Storage Forum New York City Tour Guide

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
<smack>

And yes, with an aunt as interested in Geneology as mine, I can find out who was banging my many-times great grandmother. The simple answer is my many-times great-grandfather. :)

But seriously, if you're into that sort of thing, there are more geneological resources online that one can shake a stick at.

(My personal heritage is that both sides of my family have been in the US since the early - mid 18th century, previous to that my familial heritage is German/Bavarian and Anglo. My girlfriend, sorta, is of german-irish descent. So no evil Iraqi or Greek <j/k> blood in me.)

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
But Prof, the rest of the world is driving on the wrong side.

Thats true... everyone had their horses on the left before that prat named Napoleon came and changed everything with his left-handedness... With 100 countries or so still driving on the left, it will still take some centuries to get rid of it if ever...
[/quote]

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I did, didn't I? I could've said "German", although at the time my ancestors left Bavaria it was still its own country. My family had some kind of titular ranking (Graf?) in Bavaria. I don't know much about it.

James

Storage is cool
I too was in Canada for the referendum. It was a pretty close run thing, but I completely agree that it showed that at least half the people in Quebec don't want to leave Canada.

I'm afraid I don't see how Quebec would survive financially as a nation without assistance - particularly once the car industry left. Surely you can keep your culture and language, and still remain part of Canada?

It's also strange how many Quebecois continue to call themselves "French" - you're either Quebecois or Canadian, you're certainly not French. Plus the French have great difficulty understanding Quebecois French anyway, even though the languages have only been seperated for a fairly short time. You have your own culture and language - by all means celebrate that. But it's silly to think that you need to seperate from the rest of Canada in order to maintain your identity. Quebecois certainly aren't the only people in Canada who feel that the government isn't taking care of their special needs - try visiting Newfoundland (or any of Eastern Canada) sometime!

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
James said:
I too was in Canada for the referendum. It was a pretty close run thing, but I completely agree that it showed that at least half the people in Quebec don't want to leave Canada.
A lot of people don't have a clue about politics. I know a bunch of them. That's especially true for the elders. Back in their time, the priests were the ones who told them how to vote (the sky is blue, the hell is red - these were the colors of the two main political parties before 1960). Others are simply not interested. You know, even if I think that Québec is a damn good place to live, we still have our fair share of imbeciles. Like every other places of the world.

James said:
I'm afraid I don't see how Quebec would survive financially as a nation without assistance - particularly once the car industry left.
You talk like if you believe we live on the back of the rest of Canada. It's totally wrong. If we would cost them all that much, why would they beg us to stay. Yes, you read it correctly : BEG. The amount of (wasted) money the federal government spends in pro-Canada advertisement is ridiculous. Don't take what you heard in the english-speaking media for cash, James.

Besides, FYI, 95% of the canadian car industry is in Ontario. The only car manufacturer that still is in Québec is GM at Boisbriand and they give us practically 0$ because of the special consessions our government gave them the last time they treaten to leave. Their plan is supposed to stop all activities this year. Big deal. Car industry is a drop in the ocean for our economy. We have many other ressources. Don't worry, we would do just fine without the english trying to control (screw) everything in our economy. And since the mid-90s, Québec gives more money to the federal than it receives in return (like most other provinces too because the fed. gov. refuses to share fairly and they use too much of that money in order to cut their overweighted debt, they get all the credit for it too). Nonetheless, we have managed to post positive figures for the last three years anyway. But that's probably just luck to your eyes, we obliously don't know how to count, don't we?

James said:
But it's silly to think that you need to seperate from the rest of Canada in order to maintain your identity. Quebecois certainly aren't the only people in Canada who feel that the government isn't taking care of their special needs - try visiting Newfoundland (or any of Eastern Canada) sometime!
So a few years in the West and you have all figure it out huh? The truth is that there have been endless negociations between our gov. and their gov. to reach an agreement that would let us gain more control on our destiny (not just culture) in the past 20 years, to no avail. Last time I remember, (Lake Meech proposal), our rebel and barbaric government (that's how you see us, isn't it?) was ready to re-enter in the canadian constitution and 8 provinces with the federal government. But two provinces rejected the deal (Manitoba and Newfy land). Blame us again if you wish. IMO, we have done our fair share of effort, but when the other side is stuck, it's time to pass to something else.

BTW, I don't give a shit of the issues that some provinces might have with the federal government. That's their problem, not our. If they agree to live with it, fine for them, but it doesn't mean that we have to bend as low as they do just to be part of their so-beloved Canada. Modern Canada is almost entirely controlled by Ontario and most major politics are made to benefit them at the expense of the others. That's a whole different story though, in which I would prefer not to dive.

In fact, I would rather stop this discussion right here (at least on everything related to Québec). The reason of that additional post from myself in this thread was only to correct points on which I radically disagree. I know it won't change anything in the way you think, but I somehow had to add the above anyway. I believe you would feel the same if I would say things about your country on which you wouldn't agree. And I'm very tired too so some parts of this reply might sound a bit agressive, but I'm just not in the mood to re-write it to make it look softer. I'll leave raw as it went out.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Mercutio said:
I did, didn't I? I could've said "German", although at the time my ancestors left Bavaria it was still its own country. My family had some kind of titular ranking (Graf?) in Bavaria. I don't know much about it.
OMG!
Von Mercutio that is? :bow:

LOL, one day you're gonna return in Germany and discover your long lost legacy... A castle in the Bavarian countryside and scores of €s in Swiss acounts... and a family photo with Hitler... :eek:
Mwahahaha...

(anyway, I believe today's Bavaria hasn't got so many differences with today's Germany... it's not like Québec-Canada)

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Rocco Siffredi said:
everyone had their horses on the left before that prat named Napoleon came and changed everything with his left-handedness...
Hmm, looking out of my window I fail to see any horses... :-? Thus: no horses, no problem.
With 100 countries or so still driving on the left, it will still take some centuries to get rid of it if ever...
Keep trying! :wink:

I'm not looking into how it changed. But it changed... bear with it...
(Anyway, trains and trams still go on the left here in Rome.)

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Since the dominant hemisphere of the brain for motor control is the left, I prefer to drive on the right side (steering wheel left)...
This gives me much better control for my right hand which changes frequently the gears... :wink:

me

What is this storage?
I drive wherever the hell I want to. Straight down the middle, or the sidewalk ... it's all the same to me.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
me said:
I drive wherever the hell I want to. Straight down the middle, or the sidewalk ... it's all the same to me.
Hmm... indeed very selfish attitude!
What's your name again?! :lol:

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Ignore him Prof Wizard. He's unstable.

James

Storage is cool
CougTek said:
In fact, I would rather stop this discussion right here (at least on everything related to Québec). The reason of that additional post from myself in this thread was only to correct points on which I radically disagree. I know it won't change anything in the way you think, but I somehow had to add the above anyway. I believe you would feel the same if I would say things about your country on which you wouldn't agree. And I'm very tired too so some parts of this reply might sound a bit agressive, but I'm just not in the mood to re-write it to make it look softer. I'll leave raw as it went out.
Fair enough. But you read too much into what I said - I'm always open to hearing the views of people on both sides of an argument - hell, after 3 years on SR as of next month I think you have plenty of evidence of that! It's true that my view was coloured by the media in Eastern Canada - they were always nervous of the issue since they saw a strong Quebec "seperating" them from the rest of Canada. Plus I think a lot of Canadians were hurt by the thought of Quebec wanting to leave.

Remember too that I left Canada in September 1997, so what I experienced dates from then. Quebec's issues don't get well publicised outside Canada, making it hard to follow the debate. And as you well know, the Globe and Mail isn't exactly the greatest source of unbiased commentary.