Super Size It

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Fushigi said:
5 platters in a 1" drive. Makes you wonder how hot it'll get.

I'd venture that it will be quite warm judging by the power dissipation (9W idle for IDE and 9.6W for SATA). At 31 dB, the idle noise is also high.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
75GB 75GXPs were warm and loud, but they weren't outrageous in any case.

I'd prefer more platters for higher areal density = better STR.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
thanks to its new Streaming Command Set. When used with compatible software, the industry-standard technology alters the drive's error-correcting functions during video streaming to permit minor errors rather than stopping the stream for correction. Although such errors are unacceptable in PC data, this results in smoother video, with rare, blink-and-you-miss-it imperfections. Hitachi says users should be able to turn this feature on and off.

interesting.....

.Nut

Learning Storage Performance
thanks to its new Streaming Command Set. When used with compatible software, the industry-standard technology alters the drive's error-correcting functions during video streaming to permit minor errors rather than stopping the stream for correction. Although such errors are unacceptable in PC data, this results in smoother video, with rare, blink-and-you-miss-it imperfections. Hitachi says users should be able to turn this feature on and off.

Actually, this is old news. (not the turning on/off the streaming protocol, just the video streaming protocol support)

http://www.seagate.com/cda/newsinfo/newsroom/releases/article/0,1121,1816,00.html