Stealing Music the Old Way...

Drakantus

What is this storage?
I signed up for one of those "buy one get 12 free" music clubs.

They rip you off on shipping of course, $19 to ship my 7 "free" CDs. Still, compared to something like iTunes this is a much better deal.. it's around $2.75 per CD, and I get a real physical CD instead of just a handful of AAC files. I don't understand how Apple can claim that the prices on iTunes are just enough to break even when places like BMGMusic Club are giving real CDs away for a quarter of the price.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Considering that it only costs pennies to make a CD and that royalties are around $0.05 per minute, and that media mail shipping is less that $2 for 2 pounds; I'd say that BMG is breaking even on that start-up deal, and making money hand-over-fist on any subsequent purchases.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I prefer downloading full albums from eMule. Way cheaper and probably more selection as well.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Since stores like BMG and Columbia House generally don't sell most of the stuff I listen to, I still buy CDs the old way : on shelves. Costs me more per CD, but I'm not tempted to buy more disks than I would otherwise so all in all, I don't spend much on audio CDs. I must have around 40-50 CDs and I bought them over a ten years period.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
It matters if you value having any freedom on the internet whatsoever.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
And the freedom to paying to download reduced-quality clips of the same for-shit brand-name pop music I could buy locally is so important?

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Mercutio said:
for-shit brand-name pop music I could buy locally is so important?

If you feel that way about it, why would you download it all - legally or otherwise?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
i said:
Mercutio said:
for-shit brand-name pop music I could buy locally is so important?

If you feel that way about it, why would you download it all - legally or otherwise?

I don't download any music. I share a great deal of it, because the music that I enjoy has exactly zero exposure in the for-pay services, and likely never will. A big recording company doesn't stand to gain anything from offering jazz or classical recordings - the market is too small. Therefore I'm all in favor of ANY alternative means of distribution.