SR has details about the 74GB Raptor

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
For those who haven't seen it before, I thought it worth mentioning. Anyone needs SR's adress or do you all remember it?

STR will increase a lot, seek time will drop nicely, noise should decrease due to the use of fluid bearings and it will fully implement tagged command queuing. It should officially launch this Fall, in November IIRC the short post on SR's front page.

The day it will come out, sun will shine, little birds will sing and people too poor to buy it will cry.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I am tempted.

But then I'd need a new motherboarrd (or a PCI SATA controller), and I already have a Tekram SCSI card, so (my train of thought runs) I might as well just get a real SCSI drive (Seagate, of course) and go that way.

(Runs to computer, looking for Seagate proce list.)

Hmmmm ......

Raptor 36GB: $192
Raptor 74GB" $350 (estimated)

Cheetah 36GB: $264
Cheetah 73GB: $570
Cheetah 146GB: $1170

X15 36GB: $489
X15 73GB: $1004

36GB is too small. Well, I might manage to get by on 36GB if it was an X15 (put the commonl;y-used stuff there, keep the Samsung IDE for long-term storage). $500 .... hmm.

At 70GB plus, though, I'd rather have the speed of the X15, but a thousand bucks seems excessive. Would I pay the (estimated) $200 premium for a 10K 73GB Cheetah over a SATA Western Digital? I guess I would. Probably, anyway.

The way I see it, the 146GB Cheetah and the 73GB X15 are out. At that price, I want size and performance.

36GB X15?
73GB Cheetah?

Or pop in a new motherboard and buy a 74GB Raptor?

Dunno.

When is the next generation of Seagate 15K drives due out?