The sweet sweet sounds of AC97 in linux

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Wow, I'm feeling really proud of my self right about now.

I found a linux driver that enables AC97 audio and I installed it all by myself(thanks to the great readme)

I don't think I've ever heard such sweet sounds bellow from these cheap NEC speakers.

Incase you yourself would like to install support for your AC97 device in linux or a host of other operating systems, please visit

http://www.opensound.com/download.cgi

:p :roll: :D :) :mrgrn: :idea: :idea: :idea:

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
ihsan.... can you offer me your expert assistance?

I installed the Alsa driver (what a bunch of hoops).. but I do not have full sound support like I ahd with OSS drivers.

What I mean is: I can play sound from CD player, Xmms, Xine... but Gnome itself cannot play sounds and neither can nautilus(uses the gnome sound server)

When gnome or nautilus try to play audio i get a sound similar to someone taking the needle off a record that is still playing. This lasts for about 1 second and then the application becomes terribly unresponsive.

I have tried the "latest stable" 5.x drivers as well as the newer 9.0rc3 drivers from alsa.... but dont seem to be able to get things working.

I've spent the last 4 or 5 hours tearing my hair out trying to get it working but am out of ideas. Can you help me out?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I've searched every which way from Sunday and can't find a way to solve this. I'm thinking of plunking the $15 for the oss drivers... man, that reminds me of the kurta IS/One drawing tablet i bought a few yers back..... I payed $30 for it used.... only to find out that if i wanted to use it in win2k I would have to spend $60 on drivers.

Now that I think about how $15 is a quarter of the price of the mobo... and about the price of a new sound card I'm wondering what sound card will work well in this machine. Most people suggest using a SB16 (i dont have any ISA slots so it woul have to be the PCI version). IF I get the SB16 how do I know that it will work completely?

oddly enought, the reason I wanted sound was so I could have sound in gnome and hear the computer beep when I screw up... now that I envision the future I am beginning to feel bleak... I'm working very hard just to hear the computer tell me I'm stupid.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Aparently in addition to ALSA and OSS, VIA has actually made drivers for this card that are supposed to work in linux. Trouble is that I have not been able to find any instrcutions

the file comes as 74audio.mdk80.gz (this is the mandrake 8.0 drier)

I unzip it and end up with a 74audio.mdk80 file... what do I do with this file? in the console it is green and has a white astericks behind it... but i don't know how to execute it.

When I open it up in a text viewer it appears to be a binary file....

Does nayone have a suggestion for me?

(I didn't expect this post to diverge this way, If I had known I would have put it under tech support)