Something Random

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It is the only way I can think of to know where a camera is pointing when it is flying 50' overhead. Even if the live view is 2fps, at least I know about where it is pointing.

I'm sure what you are up to, but consider:

1. Do you need a permit?
2. Will property damage, injury, or death(s) be covered by your liability insurance?
3. What do serious users or professionals do to accomplish the same goal. The proposed 5D II setup is most likely a Mickey Mouse solution that has been previously solved better by knowledgeable people.

LunarMist

You're missing out Uda. Thongs are far from grotesque and removing the hair is a wonderful thing.

Oh man, the Uda quotes...

FWIW, I'm from an older generation where women were more "natural" so it is not an issue. Of course at my age I can't see any details up close without reading glasses. :) Maybe it is better that way.

Stereodude

Not really a
3. What do serious users or professionals do to accomplish the same goal. The proposed 5D II setup is most likely a Mickey Mouse solution that has been previously solved better by knowledgeable people.
Kite Aerial Photography is fairly popular and likely safer for your camera and others.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Mmmm...Thai Orange Chicken...tasty :eek:

MMMmmm...uhhh...uhhh...ah...mmmMMM>>> kimchi.

I prefer the cuttie daughter of the mother who make the traditional staple, but when without, might as well drown myself in misery with some kimchi...right Merc? :p

Made by the experienced hands of low wage Latino immigrants of course, so to be produced in Mexico, then maybe Wal-Mart will start importing it from near slave labor working conditions in China, lol. I'm sure now that CostCo & Wal-Mart have it, they'll try to undercut the pricing by going to cheaper foreign markets.

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-kimchi22-2009apr22,0,3891930.story

even in this economy, the market for Cosmos' kimchi is likely to expand. Kimchi is, after all, a Korean staple, like milk and bread. Then there are the shoppers who've begun flocking to Costco and Wal-Mart to stretch their budgets and have discovered the red-covered pails that cost about $6.

"I got a call from Costco's Southeast regional office, which handles Florida and Georgia, asking for pricing and a sample," Kim says excitedly from inside his office, where the sharp smell of garlic permeates the air. The 49-year-old also just got back from a trip to the Midwest, where he discovered one of the company's private labels (Cosmos also produces the brands Josan and Frieda's) in a Wal-Mart in Hastings, Neb.

Kimchi-making was once a family affair in which grandmothers, mothers, daughters and aunts would gather for the arduous task of grinding together a peppery paste to be stuffed by hand between each layer in a head of cabbage. Centuries-old recipes have been proudly passed down through the generations....

"Korea is changing," Kim says with a shrug as he walks through his compact factory, careful to avoid the pools of water that appear every few minutes as containers are rinsed and machines are hosed down.

"Young women don't know how to make kimchi; they buy it. Normally, Korean women stayed home, but now a lot of them are working, and making kimchi takes too much time."

Korean America has changed as well. While the first generation brought with it secret formulas for jars of pickled goodness, their American-raised children have, for the most part, been indifferent to learning how to make the dish. They rely on Mom and Korean markets that offer store-made versions by the pound, along with aisles of packaged brands.

Kim says Cosmos is the largest kimchi factory in the United States, an attribute acknowledged even by its main competitor, King's Kimchi in San Francisco, which has been around since 1965.

Traditional kimchi can take weeks and even months to ferment, but Cosmos' is ready in minutes.

Oh man, where are the Korean babes, that still know how to make a great long fermented kimchi... *sigh* what is this world coming to :p

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I just received a harddrive back from HP under RMA. The drive sent in was a Seagate 7200.11 160GB SATA (for a HP DC7800 desktop), and we received back a WDC 160GB Velociraptor as a replacement.

Yep, that's right, a 160GB VR! (It's a short-stroked 300GB model, with HP firmware).

ddrueding

Fixture
I just received a harddrive back from HP under RMA. The drive sent in was a Seagate 7200.11 160GB SATA (for a HP DC7800 desktop), and we received back a WDC 160GB Velociraptor as a replacement.

Yep, that's right, a 160GB VR! (It's a short-stroked 300GB model, with HP firmware).

Neat.

LunarMist

Maybe so, but what if it did not fit? The WD VR series has different connector locations.

LunarMist

The 300GB WD drive I have is aligned differently from every other SATA drive I have seen. :(

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Well, as of yesterday my paycheck for my salaried job was just reduced by 20%.

My brother just lost his $80,000 a year 100% telecommuting job and wants to move in with me because apparently the idea of saving a little money is foreign to someone with a master's in Finance.

The unemployment rate here is over 19%.

This week just kind of sucks.

ddrueding

Fixture
A client asked me to help print a document that might be large. Here is my response.

Large would be an understatement. It is over 1,100 files that are each between 3 and 33 pages long. My estimate would be between 10,000 and 17,000 pages; that is a stack 3-6 feet tall. Our fastest printer would take four to seven hours to finish it. It took nearly three hours to download, and would fill 2 CDs.

Looking at each page for 3 seconds would take 8-12 hours. I don't see and index, and they are not numbered logically. They are also not searchable. This is what lawyers do when they don't like you.

Lets meet and discuss a better way of getting what you need.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
A client asked me to help print a document that might be large. Here is my response.

So why did they not approach a place like FedEx/Kinko's?

Lawyers outsource to printers that typically deal with legal firms, then charge anywhere from $0.50-$2/pg in the typical 'padding' the bill style.

going on 15k pgs, and 7hrs, that's 34+pg/min...you have a really fast printer :p. Is it duty rated to print for 7hrs straight? Or might it crap out on you, depreciate with those kinds of numbers?

They said *nothing* more to you at all about the job requirements/needs/goals, just gave a link to a d/l site? Are they related to you, or just suffering from the pandemic social disease 'twitteritis' :p

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/42252/178/

The BBC's Top Gear motoring show did a head to head comparison of the Prius with a BMW M3 sports sedan last year. The deal was that the Toyota would blast round the show's test track as fast as its little green wheels could carry it and the BMW gas guzzler would follow along behind.
At the end of the test, the BMW returned a shocking gas mileage of just 19.4 miles per Imperial gallon. The eco-friendly Prius returned an impressive 17.2 mpg. Err, right. So if I want to save the planet, I need a fast BMW rather than a rather sad hybrid econo-box.

I suppose jtr would disagree, more modern Lithium tech batteries are being developed that recharge faster/have higher capacity, but you still need to have access points to recharging stations, not everyone has a garage to park in, with an outlet. Same thing with hydrogen, there needs to be a huge infrastructure setup to service that kind of vehicle before it could be practical and widespread...Obama can't print enough money to do that during his term :p

ddrueding

Fixture
...going on 15k pgs, and 7hrs, that's 34+pg/min...you have a really fast printer :p. Is it duty rated to print for 7hrs straight? Or might it crap out on you, depreciate with those kinds of numbers?

We have a rather hefty copier/printer that does 35ppm, and I have done 8k pages/day for a week before.

They said *nothing* more to you at all about the job requirements/needs/goals, just gave a link to a d/l site? Are they related to you, or just suffering from the pandemic social disease 'twitteritis' :p

As is usually the case when not enough information is provided, it is because the person asking doesn't know what they don't know. In these situations, multiple rounds of question/question/answer are required.

Handruin

Administrator
My company did something similar, but not quite as bad as Mercutio. They're cutting 5% globally at least until Jan 1st next year. Our so-called bonus is cut by 20% (although I don't consider it a bonus) which makes it about 8-9% reduction in salary along with a bunch of other perks being cut like 401k match.

LOST6200

Storage is cool

My brother just lost his $80,000 a year 100% telecommuting job and wants to move in with me because apparently the idea of saving a little money is foreign to someone with a master's in Finance.

Oh f***! Thatn is usally last step bfroe tertimination or banckruptcy. Naybe this is a sign to leav the area and start afresh. YOur'e still youngman, with bright futures, whether you belive it or not. Hang in tehre, my freind.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!

Sorry to hear the bad news. :( As for your brother, I also don't understand why people don't save. I've heard of former brokers who are now desperately looking for any work. Seems strange to me. If I made half a million a year for five or ten years like lots of these guys did I'd be set for life. In fact, I'd probably quit once I saved a nice nest egg. I don't get it. I'd be hard pressed to spend that kind of money even if I tried. I guess they expect the good times to last forever but they never do.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I suppose jtr would disagree, more modern Lithium tech batteries are being developed that recharge faster/have higher capacity, but you still need to have access points to recharging stations, not everyone has a garage to park in, with an outlet. Same thing with hydrogen, there needs to be a huge infrastructure setup to service that kind of vehicle before it could be practical and widespread...Obama can't print enough money to do that during his term :p
I think at this point the "hydrogen highway" concept is as dead as a door nail. It offers no advantage whatsoever over today's much better batteries, and has lots of drawbacks (extra complexity, cost, the need to carry a very dangerous fuel). Sure, electrics need charging stations. If enough people start buying them these stations are almost trivial to add. Remember that when gas cars started being made there weren't an abundance of gas stations, yet somehow we managed.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
I think at this point the "hydrogen highway" concept is as dead as a door nail. It offers no advantage whatsoever over today's much better batteries, and has lots of drawbacks (extra complexity, cost, the need to carry a very dangerous fuel). Sure, electrics need charging stations. If enough people start buying them these stations are almost trivial to add. Remember that when gas cars started being made there weren't an abundance of gas stations, yet somehow we managed.

With horse & buggy :D. Non-sequitur, entirely different scenario now. Remember, we have just <7Billion people and growing, that's the main problem as usual. How do we accommodate them, in a manner that is *lower* damage, overall to the health/reduction of mass pollution, of the planet...long-term.

LOL, jtr...you're alive! :p. But seriously, you need to do some more research on this topic. Hydrogen fueled cars *could* be a *much* better alternative...with same level of advances you subscribe to other technologies like LED's :D, compared to toxic battery electric vehicles/high cost of total footprint in life cycle of the vehicle, poor efficiency electric powered cars. You're main argument I see coming, is that the petro companies would likely get a monopoly/controlling interest in this area. But electrical power is already heavily invested by traditional energy(fossil fuel) companies...it is as it is, they will always control us (that and hedge funds :D).

*edit* and don't you dare get me started on mass transit, I missed getting my mother some particularly good variety of strawberries @BH farmer's mkt this morning, because one bus was way ahead of schedule, and the next was 35min later, on schedule...30min, and 2 trays later, I got the last basket, hidden behind the counter. I could go on rants forever about how bad public transit systems are world wide. Metrolink here in LA has weekend 'special' only $11 roundtrip...get a clue!

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.

Sorry to hear.

ddrueding

Fixture
Handruin, if you are still looking at a 370Z, the Camero and the Hyundai Genesis Coupe look like decent cheaper cars in the same market. I would never buy a Camero (the image is wrong for me, and I like small cars), but the Genesis looks very tempting with the 306hp V-6 well appointed for well under $30k retail.

Handruin

Administrator
I not that big into the Camaro either and would consider it just because I don't think it fits me either. The Genesis pricing would be close to that of a base 370Z, so I'd still lean for that. When I look at the 306HP V6 and the price is near $27,500 to $29,000, the base 370Z is right around $29K. The only thing I'd add to the 370Z is the sports package bringing it up to about $33K. I'd still take a base 370Z over the Genesis. The Z is somewhat proven and has been around for several cycles which gives me more confidence in its reliability over a new model from a company that doesn't typically build this type of car.

Bottom line is I'm only dreaming. I don't want to spend the money on something like this. Making 8% less also doesn't help...but I'm still employed so I can't complain.

Handruin

Administrator
Unless if they seriously botched the whole engine design in the 4 banger, I can't see how removing that bend will generate anything more than 10-30 extra HP with the same level of boost. Fixing that bend and doing other mods could yield some nice results, but then you're talking about pushing a 4 cyl. engine from a company who isn't IMHO well-known for sustaining performance parts.