The Space Simulator Cluster

SteveC

Storage is cool
Shuttle really has a hit on their hands with those cases. I know I'm seriously considering getting myself one for my next PC.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Adcadet said:
why didn't they use Athlon CPUs?
Good question Adcadet. It might be that misleading subconscious belief that Intel CPUs always run cooler. It couldn't be for the best in stability, because the chipset used is from SIS. :D

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Adcadet said:
why didn't they use Athlon CPUs?
Although Shuttle made a cube box with an Athlon CPU, I think they are waiting to make an nForce2-based design before they launch a truly high-end cube using the Athlon XP.

honold

Storage is cool
i have a lot of experience with shuttle cubes in general. right now within about 10 feet of me i have:

1 6-node freebsd cluster 1ghz/256mb/20gb - sv24
1 6-node windows xp cluster 1ghz/256mb/20gb - sv24
1 4-node freebsd cluster xp2000/256mb/20gb - ss40
1 12-node windows cluster 2.0a/256mb/20gb - ss51 + 3 sv24 nodes

the athlons have quality control issues, and i have had to rma several to get stability, and the intel 2.0a cpus run cooler than the xp2000s using the exact same heat pipe/enclosure.

honold

Storage is cool
(that's 12 ss51s and 3 sv24s for a total of 15 nodes on that last one)

Handruin

Administrator
Can you explain more on the 12 node windows cluster? What software runs that?

Handruin

Administrator
Does it work well in windows? I work with MSCS all the time and I'm curious as to how other clustering software packages work in windows.

honold

Storage is cool
yes, it works as well in windows as it does in unix (or vice-versa)

i think we're going to be hanging on to the sv24s for a while, but i'll let you know as soon as they hit ebay ;)

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Well, i would really like one for myself, but I was thinking of my sister who doesn't have a PC of her own(she shares one with my parents) and it really doesn't meet her specs very well.

My sister is quite a bit younger than me and doesn't have a job, and my parents have little interest in buying a computer specifically for my sister. Their rational is that if it meets their requirements why wouldn't it meet hers.

The reason I mention this is that they were planning on getting another PC, but it would be for them and my sis would get the old PC (even though the current PC more than meets my parent's requirements).

I thought If I could get an X-PC cheaply I would be able to give it to my sister and my parents might be able to donate some of their money for a monitor.