Splash: What are you using for new systems at work?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Anyone else appreciate the irony of the Granite Digital SCSI Cable Advocate complaining about the price of cables?

:)

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Well, yes. :wink:

I do have reasons for the scsi cable position.
Everytime I had a scsi problem, it turned out to be a cabling problem, well, about 98% of the time.

Which reminds me, I have one cable that's backwards for everything I use it for, and I'm going to take it down Wednesday and see if Ken will
swap me cables...

s

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Thought I would resurrect this thread with an ADF recommendation. We got a Kodak i260 scanner the other day for work. Very fast (single or duplex is same speed), and has a "dockable" 11*17 flatbed attachment for non-conforming documents. Firewire connection (they even include a PCI card and cable).

A little expensive for the home user at around US$4000, but if you need one for work they are pretty snappy.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=35836301

Bought one of these, new, for around 200. Found the Firewire requirement wasn't important, since using usb 1 this scans fast enough for my use, and transfers the data fast enough.

s

consDetail.jsp

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
*Forgot to mention USB 2.0 is used on this computer....

Likewise in the scanner...

s

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
In case anyone is interested, I checked around to see if the Epson Perfection 3170 scanner is supported by Linux (I don't know if there's some difference between 3170s that include "PHOTO" in their name or not). The answer is: sort of. If you try, be prepared for aggravation, and possibly failure.

There are support requests for it all over the place. One person summed it up well:

I briefly owned a Epson Perfection 3170 scanner, but I do not recommend it. The driver requires proprietary firmware and since the backend is a precompiled library, setup is a mega pain. Although RPMs are available, they may not work on your software configuration and it is best to compile from source.

(The emphasis is his.)

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
UPDATE:
Epsons are not drop, or cat proof. Going off the back of my desk, and down about 2 feet fried the 3170.

Still refurbs from epson are about 100 bucks, for a better scanner, and, I did like the software with XP...

Worked with Photoshop, which my Canon 1220 doesn't seem to want to do...

S