Soyo BayOne AVI Plus Flash Reader/Writer - Pretty Cool

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
BayOne AVI Plus Flash Reader/Writer
Unique 6-In-1 breakout box featuring combination reader/writer for 6 flash media standards, two (2) front IEEE 1394 Firewire ports, and two (2) front USB 2.0 ports

Turn your PC into a multimedia center with SOYO BayOne AVI Plus! Designed for mediaphiles and advanced users, BayOne AVI Plus offers an all-in-one solution for ultimate multimedia connectivity.

Conveniently fits into the front of your PC, BayOne AVI Plus features 2 IEEE 1394 Firewire ports, 2 high-speed USB 2.0 ports and combination reader/writer for Compact Flash (both Type I & II), Smart Media, IBM Micro Drive, Sony Memory Stick, Panasonic Secure Digital and Multi Media.

With SOYO BayOne AVI Plus, you can now connect multiple devices to your computer and download digital photos, video, MP3 music or hot sync your hand held devices all at the same time! No more reaching to the back of the computer or unplugging devices! the multiple memory reader/writer slots can be used simultaneously, enabling you to take full advantage of this compact all-in-one solution.

SOYO BayOne AVI Plus is designed to be universally compatible with all systems and external devices, making it easy to install and user friendly. Upgrade your PC today with SOYO BayOne AVI Plus and discover what you have missed!

http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=215

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I think some of the newer Soyo boards come with that... or atleast the USB/mem card part of it...

They have a similar product at microcenter... but i already have a mem card reader, otherwise this would be a great addition for people who do alot of work with digital cameras and DV.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
It would be perfect if the mem card reader section was connected via USB 2, and not a performance crippling USB 1.1 interface.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Who needs to read 6 kinds of flash cards. I got a cheap USB2 CF reader for less than $20. All in one things suck. Just like that AIW Pro 4MB that I spent $260 on about 6 years ago. That was useful for about a year, too bad I didn't just buy a separate TV tuner.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
i dont think it's too expensive... I would venture to say $30 or so.. maybe $40..

if you have a DV cam, this is convenient.. if you have multiple media types in your digital cameras this is great.

Dozer

Learning Storage Performance
Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
I was looking for one of these for awhile. Then I spotted a 2-in-1 CompactFlash/Memory Stick reader for about $25 (SanDisk ImageMate USB Dual Reader CF/MS). Perfect for what I need--Pocket PC=CompactFlash and Digicam=MemoryStick. Everything I need and nothing I don't--and, it's portable.

However, for those doing lots of multimedia work, this would be a terrific addition to their box.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
For digicams, I've never understood the desire for an outboard reader. I just plug in the camera & d/l directly. No fussing with ejecting media, etc. I usually also recharge the digicam battery at the same time.

My CF storage came with a PC Card adapter to allow for direct insertion into a notebook; I've never used it and probably never will.

- Fushigi

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
ah, portability is a good point... i havent moved my smart media reader from the original computer I conencted it to, i share it through windows shares so I dont have to muck with transporting it... but I'm sure if you went to a friends house or went on vacation with your laptop or something a traditional (if there is such a thing) USB memcard reader would be nice.

Dozer

Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
Fushigi said:
For digicams, I've never understood the desire for an outboard reader.

I prefer connecting the camera directly as well, but I wanted a way to read Memory Sticks both at work and at home. I also wanted an external CompactFlash reader for the card used in my Pocket PC, so instead of buying an additonal camera cable and a CF reader, the 2-in-1 worked better for me.

Dozer

Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
I guess I should note, I am a bit absent-minded sometimes and would forget the cable either at home or at work. Now I just leave the camera cable at home and the drive at work. That way I can pull pictures off no matter where I am. Now, if I could just remember to bring the camera with me.... :)

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I was most interested in the ability to add front USB and FW in a 3 1/2" bay. Replacable face plates to boot.

double bit CRC error

What is this storage?
Howell said:
I was most interested in the ability to add front USB and FW in a 3 1/2" bay. Replacable face plates to boot.

yeah, i thought the inclusion of the additional face plates was a smart idea.