Something Random

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio said:
</me wishes there was a Thai place someplace I might actually go to eat it>

I'm sure there are some good Thai restaurants in Chicago.

I have only eated Thai food one time, and I didn't like it very much.

But, I did eat at a Afghani restaurant last weekend and thought that the food was very good. I had a lamb kebab, soup, and tea.

Handruin

Administrator
Heh...I thought Merc was wishing for a Thai place to eat the yummy women flagreen spoke of.

I'm very scared to try new foods, but through work we always seem to be trying new cultural foods. We went to a Thai place and I loved the lemon grass chicken. We also went to an Indian buffet and I don't really care for that cuisine...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
There's a Thai place in Lansing that's very good, timwhit, but it's not someplace I'd feel comfortable asking for a table for one. There are some I'm aware of in the suburbs but I don't live there and as a rule I don't try new foods while I'm working.

I like Karee noodles and Lad Na.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
For being in a mall, Basi Thai in Oakbrook Center is OK. Not great, but OK. There are plenty of decent Thai places around the western 'burbs. Corner of Cass & Ogden, just north of the Pizza Hut. Route 59 / Naperville by the CompUSA.

I like almost all cuisines. Thai, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, German, Polish, Mexican, Italian, even some of what passes for American cuisine. The more authentic the better.

Re: Indian: Quality of Indian food varies greatly from restaraunt to restaraunt. I have a couple of Indian coworkers so they've kind of shown me the light. There are some good Indian buffets around, but the majority are simply fair.

ddrueding

Fixture
I was debating calling this "the undrailable thread" but it seems to have held coherency quite well.....

My favorite foods (in order)

Italian (lasagne, Pizza, other pastas)
Thai (Orange Chicken and Pad Thai)
American (Burgers, Steaks)
Japanese (sushi)

I am a picky eater, so there's not that much variety in my diet.

Mercutio

Italian is very easy to make at home. The ingredients and seasonings are simple. I'm too lazy to make pasta, which hurts the expeience a little, but I've done it before.

Personally I like Mexican and Chinese food. And Polish food. Provencal (Country) French is very good too.

I have a special fondness for hot dogs. :)

There aren't any Indian restaurants here, either.

Sushi is disgusting. Granted, I don't exactly live near a large supply of sushi-type fish, which might influence my opinion.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I haven't tasted Thai cuisine so I can't comment on that. I'd say Chinese(both food and females) are my favorites. Italian(my ancestoral cuisine) is a very close second. Mexican probably comes next, although I've never tried Korean, Vietnamese, Indian, Thai, or Japanese so that might not hold up. Regarding sushi, I'm a little averse to eating something that was moving only a few minutes before so I'd probably pass on that part of Japanese cuisine. Actually, living in NYC I could probably try any one of dozens of cuisines on a regular basis, but I tend to stick with what I know and like. BTW, the best Chinese food is in Chinatown(the original one in lower Manhattan). Look for places where you see mostly Chinese eating and those likely have the best food. Second best is anything around Flushing Main St.(Flushing is Chinatown #2). That being said, you usually have a pretty decent takeout restaurant within walking distance almost anywhere in the city. I'd say I have at least twenty within a mile and a half of where I live.

ddrueding

Fixture
Gah, forgot about Chinese and hot dogs! The chinese here is quite good. In San Jose and in particular Chinatown in San Francisco (where the immigration primarily took place). Thai food in Thailand is commonly worse than available here due to the lower quality of available ingridients.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I neglected to mention even though it's typical American fare sometimes a few hot dogs, fries, and a beer hits the spot. I have no idea why, especially those times I have an unfathomable craving for hot dogs. I guess I'll equate it to what smokers go through-you know it's bad for you but deep down it satisfies some chemical urge. Generally, though I'm not a big fan of most American foods-too fatty and too much meat for my tastes. And those big staples of Americana, Coca Cola and Pepsi, give me diarrhea so I can't drink more than a small glass. I like Sprite and similar sodas better anyway

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
jtr1962 said:
Regarding sushi, I'm a little averse to eating something that was moving only a few minutes before so I'd probably pass on that part of Japanese cuisine.

"Spoilin' nice fish. Give it to us raw and wriiiggggllling." - Gollum

Sushi mostly tastes of rice and vegetables. Unless you are tasting the wasabi. I was fine with the baby octupus I ate until I bit down on something a little crunchy. I imagined it was the pincher like mouth from 10K Leagues Under the Sea and and that was a little too vivid a thought. I swallowed quickly.

ddrueding

Fixture
Man, after reading this thread I've been thinking of hot dogs for the last 2 days :(

The sushi place I like does some more original pieces. They include more herbs and spices (ginger, garlic, oregano, etc), and the quality of the fish is excellent (a must).

ddrueding

Fixture
My playlist is at 6669 items (21 days, 10 hours, 25 minutes, 43 seconds) I somehow feel complete. I can stop ripping for now. I'd switch to a losless codec, but transcoding all this (30GB+) would be a massive undertaking.

Besides, 256-384 VBR isn't so bad....

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
ddrueding said:
Man, after reading this thread I've been thinking of hot dogs for the last 2 days :(

The sushi place I like does some more original pieces. They include more herbs and spices (ginger, garlic, oregano, etc), and the quality of the fish is excellent (a must).

I was going to make pigs in a blanket tomorrow night... dont know what to use as a side... baked beans? cole slaw? onion rings? french fries? baked potatoes with chives, cheese, and sour cream?

hmm....

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
blakerwry said:
I was going to make pigs in a blanket tomorrow night... dont know what to use as a side... baked beans? cole slaw? onion rings? french fries? baked potatoes with chives, cheese, and sour cream?

hmm....
Baked beans or fries go nice with hot dogs. Cole slaw is OK on the franks, although onions or sauerkraut go better. I think baked potatoes would kind of clash. And dark mustard is the best. 8)

ddrueding

Fixture
Pigs in a blanket (which I haven't had for ages, and am now craving) go best with...beer. Haven't tried it myself, but my friend assues me it works...

Nothing for me, got the flu...Vicadin is my friend... :mrgrn:

Mercutio

The "pigs in the blanket" I'm familiar with are made with hamburger, rice and peppers stuffed into cabbage leaves and covered with a tomato-based sauce. I'm assuming that's not what you're talking about?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I was talking about hot dogs wrapped in dough (like a cresent roll) and baked.

There are many variationed, but I've never heard of the one you're talking about mercutio. Although it doesn't sound bad.

Actually that remonds me of stuffed peppers (only no cabbage). Rice, corn, hamburger all stuffed into red or green bell pepper halves and topped with cheese. I guess there's probably a can of tomato sauce mixed into the filling as well.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
oh yes, I picked up some pete's wicked ale yesterday... I dont know what to think of it... I think I need to try another beer is what I think. Got any recomendations?

ddrueding

Fixture
If you can get to the Bend River Brewery (Bend, Oregon) they have an Obsidian Black Ale that they serve on nitrogen (instead of CO2) very rich, very hearty and (thanks to the nitrogen) very, very smooth. Just the right beverage for a more bland food (one that is driving my mad with anticipation). I had just managed to quench my hot dog cravings @ ROtK, and now you guys spring this on me. This will actually require me to bake! :eek:

My ex-local brewery was Gordon Beirsch. I spent many a long evening there, sitting on the deck and staring at the Bay Bridge.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
ddrueding said:
If you can get to the Bend River Brewery (Bend, Oregon) they have an Obsidian Black Ale that they serve on nitrogen (instead of CO2) very rich, very hearty and (thanks to the nitrogen) very, very smooth. Just the right beverage for a more bland food (one that is driving my mad with anticipation). I had just managed to quench my hot dog cravings @ ROtK, and now you guys spring this on me. This will actually require me to bake! :eek:

My ex-local brewery was Gordon Beirsch. I spent many a long evening there, sitting on the deck and staring at the Bay Bridge.

Sounds fantastic David. Gordon Biersch makes a delicious Märzen.

ddrueding

Fixture
Buck said:
If you ever get the chance, try Spaten Premium Bock, it only comes on tap.

That is available @ the local Brit Pub....I'll have to check it out.

My new local brewery, Monterey Coast Brewery, has a great Pilzner.

Dïscfärm

Learning Storage Performance
  • [list:a24bebe755]
    12047881323f6c1e95bac07.jpg

HUSSIE !
[/list:u:a24bebe755]

ddrueding

Fixture
Dïscfärm said:
  • [list:53237ed89f]
    12047881323f6c1e95bac07.jpg

HUSSIE !
[/list:u:53237ed89f]

Also very nice, has she been spotted in Texas, yet? And what on earth would she be doing in Houston, anyway. Austin would be more her style...

ddrueding

Fixture
I'v found that every morining, I listen to the same 4 songs in the same order:

1. The White Stripes - Fell in Love with a Girl
2. Rolling Stones - Sympathy for the Devil
3. Radiohead - Paranoid Android
4. James Taylor - Steamroller

Does anyone else have this kind of routine?

e_dawg

Storage Freak
You just found that every morning, you listen to the same four songs in order? It took you, what, twenty-two consecutive days with the same routine before you took a step back and said "hey, these are the same songs as yesterday, and the day before, and the day before that"? :lol: (j/k Dave)

Sympathy for the Devil and Paranoid Android... two of my favourites. I like Seven Nation Army from The White Stripes. Have you seen their recent video with the video FX on the drum kit? I thought that was pretty neat.

I do have a bit of a morning routine, as does everyone else, I'm sure. I usually drink a bit of water, grab my electric shaver, sit down at the computer table, check my e-mail, look at my schedule, check the weather, refresh the SR and SF fora, and check Google News while I shave.

Mercutio

1. The Rolling Stones deserve painful, hideous death.

I say that about a lot of things. I'm a very bitter man.

But as usual, I mean it.

In 1998 I was contracting for a video production company in Chicago. It was a cool job, moving SGI video servers to NT4. Shortly after I started, someone who worked in the same area as me brought in a DVD player and ONE DVD, a rolling stones concert video.

I learned that it is in fact possible to have negative amounts of talent, as that disc was played three or four times a day, in time with the same two comments from everyone else within earshot: "I can't believe the picture!" and "It uses *five* speakers, you know."

They've been playing together for what? 40 years? You'd think their guitarist would LEARN ANOTHER CHORD.

So, hopefully Mr. Jagger will have a massive cerebral hemorrage in the near future and the world will be a better place.

OK. Now that that's out of my system...

2. The Puerto Rican market down the street from my house makes awesome Tamales. $4 for 16 of 'em, stuffed with cheese, onion and peppers or with pork or with barbequed chicken. I always wonder how those of you not so blessed as to live near Latin America make do with your lives without knowing the joys of latin fare.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Mercutio said:
The Rolling Stones deserve painful, hideous death.

I say that about a lot of things. I'm a very bitter man.

Yes, Merc, you are indeed... And hey, (in reference to the weather thread) those in glass houses... :)

[..] someone who worked in the same area as me brought in a DVD player and ONE DVD [...]

LOL... I can just picture the DVD starting over from the beginning yet again, and the resultant look on your face.

I learned that it is in fact possible to have negative amounts of talent [...]

They've been playing together for what? 40 years? You'd think their guitarist would LEARN ANOTHER CHORD.

You gotta be kidding, Merc! Keith Richards' rhythym lead style is one of the more compelling reasons to listen to the Stones. The Stones cranked out some fine R&B/Rock & Roll tunes over the years. Sure, they pumped out a lot of mediocre junk too, but they were capable of and delivered greatness more than a few times.