Stress Test

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Are there any decent utilities that write to storage and read confirm multiple cycles for the purpose of stress testing? I need to be 100% sure of operational function and manual tests require too much of my time (effort). I'm not so concerned about duration.

LunarMist

I test and test and test and cannot find any defects.:errr:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Maybe there aren't any?

I'd probably use Spinrite as well. Or whatever else might be on Hiren's bootCD.

LunarMist

It makes sense to me as being needed and less likely to wear anything out. I thought the memory was rated for tens of thousands of erase cycles.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
The problem with Flash memory cards and USB sticks is they don't have as effective wear levelling algorithms as SSDs, if they have any at all.

They also use significantly lower quality NAND chips.

Combine those two factors and wear should be minimized. They fail faster than they 'should', unfortunately.

LunarMist

:pale: Historically I've only had problems in the first few uses, so I was hoping to weed out any early defects. I usually use a CF card 50-100 times after which it becomes completely obsolete. Maybe I should rethink the capacity.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't think running them through a few cycles is unreasonable. Especially in an attempt to decrease finding a DOA in the field.