Stacked

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I had a few 2.5" drives stacked in the bin and noticed that there is a magnetic force between them. Presumably there is a PM for the actuator motor. The polarity all appear to be the same. Is there any risk of damage?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I had a few 2.5" drives stacked in the bin and noticed that there is a magnetic force between them. Presumably there is a PM for the actuator motor. The polarity all appear to be the same. Is there any risk of damage?

Considering you are working with magnetic media, if this is data you care about I would make some changes.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
How odd, I never thought to check for this before but most bays I choose have a separation between the drives for air flow. Are they the same model drives? You would think the manufacturer would check for things like that.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I have several Seagate and WD SATA 2.5" drives which are laid out the same, i.e., platters are at the base of the drive adjacent to the connectors and actuators are at the top (slightly right of center viewed from the label side. My Fujitsu and Samsung 2.5" SATA drives are the opposite, laid out like a typical 3.5" drive with the platters at the top.

Handruin

Administrator
Considering you are working with magnetic media, if this is data you care about I would make some changes.

Have you ever taken a drive apart? The magnets inside are incredibly strong, yet they don't affect the media that sits less than an inch away.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Have you ever taken a drive apart? The magnets inside are incredibly strong, yet they don't affect the media that sits less than an inch away.

How do you know the media is not affected?

Yes, I have, and what you are describing is something that is a tested design. Drives magnetically attracted to each other is different.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Apropos of nothing, "stacked" is a great thing to type in to Google Image Search with Safesearch off. It's quite... uplifting.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
If you turn off safesearch you get some nice pictures of Gianna Michaels, who personifies the term rather well.