Suggest a free zip/unzip proggie for W2k

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I currently use PowerDesk 3.03a which came with Fixit Utilities that I bought ~ 4 years ago. It comes with features I don't want (full windows explorer, viewers, etc.).

I'm almost done setting up a new instance of W2k, and am looking for a lean/mean utility that can uncompress, compress and make self-extracting archives. Has to be free!

There are too many options on the Net, so help me pick the right one please?

TIA! TIA!

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I use UltimateZip v2.7 Beta 3
http://www.ultimatezip.com/

It's an excellent little program.

fast, configurable, works on everything...

UltimateZip
UltimateZip the freeware archive utility for the new millennium.

-Built-in compression support for: Zip, Blak Hole, Cabinet, Jar, Lha ,GZip, -Tar, Tar-BZip2, and Tar-GZip archives.
-Built-in decompression support for: Ace, Arc, Arj , Rar, Zoo, Zip, Blak Hole, Cabinet, Jar , Lha, GZip, Tar, Tar-BZip2, and Tar-GZip archives.
-Built-in support for UUE and XXE encoded files.
-Zip and Mail feature.
-Self extracting Ace, Arj, Bh, Jar, Lha, Rar, and Zip archives.
-Multi-disk spanning for Zip archives.
-Splitting for Zip archives.
-Archive and file encryption using the AES standard (Rijndael).
-Windows shell integration.
-Checkout and Install features.
-Powerful backup feature.
-Batch Compressor,compresses individual files to individual archives.
-Batch Extractor, extract many files at one time.
-Repair broken Zip archives.
-Wizard for easy compressing, updating, extarcting, and decoding.
-Favorite Archive Folders for having all your archives in one list.
-Build-in text viewer.
-Virusscanner integration (external program needed).
-Archive converter, converts archives form one archivetype to another.
-Skinnable Toolbar.
-Quick Start Task Tray Tool.
-Windows XP Theme support.
and much more.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
The new version has a "sponsor screen" it's a 2 second or so splash screen that opens when you start the program.. I don't think you see it when you use Ultimate zip through the explorer shell extentions... only when you open up the program's main interface.

anyway.. the version I have doesn't have the stupid splash screen.

If you want, i can send you my version

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Ultimate Zip looks pretty good. I think I'll use that for future installations - thanks Blakerwry.

And I don't begrudge the author his splash screen; it's still less hassle than the WinZip equivalent, and using it doesn't violate any shareware agreement.

Myself, I own both ZipMagic 2000 and WinZip - neither of which are free. Both have unique features that I use, although Ultimate Zip could almost replace WinZip (but not quite).

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I spent a lot of time last evening installing and uninstalling several free (including Ultimate Zip) proggies that were recommended here and that got the highest ratings on Nonags and Tucows. They all seem very similar in features, speed and interface (with minor but annoying differences). Didn't try Winace. Sorry Tea, I didn't try Infozip because it lacks the ability to span volumes :( .

I'm an irritable, impatient ass, so I want something not too complicated. I think I'll settle for ZipCentral; it does what I want, the way I want it to (shell extensions work the way I expect); IMHO, it's got the cleanest UI after Powerdesk.

Thanks, everybody.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Seeing all those free compression tools, an idea pop'ed in my mind. Why not make a comparative review of all those? By comparing their speed and compression ratio for several types of archive. Testing if their performances vary from a Pentium 4 to an Athlon XP (for possible SSE2 optimisations for instance) would also be nice.

It would add something else to our site to draw more traffic. I don't volunteer for writing the article though, since I don't feel I'm a "software guy" so this task isn't for me. Reviewing hardware, no problemo, but software isn't my field.

Just a thought...