problem Spin Up SAMRT

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I am going through some piles of old hard drives and I found half a dozen or so 2TB drives of various types. One drive, a Samsung 204UI, is rather odd. The drive seems normal, but there is a major SMART error. Can this be caused by a one-time event years ago or will it fail?

HD204UI_SMART.png

ddrueding

Fixture
That data just looks wrong. The current cannot be worse than the worst. If you power-cycle the drive, will it update the "worst" column?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I agree with DD. May be the result of being unused for a long period. I'd also suggest a power cycle and a re-look at the Smart data.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
+1. Maybe try a different SMART interrogation utility? Those results are rubbish.

LunarMist

I've tried numerous drives, but none with results like that. For example, here is a 7K4000.

7K4000_SMARTCR.png

LunarMist

That data just looks wrong. The current cannot be worse than the worst. If you power-cycle the drive, will it update the "worst" column?

It does not change. I think the drive was not used for some reason. It only has 9 hours of use, but I would have submitted an RMA back then if I knew it was defective.