Stupid Quest

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Maybe two questions.....

Every new case that you buy has a I/O shield installed on the back of the case. Has anyone ever found it to be the correct one for the motherboard they are installing??? :-?

Every power supply has a connector on it that has one red, two orange, and three black wires to it. The only reason I can find for it to be there is it's a brain teaser from the manufacturer. "See if you can find a place to stuff this" kinda thing. :-?

Bozo :mrgrn:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The I/O shield included with cases is the one that matches the PC99 specification. Unfortunately, technology has outgrown the PC99 spec, especially with regard to the number of USB and audio connectors on the I/O panel of the motherboard.

Personally, though, I find it annoying when a motherboard COULD use the standard shield, but doesn't (GA-7VM400, for example).

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
the extraPSU connector is called the aux connector and is much like the p4 connector on newer motherboards.. infact, I think I've only seen it used in intel systems. It's really been superceeded now and seems mostly there for legacy purposes.

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
blakerwry said:
the extraPSU connector is called the aux connector and is much like the p4 connector on newer motherboards.. infact, I think I've only seen it used in intel systems. It's really been superceeded now and seems mostly there for legacy purposes.
IIRC it was (is?) used on boards with more than two RIMM slots. And maybe in some Xeon boards before they started using the 24-pin ATX connector (=EPS, if my memory serves me right).

Cheers,

Jan

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
About I/O shields ... I feel your pain. I think I've posted here before about my search for an "Aurora" style I/O shield. I searched hard for one. (And actually, I could use 3 of them.)

Bozo, this is a very short guide, but you might find it useful:
http://www.tyan.com/support/html/io_shield.html

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Believe it or not, this post is on-topic:

Would anyone here trust their credit card details to a store called "Chow Big" (I swear I am not making that up) based in Brooklyn, NY, that features a somewhat flaky website?

ddrueding

Fixture
WRT "Big Chow": only with my AMEX business (great fraud protection).

WRT Power Connectors: IIRC that plug is half of the old "AT" power connector, later used as an AUX connector.

Handruin

Administrator
I'd probably use my CC only because I use a dynamic card through MBNA known as shopsafe. I create a new CC number that expires in 2 months for the exact amount needed. Once the order is processed, I cancel the card and no worries (except of course if they fail to ship me a product and charge me anyways).

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
i,

Cleaning up some junk and emptying some boxes I found an old i/o plate and for a brief period I thought I had found you a winner tonight. But alas it turned out not to be an Aurora. In fact, its not even on the page you linked...I'm thinking it might be some AT variation. Oh well. Nuts to be you.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Bozo said:
Every new case that you buy has a I/O shield installed on the back of the case. Has anyone ever found it to be the correct one for the motherboard they are installing???

Yes, it was a perfect match, my Apex 100G2 enclosures and the Soltek SL75DRV-4 motherboard.