Stupid case innovation

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
OK, it's not stupid. But I found the neatest thing on a cheap, $18 case (thankfully, it wasn't $18 with a power supply).

What is it?

It's a 1" thick, 2" long piece of fairly bendy metal that hooks upwards, off the motherboard tray, parallel to the bottom edge of the power supply.

It holds all your power cables out of the way! It lifts them away from memory banks and IDE ports.

Why the hell doesn't every case have one of these?!? I've been building computers for 15 years, and this is the first time I've seen anything like it.

I'll take a picture if I can find a digicam I can borrow in the next hour or so.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
What's the chance of this neato piece of metal chafing through the wires it's holding out of the way over time?
Are the edges properly radiused?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It's finished metal, and the cables are laying flat on either side of it.
The piece in question could just as easily be plastic. I just think having a hook or strap there is a really great idea.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
I like zip-ties for keeping the wires out of the way.

Certain zip-ties have a tiny trigger release so they don't need to be cut off if you want to remove them. I have used a couple looped together in an "8" to hang off the case top structure and hold the psu cables out of the way in the past.

http://www.mcmaster.com
Catalog page 1337 "Reusable Nylon Cable Ties"

Handruin

Administrator
Like Groltz, I also use the zip-ties. However, I'd be interested in this little gizmo Merc speaks of. I've also used the 3M hooks on my desk, but never in my PC. The double sided tape never worked very well...maybe you've had better luck in the case?

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Antec has those embedded-into-case-twisty-plastic-cable-ties in some of their cases .... at least for the front panel wires.