Speechless - thank you everyone!

Handruin

Administrator
I just got off the phone with Mercutio not too long ago as he explained to me why I had a large box full of goodies I didn't expect.

A few weeks back I had arranged to buy a couple of parts from him to build me a new machine. Well today the mail man buzzes my apartment with a package that required a signature. I run downstairs like a 3 year old on christmas day. At first site I was dumb found at the size of the box, but I said, ah, maybe it's two tiny parts with a shit load of packaging material.

So I carried the box inside and tore open the top. To my amazment, there was quite a few more parts than anticipated from Mercutio... I knew something was up when I dug out an awesome t-shit with an tone of signatures printed on. So I sat on my floor in awe knowing that I had to get an explaination from Merutio.

Well here I am now sending a great deal of thanks to everyone! I really don't know what to say, I'm in shock. You guys sent me such a nice gift! It really means a lot to me that you took the time to put together this for me. After looking through all the things you sent me I feel guilty for getting such a nice gift, you guys spent way too much. :oops:

I'm really glad to be a part of such great group of individuals. I think back over a year ago and I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. I also lucked out that I had ordered a web hosting package from my friend, never with the thought that I'd be hosting a site to all the people I knew from SR.

What else can I say, you guys rock! Thanks so much for the nice gifts, I really appricate it. (It's been a long time since I built a machine, I'm so psyched to play!)

Many thanks!

Sincerely,

Doug (like a kid in a candy shop)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've already expressed my thanks to you as well, but I'll do so again. The users of Storageforum owe you a tremendous debt for providing us with a special place on the internet.

I'm glad we could get together and do this for you.

Mercutio

I am teh l4me. I just noticed that when I added CougTek's name to the shirt I spelled it with a lowercase "T". Sorry man.

SteveC

Storage is cool
Thank you, Doug, for everything you've done with this site. And thanks to Mercutio for putting all this together.

Steve

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Doug - thank you very much. I'm just glad I was able to play a tiny part in this site and reap the benefits. Obviously this would not have happened without all your hard work, and it is appreciated.

And thank you to Merc for putting this all together!

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Everything I want to say has been said more eloquently by others. But still, Thanks, Doug! SF is a very special place.

And Merc is da man. He cooked up this idea, and made it all happen. We thank him for all the time and effort he's put into this.

:D :colors: :bglaugh: :D

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
mubs said:
Everything I want to say has been said more eloquently by others. But still, Thanks, Doug! SF is a very special place.

And Merc is da man. He cooked up this idea, and made it all happen. We thank him for all the time and effort he's put into this.

:D :colors: :bglaugh: :D
Ditto.

- Fushigi

Mickey

Learning Storage Performance
Doug, thanks for all you've done with this site. Consider the "candy" a token of our appreciation, to borrow the phrase. ;)

And thanks to Merc for putting this all together. 'Tis really a great place and a great bunch of folks.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
you fully deserve it Douog. Thanks!

(bugger. I only just sent off my signature yesterday and obviously I'm too to get it on the shirt! it's my fault for taking to long sorry)

Handruin

Administrator
:oops: I just noticed how many typos I had. When I wrote t-shit, I certainly wasn't implying the shirt was shit. :oops: :oops:

oops

I'll take a Coke with some Captain, Bartender. ;) A round for everyone on me.

:beer:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Now now now. Kid got it all wrong and nobody had the heart to tell him. First thing first. Those parts aren't "gifts". You are granted the right to play with them, but under some conditions.

You see Doug, we collectively decide some weeks ago that something had to be done about our lame F@H stats compared to our competing teams. Since all of us were too cheap to pay the extra electricity bill for yet another system, we asked ourselves who was the nicest and most generous guy around that wouldn't be able to say 'no' when asked to maintain our most powerful cruncher up 24x7. Since you're the one with the parts, it means it was your name that ended up on top of our list.

Also, since we were all unwilling to take the responsability of the blame in the event we would grill the CPU by being a tad too optimistic in our overclocking experiments in our quest to reach the highest possible frequency, we again asked ourselves who was the perfect candidate to take all the responsability and tomatoes in case something goes wrong...you won there too.

So there you are, with a box full of goodies, but with a mission in your hands. You are charged to build the baddess possible F@H cruncher ever, maintain it 24x7 (and every time it shuts down, we want a detailed report why), pay the electricity for it and takes all our complains if you don't succeed to make it perform up to our expectations.

So enough "Oh thank you guys" and to work now.

[/joking]

;-)

Like others wrote, you've earned it. Congrats and do whatever you want with it ; it's yours. I am, like others, happy to see you like it.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio said:
I am teh l4me. I just noticed that when I added CougTek's name to the shirt I spelled it with a lowercase "T". Sorry man.
[searching Merc's address on Yahoo white pages]

I guess it won't be Prof.Wizard who's gonna eat that Micropolis-full bag once I can get my hands on you for this unforgivable mistake...

Mercutio

Also, EdwardK's signature didn't make it on it the shirt. I don't know why. I have it. :(

I also missed time & JtD. I TRIED to remember to write in those who couldn't scan, but I was in a hurry to get everything in the mail and, well, you know.

I did try, though.

For those who weren't "in on it", I tried to email or at least PM everyone who I remembered from SR, or who had more than 50 posts or so. I was only "shot down" outright by one person, but if you weren't informed, I'm sorry.

The contents of Doug's box:
AMD AthlonXP 2200 retail CPU.
(2) 512MB PC2700 Crucial DDR DIMMs
(2) WD800JB hard disks
Spire Microflow cooler
Abit NF7 nForce2 motherboard
Samsung 16x DVD-ROM (black)
a KVM and some rounded IDE and Floppy cables

There was $100 additionally provided by the donations, for upkeep on the site and/or purchase of a decent video card. :)

Mercutio

CougTek said:
I guess it won't be Prof.Wizard who's gonna eat that Micropolis-full bag once I can get my hands on you for this unforgivable mistake...

Bring it on little man. My burlap sack is already filled and ready for battle, and besides, I seem to recall an email full of blackmail material some weeks ago...

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Whooah!

You better zend another zhirt, pronto, Merc! EdwardK waz a zeriouz contributor! You know that old-fazhioned Auzzie bush hat we pazzed around over on this zide of the pond? Don't get the ideas that it waz our tightwad Tannin who kicked in firzt - Edward waz da man.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Doh! I saw the shirt in it's pre-publication sneak preview form, thought I saw Edward's sig there.

(That waz Steve K, you numbskull human.)

(Yeah, yeah. I stuffed up. I always get the "K"s mixed up. Steve K, Edward K, City K .... put it down to my lexdixia. Anyway, I didn't see you picking up on it, small hairy one.)

(Me? Why do I have to do everything around here?)

(Because no-one trusts me to remember anything. :()

(Guezz you've got a point, large not-hairy one. Let'z juzt blame Merc.)

(OK.)

(Err ... Tannin?)

(Mmm?)

(What are we blaming Merc? Didn't he do all the work in the firzt place?)

(Shhh!)

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Enjoy, Doug! You deserve it. Thanks for starting a community that seems like the techie version of Cheers.

Merc, impressive work putting all this together... even though you forgot me :)

e_dawg

Storage Freak
I'm not sure what you mean by that expression, Coug :?: ...

Anyways, I feel bad now for mentioning it in this thread. I should have taken it offline. My apologies...

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Sorry, guess I was too tired (and still am). I meant flowers, not floor. Translater down time. I was simply having fun with your remark, no second thoughts about it.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio said:
The contents of Doug's box:
AMD AthlonXP 2200 retail CPU.
(2) 512MB PC2700 Crucial DDR DIMMs
(2) WD800JB hard disks
Spire Microflow cooler
Abit NF7 nForce2 motherboard
Samsung 16x DVD-ROM (black)
a KVM and some rounded IDE and Floppy cables
Hmmm... Apparently, from the picture Doug has shown above, he didn't receive the plain NF7, but the full-featured NF7-S. And the improved revision 1.2 of it to top that. A pleasant surprise.

Handruin

Administrator
Hey everyone... I'm posting with the new box!!! It runs super fast (at least the fastest machine I've used to date). After the machine posts and windows XP starts to load, it takes about 10 seconds to get to the desktop!

Looks like the nforce audio has some cool tools. I can't wait to bench mark the SATA controller. I didn't even realize the SATA controller is also a RAID controller. :eek: :eek:

I'm super psyched! Can't wait to buy a video card. (i'm borrowing the GF3 from my old machine until tomorrow)

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks Doug. :)

A cold Crownie pls Bartender. Just line them up. Gotta coupla venison and duck/wallaby snags on the barbie, if anyone wants some.

EdwardK

Learning Storage Performance
Thanks Doug for all you have done to SF :p Whenever I have time to get onto the internet, SF is the first site I goto. Glad you are enjoying your new machine. Also to support everyone who mention it, a big thanks to Merc for organising it all. Hear hear!

Merc and Tea: its okay my signature is not there, really. In some ways, I am relieved that it was accidently not there because I might get embarassed :oops: I guess its usually my way to help and support in the background without bringing attention to myself :wink:

Cheers,
Edward

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
It was a privilege to be able to give thanks to you for all the effort you put into SF. Three cheers for Doug!

:thumbleft: :beer: :jumpin: :beer: :thumbright: