The real speed bottleneck

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Seems to me that there is only one part of my system that slows me down. It causes constant frustration. Sure, it's only a few seconds delay, but every time I have to endure those few seconds I curse and swear, and in an average two hour computing session I have to endure them maybe six or eight times.

I mean, right now I'm using an Athlon XP1700 with DDR RAM and the best hard drives money can buy. It has everything I could wish for in the way of sound and graphics and the latest model CD-ROM drives. But I'd trade it for my old K6-III/450 in a flash if it meant getting rid of that last and most annoying bottleneck of all.

It's running Windows 2000 right now, and every time I open up "My Computer" it hangs, waits, scans, drives me up the wall while it looks to see if there is a disc in the CD drive (there always is) and spins it up to see what is on it. (Unless I've opened it already within the last few minutes.) Why, why why?

My almost identical ECS system at the office never does this, nor my DOS box, nor do any of my OS/2 systems, only the bloody Windows boxes.

Ahhhhhaarghh!

Err, now that I've calmed down a little, surely there is a registry hack or something? I mean, I can't believe that there is no way to disable this Microsoft stupidity sort of "format c:" and an ECS CD?

Adcadet

Storage Freak
That's why I place icons of all my drives and My Documents on my desktop. Although my PC does seem to hang for a moment when I insert a CD. And there seems to be other times when it mysteriously would hang for a second...but that was before my new motherboard died, so perhaps when I get my main PC up again I'll see if it still randomly decides to take a break.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Do what I do. Use Virtual Drive by Farstone. Copy CDs to your drive, take them out, stick em in the cupboard, forget you even had a CD-rom drive.