Something Random

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
You have two pedals and a steering wheel. What more do you need to know? :scratch:

The cruise control is important outside of the main cities. Some sites/facilities are 100+ miles from the airports.
Setting the clock or resetting the odometer can also be a hassle, not to mention the audio/telephony systems.
Of course there is no concern for power steering fluids, etc. as in the old days.

How do you know they're all in the toilets, not just more of them? Did you do a survey/poll?

I meant the other people in the vehicle. Obviously I am not a Canon.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Did another SSD move to a spare I pulled from a dead T430. It's only marginally larger, but much, much faster. Easily twice as fast and then some. I keep getting the itch to abandon Windows and go for my ambition to set up a Linux server with PCI-E passthrough to a Windows VM for my games, but then I pulled up CPU-Z to verify something and uh... I don't have VT-d on this machine. That sent my hopes packing and the laziness really set in -- I'm probably stuck on Windows until I build an entirely new machine.

ddrueding

Fixture
I don't need a second computer in the case. I'm actually looking for just a flat plate that will mount the motherboard and PSU, with the GPU mounted co-planar to the MB and VESA holes to mount the whole thing behind the monitor. Then just mount waterblocks and plumb it out to an external cooler.

LunarMist

I don't need a second computer in the case. I'm actually looking for just a flat plate that will mount the motherboard and PSU, with the GPU mounted co-planar to the MB and VESA holes to mount the whole thing behind the monitor. Then just mount waterblocks and plumb it out to an external cooler.

I need a diagram for that. Are you saying the monitor and humongous case will be attached permanently? What is holding up that 60 lb. setup and aiming it at your head?

ddrueding

Fixture
The only parts of my current workstations are:

1. Motherboard (CPU, RAM, M.2 SSD onboard)
2. GPU
3. PSU

With waterblocks connected to the CPU and GPU, they aren't particularly large or heavy. There are PCIe extension cables that allow the GPU to be mounted near (but not sticking out of) the motherboard. I want a single piece of metal plate that has mounting holes for the motherboard on one side, a bracket for the GPU on the other, and in the middle a VESA-spec set of holes. The whole thing will fit (or just about) behind a 32" monitor. Links for stuff to help visualize below:

[FONT=&quot]Motherboard:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] http://a.co/7d6jYSO
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]GPU:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] http://a.co/7d6jYSO
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]PSU:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] http://a.co/269t9xd
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]GPU Cable:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] http://a.co/fCCn9cz[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
The only parts of my current workstations are:

1. Motherboard (CPU, RAM, M.2 SSD onboard)
2. GPU
3. PSU

With waterblocks connected to the CPU and GPU, they aren't particularly large or heavy. There are PCIe extension cables that allow the GPU to be mounted near (but not sticking out of) the motherboard. I want a single piece of metal plate that has mounting holes for the motherboard on one side, a bracket for the GPU on the other, and in the middle a VESA-spec set of holes. The whole thing will fit (or just about) behind a 32" monitor. Links for stuff to help visualize below:

[FONT="]Motherboard:[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#111111][FONT="] http://a.co/7d6jYSO
[/FONT]
[FONT="]GPU:[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#111111][FONT="] http://a.co/7d6jYSO
[/FONT]
[FONT="]PSU:[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#111111][FONT="] http://a.co/269t9xd
[/FONT]
[FONT="]GPU Cable:[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#111111][FONT="] http://a.co/fCCn9cz[/FONT][FONT="]

[/FONT]

Which GPU? CPU & GPU links are the same.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Jesus, talk about sticker shock. I had to seriously think about dropping the 150 apiece on the Z77 board and 4GB 960 I'm running now. Yeah, I know, I got taken for a ride on both -- but impatience and insistence on specific quality levels drove me to it.

I finally got Forza Horizon 3's PC port working -- after a fashion. It crashes to desktop after about 10 minutes of gameplay -- not a driver recovery or anything that would indicate instability on my GPU's part though this is one of few games I have configured to really peg my GPU at 100%, and apparently it's just very crashy on PC. Oh well. Considering when I bought it, I wasted a month downloading it only to have it not even launch, I'll take any sort of improvement on that I can get -- especially as MS seems to have a "no refunds" policy. :sad:

LunarMist

Are your finances straightened out for school in the Fall? Don't they have some academic pricing on MS?

ddrueding

Fixture
Why is the CPU irrelant? It's the main part of the computer! Where does the water go, to a drain or is it recycled somehow?

Hard-pipe plumbing that routes to a radiator next to the rad on my heat-pump water heater. The heat produced by my computer makes my water heater more efficient.

And the CPU isn't important because I'm mainly worried about the physical install/layout. Just buying the highest clockspeed CPU and sticking it in isn't an issue (i7-8700k ATM?)

LunarMist

I'm confused about the whole concept. Running plumbing to an open frame computer attached to a monitor is rather strange, like Brazil.

Handruin

Administrator
What is wrong with Brazil?

The concept sounds really neat to me. Pull the heat off the computer and dump it into the house's hot water chain. He probably has some fun heat exchanger to mix the two sources.

Handruin

Administrator
Even with you helping me google that I still don't understand Lunar's reference regarding Brazil?

ddrueding

Fixture
I decided to not actually mess with the house plumbing, but my water heater uses an electric heat pump. This means that it pulls heat from the air around the water heater to heat the water. All the waste heat from my rack goes out to the garage, and a radiator right next to the water heater blows the hot air directly onto the water heaters intake. It was actually some really easy plumbing work, and I trust myself to do it as it isn't hooked to any potable faucet and has a limited volume of liquid to pour out. I'm actually tempted to do the same pulling the heat away from the back of the fridge; I'm sure the fridge will be more efficient if their heatsink isn't hot, and the spare heat can go into the hot water.

Worth it? Unlikely. But trying to optimize systems is fun.

sdbardwick

Storage is cool
I decided to not actually mess with the house plumbing, but my water heater uses an electric heat pump. This means that it pulls heat from the air around the water heater to heat the water. All the waste heat from my rack goes out to the garage, and a radiator right next to the water heater blows the hot air directly onto the water heaters intake. It was actually some really easy plumbing work, and I trust myself to do it as it isn't hooked to any potable faucet and has a limited volume of liquid to pour out. I'm actually tempted to do the same pulling the heat away from the back of the fridge; I'm sure the fridge will be more efficient if their heatsink isn't hot, and the spare heat can go into the hot water.

Worth it? Unlikely. But trying to optimize systems is fun.
Until you remove so much heat that the condensate doesn't evaporate, and you get water pooling under the fridge... :wink:

sedrosken

Florida Man
Are your finances straightened out for school in the Fall? Don't they have some academic pricing on MS?

I'm probably going to change my strategy as what I'm doing now simply isn't working fast enough for my liking. I'll probably try to grab some certs to get a better job and then use that as a springboard for the rest of my education. As it stands right now my only option for school would be loans, and I'm done screwing my future self over to have something today.

LunarMist

Have you calculated the thermodynamic efficiency? What efficiency does the heat pump have and then what is the energy from the computer that is actually transferred on a daily basis? I suspect that the overall difference may literally be a few seconds of hot water usage.

LunarMist

I have been assigned as field observer, training. I don't understand what that entails, but perhaps it is the lack of English.