Surveilence camera suggestions...

ddrueding

Fixture
Well, my new business is finally moving ahead...

I need a system of 3 video cameras with the following features:

Color
Wall mountable
low-light capable (at least decent)
90-degree fov
focus range of 5-30 ft.
40' cable lengths

help? I have no idea where to start.[/list]

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Dave, will you be recording 24 hours a day, or just observing? Will you be able to run cables to each camera location? Is there an outlined budget for this project?

ddrueding

Fixture
Buck said:
Dave, will you be recording 24 hours a day, or just observing? Will you be able to run cables to each camera location? Is there an outlined budget for this project?

Ideally I'd like to be capturing to a PC 24/7. I'll be able to run cables to each location, power and data. I was hoping to get something for <$500, but after doing some research I don't know if that is possible.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Dave. I have setup video surveillance recording systems, but only with the traditional CCTV methods. You'll see that some of the video capture boards can be a bit expensive. I have used boards such as the GV-604 board in PIII systems. The boards I've used have four BNC connectors, but you can easily use a BNC-to-RCA converter if needed. Coupled with good CCTV cameras, these boards are priceless. It's great when you can remotely zoom or tilt the camera. The nice thing with these boards is that you can also hook up 4 different cameras on four different inputs so that each recording is 30-fps for nice detailed movement.

Alternatively, there are new items coming out as Fushigi pointed to that I do not have any experience with firsthand. However, their configurability in a CCTV setup is very limited.

Also, you'll want to consider if you want cameras with I.R. capability for recording in 0.0 lux environments. This is great for recording at night, especially outdoors.

The more expensive stuff seems a waste at times, but when it finally nabs a thief, you're happy you spent the money. For example, I had one place that spent big bucks on a real capture board, and some good quality hidden cameras. With the 30-fps recording, they were able to get a clear picture of the thief as he looked at the hidden camera (he didn't realize there was a camera, he just saw a nice picture in a picture frame) for a split second. If we had been recording at less frames per second, his face could easily have been missed. (This was inside a large company, and he had been let in by another employee. It was a team of people attempting to steal products.) You may have seen on other surveillance systems where you get two frames of the 'bad guy', both of which are blurs as they're walking by because the recording frames was low - bad idea. The downside, you need lots of hard drive space for 30-fps and several cameras. Three cameras recording in B&W with no audio, at 30-fps, 24-hours a day, will net you 10 days of data on a 60-gigabyte drive. Fortunately, the software will just write over the oldest days with new ones, so if you are not interested in archiving, it will just loop through the drive every n-days. However, if there is data you want to archive, you can always move the folder or the individuals frames you pulled out as jpeg's onto another storage source.

Hope this helps.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Well, it may be too low budget for you, but you might take a look at the "camera" section at All Electronics.

Depending on your needs, maybe you could just use a couple of video switchers to reduce the number of capture cards and storage systems you need. Can you live with 2 seconds (or whatever) cycled record time for a group of your cameras? Take a look at National Control Devices. They've been making their ASEL video switchers for years. I think it used to be $99 - now it's $149. So I guess it's been successful.

I bought a couple of CCD cameras from All Electronics back in 2001. Blunt, no frills service - no complaints at the time, no idea what they're like now. I've never bought anything from NCD, but I've been sorely tempted to try one of their ASEL units off-and-on for about 5 years as different video projects have come and gone.

One basic monitoring project I completed used a CCD camera about 200 feet away from a PC equipped with an ATI TV Wonder card. I found that RG58 coax cable formerly used in a 10base2 network (we had loads of the stuff lying around) worked incredibly well for carrying the signal from the camera to the PC. There was no visible signal loss. Radio Shack had the adapters to convert from the BNC connectors on the coax cable to the RCA/composite style connectors on the video camera and the capture card. I guess the shielded decent-quality demands of a thin-net network proved to be effective at delivering a good video signal as well.

ddrueding

Fixture
Buck,

That card looks to be just what I am after. I am concerned about this warning on their page, however:
A word of caution:There can be major incompatibilities between video capture boards, their chipsets and/or drivers and the chipsets on computer motherboards. In other words, not all computers are suitable - even extremely powerful and new systems. The incorporation of a video capture board into a non-Sentry computer system should only be attempted by individuals with a very strong technical understanding of computer hardware and software.

I'll be sticking it in an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe motherboard...any ideas?

i,

I don't have time to look at that right now, but I'll check it out tonight. Thanks for the feedback!

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
ddrueding said:
Buck,

That card looks to be just what I am after. I am concerned about this warning on their page, however:
A word of caution:There can be major incompatibilities between video capture boards, their chipsets and/or drivers and the chipsets on computer motherboards. In other words, not all computers are suitable - even extremely powerful and new systems. The incorporation of a video capture board into a non-Sentry computer system should only be attempted by individuals with a very strong technical understanding of computer hardware and software.

I'll be sticking it in an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe motherboard...any ideas?

Yes, I have talked with them about that. Their biggest concern was with compatibility on non-Intel based boards back when AMD was moving from Socket-7 to Slot-A. With modern Socket-A boards, I wouldn't worry much. However, if you want, you can always call them. That is what I did. To me it sounded like they couldn't provide a technical basis for their suggestion at the time, just opinions. Anyway, I was using Slot-1 and Socket-370 boards for those capture cards.