SSDs use more power than disk?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
1. They're running the drive constantly, which no normal user does.
2. It's from Tom's.
3. Real world experience tells me that Tom is either lying or an idiot or both, based on the fact that I own an SSD-equipped notebook and therefore have actual real world experience with them.
4. QED this is sensationalist nonsense from someone whose ad revenues are probably in the toilet.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
<put's on my timwit hat>

Say Bozo, linky, that story has already been posted in yet another hidden thread, didn't you see it yesterday :D ?

OCZ's $500 128GB SSD

http://www.storageforum.net/forum/showpost.php?p=109057

Should be noted though, that the highest performing Mitron SSD's do use more power than other SSD's, but no one on SF is going to fork over $1k for one of them to do 'real world testing'. Merc's and others 1st gen. older generation SSD's are not comparable to current gen, if you've got the exact same models as TH tested then there's something to be said

ddrueding

Fixture
Unfortunately, the article comes to miserably faulty conclusions, and nobody seems to have noticed it. One thing everybody needs to note is this: the test that Tom's ran was designed to run a program to completion over and over again. All that Tom's came up with, thanks to that test, is that the computer with the SSD ran out of power faster. What they SHOULD have noticed, and what any sane and logical tester would have done, is counted the number of times the program RAN. A system with an SSD will run the program a significantly higher number of times because of its increased speed and lack of moving parts. With the higher number of runs, the CPU STAYS MORE ACTIVE, sucking more power out of the system and thus causing it to power down earlier. The only reason the HDD system died later is because the CPU idles waiting for it to retrieve data. The SSD may have chewed up your battery faster, but it did, comparatively, run through that program a BUNCH more times. I am willing to bet the work per watt was much better out of the SSD system than the HDD - and once again, Tom's Hardware's scientific testing system proves itself anything but.

Link

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Nice. Such a shame really, I remember going there in the mid 90's for reliable info.