StorageForum_net overtook Microsoft!

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Of course, I'm speaking about our Genome@home team ;-)

You can see the official team ranking here. We are currently 193rd, just in front of team Microsoft.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
CougTek said:
Of course, I'm speaking about our Genome@home team ;-)

You can see the official team ranking here. We are currently 193rd, just in front of team Microsoft.

Coug, "overtook" means we have passed them. It would be more appropriate to say we "are overtaking" them. :)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I was just trying to show my cultural identity difference to all of you ;-)

Seriously, we should be allowed to ask for a correction by the moderator when we make horrible spelling mistakes like this one. I don't mind if it's a mod who corrects it, as long as it disapears.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Ack.

1. I was not looking at the same graph you were. The stats available from the SF frontpage shows SF at 193 and MS at 192.

2. I did not read your post closely enough. Your grammer was consistent.

3. While we did pass MS (they are now 194), we have not moved from 193. We have also been passed.

4. I know I don't show up in the lists. My machines are not very fast. I do have a few running 24/7 so I might produce a big burp every now and then.

Never give up the fight!

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
But, thinking about it, "overtook" should be right. I mean, we aren't "overtaking them", we did it. So it's part of the past and therefore "overtook" is the correct tense, isn't it?

6 hours ago, when we were still behind them but we were sure to pass them in the near future, I would have writen that we "will overtake" team Microsoft. At the moment we passed them, I would have writen that we "are overtaking" team Microsoft. But now that it's done, why isn't we "overtook" team Microsoft right?

You must be right, I'm trying to understand.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I didn't read your last post before I replied.

Are you sure that you have entered the correct team account number for the client? Unless your computers are very, very old, you should have already sent a few units for us since you started.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
I am running one computer at the moment. It is a dual celeron 550, 512MB.

G@h says I've completed 1 superloop and 7 subloops. Whwn I started it a minute ago it said I was starting with sequence 23. It also says I have 71 positions to filter. I have no idea what I have to get to finish this gene.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
You still have 7 sequences to compute before completing your protein. When you'll be done, your name should appear (within a day) in our team stats page.

What's your username by the way? My guess is that it's Cliptin, but who knows.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Yeah, should show up as Cliptin.
How did you calculate how far I had to go?
What's weird is the fact that I have been participating since the team's inception.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I searched your username on the Genome@home web site and I ended up with this. I don't think it's you because you certainly didn't start back in January. Something must be misconfigured with your client.

You should close the client, run the user info configuration and re-enter your data again but with another username then Cliptin because there's been an usurper who stole it from you. You can change it to something like Cliptin_SF or Clipton ;-). Don't forget to add your team account number (678294834) so that your work will be add to our team.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
I think that is me. No one would be foolish enough to usurp my ID. I checked the creation date of my G@h folder and it was created 12/13/01. The gene you found I had finished on 1/08/02.
Looks like it takes me a month to finish a gene. :roll:

Handruin

Administrator
Nah, it shouldn't be taking you a month to finish a gene if you run if often enough. The Xeon 500 MHz I'm running pumps them out at least one a day. Then again, if you run it an hour a day, then maybe so. :)

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Handruin said:
Nah, it shouldn't be taking you a month to finish a gene if you run if often enough. The Xeon 500 MHz I'm running pumps them out at least one a day. Then again, if you run it an hour a day, then maybe so. :)

Until yesterday I was running it concurrently with UD. Quite often I was also using the machine for email and web-browsing. I have turned off UD we'll see how it goes.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Damn it, I grew up in the Sixties, when teaching formal grammer went out of fashion until everyone realised what a horrible mistake that had been, and stuck it back into the curriculum again. Too late for me though, so although I know what the rules are, I don't know what the proper names for them are.

But "overtook" is simple past tense, which is not appropriate. You'd use "overtook" for something that happened a long time ago, or in the case where the race is already over: "Prost overtook Mansell on the 23rd lap, and went on to win the race", for example.

As Coug says, "are overtaking" is present tense and inappropriate if we have already done it.

What we need here is a form that indicates past tense but (damn it - there is a term for this particular tense which I don't know - refer to my note about poor education above) less strongly than the simple past tense of "overtook". And that form is "has overtaken". For example: "Mansell has overtaken Prost but has not stopped for tyres yet."

</pedant mode>

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Tannin said:
What we need here is a form that indicates past tense but (damn it - there is a term for this particular tense which I don't know - refer to my note about poor education above) less strongly than the simple past tense of "overtook". And that form is "has overtaken". For example: "Mansell has overtaken Prost but has not stopped for tyres yet."

</pedant mode>

You are looking for Present Perfect Tense. An action that was done in the past, but continues into the present - which can be formed by using "has" or "have" and a past form of the main verb.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Yes, I learned present perfect, but my problem with it in this present case is that the action of overtaking Microsoft isn't continuing, it's past. We did it. Not long ago, but it's done anyway.

Find me a proper explanation or I'll give up on English and limit myself to the use of a better language. :lol:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Don't feel bad, Tannin, I never learned grammar, either. Since I was slotted in with the "gifted" kids in school my whole life, no one ever bothered to teach it to me. I write and speak passably well without knowing and my instructors through all my years of schooling rightly figured it'd be wasting everyone's to teach the rules the "gifted" kids had already internalized. Made trying to learn a second language devilishly difficult, though.

"Has Overtaken" sounds right to me.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
"Has Overtaken" sounds right to me", says Mercutio.

It doesn't sound right, it is right. I have no idea what the correct terms for these things is (thankyou Buck for making at least a small hole in my large black hole of ignorance), but no child of my mother would ever get that one wrong.:(