SR has released the first Maxtor Atlas 15K results

yeti

What is this storage?
and it looks as if Maxtor is reasonably serious at giving Seagate a run for its money!

For a first go, Maxtor may have done a good job, if reliability is better than it was with the initial 10K3.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
My X15-36LP is suddenly starting to feel sluggish...

Very impressive results. Seems like the fastest workstation drive ever, although it concede the first place for server tasks to the 15K.3 by a hair. Transfer rates are also more than respectable and hint that the new Atlas might use reduced-size platters, since the minimum STR is still above 55MB/s. It's noisier than the Seagate, but still within a tolerable range. I live with both an Atlas 10K3 and a X15-36LP, both slightly noisier than the reported result for the Atlas 15K, and don't need ear plugs to sit near my computer while it's running. Anyway, I've never heard about people buying SCSI drives for their silence.

Thanks for the news Yeti.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I've got one x15 mkI and two x15-36LPs. I can't figure out what to get next. I have two hot swap slots waiting to be filled. Perhaps just a 250GB 5400rpm IDE for mass storage in a Firewire case.