re-done, said we would be back.

Of to pickup 2 other orders 2mi away at the 1st 2 stops, but then decided to go 1mi south and see what they had at Elite Restaurant. By then it was a zoo @11AM, but we ordered and left, back north to pickup the 1st 2 orders...which we did not check for corrrectness. Further north to the place that screwed up our order, for re-compensation, finally getting what was originally ordered. Back south on Atlantic Blvd, decided to stop by an old institution in Monterey Park, NBC restaurant or 20+yrs. They were open while construction was being done to expand to twice the originial size building (probably be the biggest of them all after expansion, 500+ seating), but parking was impossible to find @11:30AM. But my friend had closed own this place with another wine shop owner who likes to spend $$$$ during the week for dinner. The manager there recognized my friend, and proceeded to quickly personally grab 4 dim sum items off of the carts circulating the big room for us. We asked how much we owed him and he said $15 (kind of steep, but we were in and out like in 10 minutes...preferential treatment while the pions waited their turn :) ).

Back down to Elite to pick up order there, as it was now 12:30PM. 30 minutes later, back to the westside, and we are steaming in bamboo steamer the dumplings that need reheating via steam, and heating deep-fried items in the toaster oven. 1PM we have 3 bottles wine, including one of 18.2% alc Zinfandel :p open. 4PM, polished off 'a few' dim sum items and most of 3 bottles, so we quickly ice bucket chilled a inexpensive French Champagne, 5PM I left for home, completely 'played', stuffed, with alcohol and dim sum. Seeeeeesh, good thing I only do this once a year. Hope I dont have a hangover later, time to watch the Grammy's or fall asleep for a nap. Had my camera set up with tripod for pictures...did not take one picture... :p

Fin.

LunarMist

Sick and tired of ORD, flying, snowed in, cancellations, and now just the cold. Going LAX to ORD and STL one's head will ache, perhaps caused by thermal expansion of the skull bones in a short time. ;) Will this winter ever end?

ddrueding

Fixture
Winter ended here on Friday. 72F and sunny ever since. I'll be leaving for Houston, TX on Wed. Why couldn't the relatives live in the only decent city in Texas (Austin)?

Last edited:

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I last configured one in the late nineties. For the ignoramus I was and am, it wasn't too difficult. You're probably working with a current model with an obfuscated UI.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I hate SonicWall. Could they have made it any more complicated? I still haven't figured out how to do NAT translation...

I worked on one last year. Configuration wasn't straight forward compared to what I was used to. Merc likes them though.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
[FONT=&quot]On this day in 2005, YouTube launched. In 1995, Kevin Mitnick was arrested by the FBI and charged with breaking into some of the United States' most "secure" computer systems. In 1946, the first general-purpose electronic computer, ENIAC (Electronic Numerical Integrator and Computer), unveiled at the University of Pennsylvania. And in 399 BC, the philosopher Socrates was sentenced to death. Happy Birthday Alex Borstein (1973), Chris Farley (1964-1997), Janice Dickinson (1955), Matt Groening (1954), Jane Seymour (1951), Harvey Korman (1927), Cesar Romero (1907-1994), John Barrymore (1882-1942), Susan B. Anthony (1820-1906) and Galileo Galilei (1564-1642).

"All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure."
- Mark Twain[/FONT]