Terminator 2 in Hi Def, upgrade your CPU

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
SteveC said:
Instead of using about 4-5 Mbps, they encode at 6-7 Mbps. The DVD spec allows up to 10 Mbps.
OK. Megabits per second? So you watch movies faster? :p
I guess that refers to the number of bits in one second of video? Does that then translate into the number of bits in one frame?

SteveC

Storage is cool
Howell said:
OK. Megabits per second? So you watch movies faster? :p
I guess that refers to the number of bits in one second of video? Does that then translate into the number of bits in one frame?

Yes, megabits per second. It's an average, and not a set number of bits per frame, since it's a variable bit rate. If it's a high action scene, it'll use more bits, but if there's little movement, it'll take less space.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
OK, I got the Extreme Edition Bonus disc.

The video is at 1440 x 816. 6790Kbps encoding rate. Takes 6.5GB of space. Pretty sttutery on my pee4 1.6GHz laptop. Still trying to get the POS running on the dual XP1700. Won't accept that I have a DVD codec installed (I don't on 2003, I just use a shortcut to an existing PowerDVD install).

At first I thought you needed to use the Interactual player to view it, but it's possible to use WMP instead.

Update, got it working on 2003, had to run the dvdrun.exe file to obtain the license. License is good for 5 days, then it has to reconnect to the Internet to get another one.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I forgot to mention that WMP is using about 450MB of mem :) Time to buy a new machine I think, too many dropped frames. I could upgrade the cpus to some MP2400+'s, but I'm worried that me Tyan 2460 mobo will burn out the PSU connector headers.

SteveC

Storage is cool
Pradeep said:
License is good for 5 days, then it has to reconnect to the Internet to get another one.

Is there a limit to how many times it can be renewed?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Apparently not, but in the license agreement, it mentions that the rights holder could terminate at anytime. It's like a mini-EULA. It does set a disturbing precedent. Oh yeah, and the DRM rights are "upgraded" during the license retrieval process, whatever that means.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
That is kind of disturbing. The owner that authenticates you might some day go out of business or the owner of the content might one day sell it, either of which coule leave people with a worthless plastic disc.

I hate the idea of erroring on the side of the recording industry.