Something Random

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I think this is the longest-lived Windows install I've had in a long, long while. I might be cheating a little by referring to it as one singular installation when it started life on my 120GB Sandisk SSD and not only got moved to my 240GB SSDNow! but also got converted from an MBR to UEFI install, not to mention how some Windows updates are distributed as whole new builds of the OS and install accordingly, but I think it still qualifies. The oldest thing by modify date in my Windows folder is from 8/19/2017 so that's what I'm using as my measuring stick of sorts.

Usually I'll hold onto an install for two, maybe three months at most, then I'll get the itch again and OS hop once more. But now with the sheer scale and amount of the tools and games I install, it's just exhausting to do it all every time I reinstall, so I decided to cut the crap and stop wasting my time. Windows 10 is annoying at times, but more or less I'm happy.

Hurrah for laziness I guess.

I had one installation that was maintained for 7 years through 3 mainboards and multiple versions of TrueImage.
Just changing all the program settings, installing plug-ins, etc. is such a PITA that I avoided clean installs as much as possible.
Of course now MS wants to own all your stuff, and do the opposite.

Handruin

Administrator
Windows 10 is so easy to install that it's really not a thing for me any more to worry about using a drive-imaging software. My current system did have a long-running install going from windows 8, -> win 8.1 -> win 10, win 10 (creators edition). I eventually had issues with my USB microphone no longer being recognized and couldn't get it working so I wiped the system and started fresh. The install was painless and the only real thing that took a while was getting my data back in place.

LunarMist

Windows 10 is so easy to install that it's really not a thing for me any more to worry about using a drive-imaging software. My current system did have a long-running install going from windows 8, -> win 8.1 -> win 10, win 10 (creators edition). I eventually had issues with my USB microphone no longer being recognized and couldn't get it working so I wiped the system and started fresh. The install was painless and the only real thing that took a while was getting my data back in place.

OS is not the issue for me; it is the programs and configurations.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Compared to me you're a hard worker Sed.

I wouldn't say that, just prone to bouts of bored tinkering and "fixing" problems that aren't really problems to begin with while creating whole hosts of them for me to later find.

Ever since I was given the freedom to do basically what I want to my computer I seem to have been catching up with what I had wanted for years in a sense. For a long, long while I couldn't run anything but Windows XP on my PC and it frustrated me.

Stereodude

Not really a
I wouldn't say that, just prone to bouts of bored tinkering and "fixing" problems that aren't really problems to begin with while creating whole hosts of them for me to later find.

Ever since I was given the freedom to do basically what I want to my computer I seem to have been catching up with what I had wanted for years in a sense. For a long, long while I couldn't run anything but Windows XP on my PC and it frustrated me.
At my stage of life I'm not really interested in tinkering around with any of my computers with any frequency. I'm good with building them so they'll be well suited to do what I want, but after that I expect them to be very reliable and just work.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
At my stage of life I'm not really interested in tinkering around with any of my computers with any frequency. I'm good with building them so they'll be well suited to do what I want, but after that I expect them to be very reliable and just work.

This. So much this.

For me this applies not just to computers; also i simply want: internet, car, HVAC, major appliance(s), TV/Audio/BRD,etc) to just work. 100.00% of the time. Every time. All the time.

LunarMist

This. So much this.

For me this applies not just to computers; also i simply want: internet, car, HVAC, major appliance(s), TV/Audio/BRD,etc) to just work. 100.00% of the time. Every time. All the time.

Keep dreaming. :)

LunarMist

So that is for playing video games? Does the CPU really make so much difference compared to the GPU? I thought the GPU was usually the limiting factor if the CPU is fast enough.

LunarMist

So that is for playing video games? Does the CPU really make so much difference compared to the GPU? I thought the GPU was usually the limiting factor if the CPU is fast enough.

Yet the location is Work 1, so I'm confused? :scratch:

Handruin

Administrator
I'll be impressed if even those new GPUs can meet those numbers. My bar was set low hoping that reliable 60FPS at 4K could be achieved through modern games.

ddrueding

Fixture
I've been playing a lot of Eve Online, Kerbal Space Program, World of Warships, and Civilization V lately. A single 1080TI should be able to do 4k@120 on those with some settings dialed back.

And this is my work computer, but I play games here as well. Right now it is 8:30PM and I'm at work, playing some Eve, and on my second scotch.

LunarMist

Rental cars suck. The engine is useless, it drives like crap, the seats are uncomfortable, and they charge $350 for the keys. :( :mad:

LunarMist

That is not good. :( I don't know your problems at home, but drinking is never the solution.

ddrueding

Fixture
Yup, about once every couple months. Coordinate with some old friends and game all night. It used to be in person, but now we have families and live all over the place. Gaming from work keeps me from waking the family, plus the internet connection is better. A bottle of wine and about 600ml of assorted single-malts, then sleep on the couch. Not the best thing for me, but sustainable at that frequency.

However, your concern is appreciated.

LunarMist

May 12. I may not make it if Alabama vs. Massipussi. Maybe Kentucky is better.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
mailcity.com (lycos.com) have announced that they are discontinuing their free email accounts... So there goes an email account that I've had for the last 20+yrs...

Spent most of today logging into various online accounts to update email details... (mainly kept the mailcity.com account as a burner/spam collector).

Stereodude

Not really a
If Yahoo discontinued their free webmail there's no way I could possibly update all the online accounts that send to it.

LunarMist

What about the Fatmail (Australian?). It's been working rather well for me over the past year or so.

LunarMist

What about the Fatmail (Australian?). It's been working rather well for me over the past year or so.