Storage Forum 101: how to make sense of this madhouse

The Grammar Police

Learning Storage Performance
I seemed to drop out of this thread just as it got to the interesting (i.e., off-topic) bits.

Forgive me if I've mentioned this before, but I once had the long-term loan (i.e., several years) of a 1959 Fender Telecaster bass. A truly delightful instrument that made even me - more a refugee from my 12-string than a proper bass player - sound good. Rare too: there were at that time only a pair of '59 Teles in Victoria, and this one much the better of the two. Perhaps just one now. (My friend moved to London and took his Fender with him.) Maple neck and power blue body, and that perfect weight and balance that only Fender guitars ever seem to achieve. Soft and gentle on the hands, a surprisingly high action, and so easy to play fast that one only wanted to play middling-slow and shape the beginning and the middle and the end of every note the way a trumpet player does.

The rest of my rig was simplicity itself: a Fender Super Six 100W guitar amp head (shorn of the six 10 inch speakers that were originally a part of it), a good 15 inch speaker, a crossover, and one of the 10 inch speakers from the Super Six in a box I made myself. No pedals, no FX, just nice fresh valves in the Fender head.

There is a delight to a truly fine instrument that is, perhaps, impossible to describe properly. It's commonplace, I guess, to say "it plays itself", but that is almost exactly what a really great instrument does: one stops being aware of the mechanics of it all, gives little or no thought to fingering or technique, just falls in love with the wonderful sounds that are happening without you, the musician, being particularly aware of how you are creating them.

That's true on one level, and yet on another level you are aware of what you're doing, of the techniques you are using. This awareness is quite different to the "normal" awareness one has of fingers and strings and sounds and intentions: it almost an "after the fact" thing, something that one is simply aware of and accepting of and thankful for, as opposed to the rather mechanistic willed and intellectualised effort that one puts into playing any ordinary instrument. I suppose the best analogy is that of good sex on the one hand, and actually making love on the other.

Indeed, now that I think of it, I would trade a night with all bar a very, very small number of the women I have known over the years for a one more golden night when the guys catch fire and the dance floor fills to the rolling thunder of my beautiful borrowed Telecaster bass.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
For some on topic stuff:

I'm The JoJo, please to meet you all.

I'm working as a Senior Test Engineer in a Software company. In my spare time I build computers, OC my own computer, try to learn Linux and install the FAH client on every possible computer...;)

Off/On topic:
Managed to sell my gf's computer. Maybe a XP1800 would be enough for her wordprocessing, or what do you think people?

Oh, yes, the FAH client just might end up running on that computer too... ;)

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
The JoJo said:
Off/On topic:
Managed to sell my gf's computer. Maybe a XP1800 would be enough for her wordprocessing, or what do you think people?

Wordprocessing?

I think she's going to need something from Cray for that, don't you?

:wink:

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
hmm, a cray for wordprocessing? she better keep her files small then. you don't want it bogging down with 10+ pages of word documents...

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The JoJo said:
I'm working as a Senior Test Engineer in a Software company.
You gotta agree that IT is a weird world for calling people like this guy, a senior at anything. Not exactly what I have in mind when I think about an old snock (senior). Or maybe it's just me...

P.S. Try to let that beard grow a bit and use grey colorant for hair, then maybe Senior will sound a bit more correct. ;-)

Explorer

The Grammar Police said:
...Forgive me if I've mentioned this before, but I once had the long-term loan (i.e., several years) of a 1959 Fender Telecaster bass. A truly delightful instrument that made even me - more a refugee from my 12-string than a proper bass player - sound good. Rare too: there were at that time only a pair of '59 Teles in Victoria, and this one much the better of the two...

I was playing a Telecaster BASS recently. I've played a few from time to time over the years. I'd have to say that I *still* favour the Jazz Bass slightly over the P- or Tele- basses. The Telecaster bass was available for a long time, even through most of the 1970s.

I do own 3 (quite different) Telecaster guitars, though. One is a Telecaster Thinline 72 with a resonate ash semi-hollow body and 2 Fender stagger-pole humbuckers, a Tele Custom with a heavy '60s-style double-bound alder body and Barden blade pickups, and a Tele Designer Series with a select very light solid ash body with Fender Texas Special single coil pickups utilising a unique 4-way pickup selector.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Howdy everybody, this is mubs. I'm here courtesy Tannin (discovered SF through him). I used to lurk the forums over at SR (still do) and was away between 09/2001 and 08/2002, with little chance of getting on the Net to do anything meaningful, so I missed a lot.

Anyway it's good to be back!

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Bartender, I finally found an American beer that I can drink. Miller "High Life". Quite close to a normal Australian beer, and around $9 for 30 cans at Eckerds. Beats that overpriced Molsons (people were looking at me strangely). Perhaps we could have it on tap at your fine establishment?

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Ahh, many thanks Bartender. I have this problem where I usually end up on the floor (hoping for a peek up Tea's dress) before I get to that end of the bar.

The Giver

DrunkenBastard said:
Ahh, many thanks Bartender. I have this problem where I usually end up on the floor (hoping for a peek up Tea's dress) before I get to that end of the bar.
Talk about self-destructive behavior.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
The Giver said:
DrunkenBastard said:
Talk about self-destructive behavior.

I believe that his alias makes that point quite apparent.

The Giver

Actually Buck The Giver was talking about peeking up Tea's dress.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks for the welcome, folks. Sorry I disappeared for a while. Much as I'd like to hang out with fine folks like yourselves, free time is a constraint.

Bartender, a round for eveybody on me, please, thank you!

Dïscfärm

mubs said:
...Bartender, a round for eveybody on me, please, thank you!

Äll öf dëëz nëw mëmbërs sö süddënlÿ! Äll öf dïs dwïnkïng sö süddënlÿ! "Böttömz üp! Böttömz üp!" thë vöïcë sëz! Ï äm nöw sö..... jüst söööööööööööööööö.... DWÜNK! Ï thïnk ït's Tëä's fäült!

Hëÿ Mübs! Whät mëäns mübs? Ï knöw thät NÜBS mëäns Nön Ünïförm B-Splïnë.

Öh! Öh mÿ göd! Ëvërÿthïng sëëms därk! Ït's gëtting ëvën därkër! Öh. Wäït. Ït's jüst mÿ sünglässës slïppïng döwn! Ï stïll hävë my sünglässës ön änd ït's... 3 ÄM! ÖK, whërë's mÿ wällët?!? Äll öf dïs dwïnkïng! Ï thïnk ït's Tëä's fäült!

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Last time I drove him home he threw up in the car.

We need someone with a pickup truck so he can ride in the bed.

Groltz

Tannin said:
With "I'm changing the climate" sticker? Or without?

Without, in this case.

You have to put that sticker on him after he has overindulged in 3-alarm TexMex chili.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
The Batender told me that we can get TP from THG to give Dïscfärm a drive home. We don't care if Dïscfärm pukes, and TP will have someone (albeit passed out) to talk to that won't talk back.

skeet

What is this storage?
The Grammar Police and a Tele

Brought tears to my eyes! Or maybe it was the old Tele bass I was playing.

I've just got it back from a setup. It has been gigged a bit in the last ten years, so I thought I would do the right thing and get a fret dress and finally pay some attention to the failing electronics (scratchy pots and the like). You'll be pleased to know it's still a good girl. Sometimes, old guitars seem to want to tell you stories and your job is just to listen...

For those that don't know...
"My mate Des, he owns a motel
He thinks times are tough, I think he's doing pretty well
He says things aren't what they used to be,
can't afford a Rolls just a Mercedes"

Loads of cool posts about guitars and stuff. Got a dozen or so myself so I'm feeling more at home. The Les Pauls been setup by a robotic system called "PLEK". It does the fret grind under string tension which is a pretty cool development - also does a seperate fret grind for each string, no more buzzing fourth string. (I wanted to say G-string but couldn't quite manage it. It's a sad story about a Policewoman throwing a black leather number into the front seat after a car accident had ripped the back off the van I was driving, throwing all my worldly possesions across a major intersection in Melbourne. Morally of the story - don't have gay friends or take bets - Ever!!!)

Oh yeah, I'm Peter, I don't own a computer and I thought storage related to cupboard space. But I'm learning fast and having a laugh!

skeet

What is this storage?
Sorry about the previous post, I've just figured-out how to quote a previous post. I was of course back referencing "The Grammar Police", who had very eloquently rendered a non-sober portrayal of the smokey club, blues session, tortured soul, art-house bass player, propping up the destined for greatness, unsympathetic, self-centred guitarist, the "my arms are too long" drummer and the talented but tragic female beauty who sings her heart out, night after night.

Beautiful stuff. I felt it! I thought you played in a Disco band, Tony!

Explorer said:
I do own 3 (quite different) Telecaster guitars, though. One is a Telecaster Thinline 72 with a resonate ash semi-hollow body and 2 Fender stagger-pole humbuckers, a Tele Custom with a heavy '60s-style double-bound alder body and Barden blade pickups, and a Tele Designer Series with a select very light solid ash body with Fender Texas Special single coil pickups utilising a unique 4-way pickup selector.

I've got Texas Specials in my Tele and I can't get on with them at all. Funny how one mans meat...

Groltz

Hmmm.

Gary, let me know if you want to add yet another guitar to your collection. I would really like to sell mine...cheap.

iGary

Dïscfärm said:
...Äll öf dëëz nëw mëmbërs sö süddënlÿ! Äll öf dïs dwïnkïng sö süddënlÿ!

Dïscfärm, have you been drinking cough syrup or something??? You normally make perfect logical and even virtual sense when you talk, or as we say in the business, you have all of your controllers in a row. But here, you seem to be hallucinating and rambling on in a desultory fashion, not to mention that all of your vowels look as if they've been snakebitten!

It's time now for you to return to your proper place on the disc farm. You weren't meant for city life.

iGary

Groltz said:
Hmmm.

Gary, let me know if you want to add yet another guitar to your collection.

Er... probably not. Each guitar I have actually has a distinct purpose in my collection.

I would really like to sell mine...cheap.
I guess there's always E-Bay.

BTW, what is your guitar?