swapping laptop screen for higher resolution?

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
So let's say I have a Dell Studio 15 with a 1280x800 resolution screen. Just wondering if it would be a problem to get, say, a 1440x900 screen to replace it?

ddrueding

Fixture
I haven't done this, but here are my thoughts.

1. How standard is the interface to the monitor?
2. Is the power the correct voltage?
3. Are the mount points the same?

If Dell sells a Inspiron 15 with the required screen, that would be the best bet.

Striker

It's probably cheaper just to buy a new laptop with the screen you want.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Laptop screens don't normally work that way. In some cases the manufacturer might offer a few different options (glossy vs. non-glassy, UXGA vs. UXGA+ et al) but mostly that sort of thing only happens on nicer business models.

I guess maybe you could find out that particular screen's pinout and do some creative soldering but it's probably not worth it.

Stereodude

Not really a
So let's say I have a Dell Studio 15 with a 1280x800 resolution screen. Just wondering if it would be a problem to get, say, a 1440x900 screen to replace it?
It may be possible if Dell offered the 1440x900 screen on the Studio 15 and you get one of them.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
It may be possible if Dell offered the 1440x900 screen on the Studio 15 and you get one of them.

To OP, either you do or you don't have one, which is it? :p

Did any of you check *current* specs on the Studio 15?

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=DNCWBA2&s=dhs

So our hypothetical is an old version of Studio 15, unknown date of manufacture?

If the question were, could one, hypothetically, if one had mucho hombre balls, swap out screens oneself? Err, well yes. Would it be easy...well, no. Might you have problems galore...well, yes/could be/likely be :D

See this Mac thread for some fun details on trying to get a full 1080 screen in an older MacbookPro 15in model (warning, several hundred pages long...I believe the OP even got banned or a main contributor, lol):

Anyone interested in a Hi-def (1920 x 1200) mod for PB/MBP?
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=207751

*edit* well last time I looked at the thread it was several hundred...now it's >1k! :eeeeeks:

Say, did Handy add more Smilies, is it my imagination or is that monkey givin a 3-finger salute :p? :monky:

err, tech support or computer forum...maybe?

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
What, it was only 4min, meant to edit above post to say "posts" not >1k! pages... d'oh! (scared u 4 a sec, didn't I :p )

RWIndiana

Well I have acquired some experience changing laptop screens but I never tried doing one with a different resolution. I know the studio 15 comes optionally with a 720p, 900p or 1080p screen. I just didn't know if that meant they could be interchangeable on the same model.

RWIndiana

Thanks Merc, that's what I was looking for. :)
Haha, just started reading that thread, uda. I'm pretty sure if he can do that, I can do what I'm after without too much trouble. Now THAT is something I didn't think possible. Too much time on his hands?