The ultimate mobile PC

Dozer

Learning Storage Performance
Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
I posted a link to a site detailing a linux-powered mp3 car system several weeks ago. This sparked my interest in designing and building a similar system that incorporates GPS navigation, mp3 playback, and various other vehicle functions to install in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have most of the hardware to make it happen, so the material cost should be low.

In my research travels, I uncovered the following link that you all may be interested in, a linux-powered VW Jetta. It caught my eye because this system is a first class design and installation job. It's a bit more elaborate than what I am designing, but impressive nonetheless:

http://www.dashpc.com

Anybody else have any experience with this type of project?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I've never had any experience with this type of project, but that VW is a first-class job. All that I can recommend is that you will need a great deal of patience and time - enjoy the project.

Dozer

Learning Storage Performance
Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
No doubt about the patience part. But half of the joy of these projects is the challenge. I don't want the project to come off looking amateurish, so slow and steady is my plan :)

I'll maybe try to post periodically with the progress.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
that's neato.

I think having the USB acceible like that is truely great... it would mean an easy way to get files on and off the car system from outside sources such as a memory stick or an external HDD.

I also enjoyed seeing the wood grain IR keyboard...