They're here...

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Promise ATA PCI controllers. They were popular about the time of ATA-66/100. They were way faster than the VIA ATA66/100 implementations, but as ATA-100 matured, they lost any advantage they had. Then SATA rolled around and people poo-poo'ed 'mere' ATA controllers.

Looks like there still may be a use for them. Sure to give a few on this board apoplexy though....

:)

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I would guess that most of these will be integrated in older laptops that only have PATA. But, come on a lot of new laptops are SATA. The prices are a bit steep still. I will go for it when they come down to around $300 (for a 32GB), and are available in SATA. Who wants to guess how long this will take?

Stereodude

Not really a
I will go for it when they come down to around $300 (for a 32GB), and are available in SATA. Who wants to guess how long this will take?
Looking at the general volatility of the flash market I'd say about anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 years.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Promise ATA PCI controllers. They were popular about the time of ATA-66/100. They were way faster than the VIA ATA66/100 implementations, but as ATA-100 matured, they lost any advantage they had. Then SATA rolled around and people poo-poo'ed 'mere' ATA controllers.

Looks like there still may be a use for them. Sure to give a few on this board apoplexy though....

:)
I forgot about those! Matter of fact, I still have one or two laying around here somewhere. Even have a 4 port PATA 3Ware RAID card. Hopefully motherboard makers will keep putting regular PCI slot on for a little while yet.

Bozo :joker:

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Those were the days when you could mod a Ultra 33/66/100 into a Fasttrack with a soldering iron and a BIOS flash. Who did that? I had several but none left anymore.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
That's why I bought mine, but it was useful as is so I never got around to it.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Those were the days when you could mod a Ultra 33/66/100 into a Fasttrack with a soldering iron and a BIOS flash. Who did that? I had several but none left anymore.

I did. Don't think I have any of those left though.

Bozo :joker: